Chapter 27: Fever

Double D slowly opened his eyes. He found himself lying on his stomach with half of his face buried in a soft pillow. He kicked away some of the blankets that surrounded his body.
"Ngh...Fuck."
His groggily brushed his long locks away from his face and lifted his head a bit. His light had been turned off and the curtains had been drawn leaving only the glow of the ant farm as a source of light. He dropped his head back onto the pillow and groaned.
"I feel like absolute shit."

"Hey! Wake up Sockhead! Why are ya hiding in the dark?"
Ed and Eddy barged into the room. Ed turned on the light and opened the blinds.
"Hello light."
The mid-morning sun poured into the room and filled every inch with its rays. Double D quickly hid underneath one of the pillows and pulled the covers over his head. Ed shot a concerned look towards his friend before walking over and proceeding to poke him in the ribs.
"Wakey wakey Double D!"
A muffled noise resembling something of a "no" drifted from underneath the sheets.
"U-um, I think it's best to let him be for a while."
The sound of Kevin's voice helped to relax the distressed boy.
"Where the fuck did those two come from?"
The bed dipped a little as someone sat on its edge.
"They had to stay overnight because of the storm. I hope you don't mind but they slept downstairs."
Double D groaned his indifference.
"Are you hungry? We brought you some food."
Another groan rose from beneath the pillow causing Kevin to chuckle. He playfully dangled a piece of bacon near the pillow.
"Come out and eat Eddward. I know you're hungry."

Eddy flopped onto Double D's office chair and began spinning around.
"Quit yer hiding Sockhead. We all know what's under your hat. You might as well come out and eat before Lumpy devours it."
The pillow shifted enough for a bruised, ice blue eye to peek out from underneath it.
"I'm not hiding from you. I'm hiding from the fucking sun. Now stop spinning in my chair before you break it...again."
"Here eat this. I know you're hungry."
Kevin shoved the strip of bacon near where he assumed the irritated boy's mouth would be.
"Ow! That was my eye you loser!"
The ginger tried to stifle his laughter as he listened to the muffled grumbles and swears coming from under the pillow.
"I'm sorry. Come again Eddward?"
"I said 'I want more.'"
Double D revealed more of his face as he shot a glare towards his boyfriend.
"Come out from under the pillow and I'll give you the rest of it."
The swimmer gave an annoyed groan before finally sitting up.
"There. You happy? Now give me the food."
"Here, I'll feed you since you've been so kind today."
Eddy paused his spinning just long enough to give a snort and a snarky comment.
"Pfft. Double D kind? Yeah right!"
"Kiss my ass."
"Eddward! Be nice!"
Double D rolled his eyes and leaned back against the headboard.
"Tch. Whatever."
Eddy scooted the chair back to the desk and began searching for any kind of projectile.
"Yeah Eddward. Be nice. You'd be a popsicle if it wasn't me and Lumpy here!"
"Eddy!"
Eddy rolled his eyes at Kevin's chastising.
"What? I'm just telling the truth!"
Kevin sighed and turned to place a syrup soaked bite of pancakes into Double D's waiting mouth.

The swimmer gave an exasperated sigh as he watched his friends goof off. Eddy had found a sheet of paper and began ripping it into small pieces. He took aim of the back of Ed's head and commenced to pelt him with paper balls. Ed rubbed his head but continued to play with the old skull replica that had been sitting on the desk. Kevin smiled as he watched Double D's frown disappear as he chuckled softly at their antics.
*****************************************

The swimmer sighed as he stepped into the shower. The warm water did nothing to shake the cold that filled his body. He turned the knob in the hopes that the heat would warm him.

"It looks like most of that storm has begun to melt away."
Kevin handed Ed his coat and turned to face the door.
"Thank you both again for helping yesterday."
Eddy gave a dismissive wave before slipping into his jacket.
"Yeah, yeah. Don't go gettin' all mushy on us. He's our money maker and our only hope for graduating so of course we'd make sure he was alright."
Ed bent down and came eye level with Eddy before giving him a sly grin.
"What's with you Lumpy?"
"You were worried about him Eddy."
"Ugh no I wasn't!"
Eddy swung the door open and bolted outside before either Ed or Kevin could call him on his bluff. He didn't travel far before he found himself face first in the melting snow.
"What tha hell?!"
He turned around and looked for whatever had caused him to faceplant into the ground. He spotted a brown corner hiding amongst the pile of white.

Double D savored the last bit of warmth before turning the water off and stepping out of the shower. He covered as much of himself with the towel as he began to shiver. He quickly dried himself off and threw on a pair of boxers and his pajama pants. Although he felt as though he were freezing, he knew that putting on a shirt would only cause his body temperature to rise even more. He grasped his toothbrush and turned on the sink. His hand tightened on the bathroom counter as he felt himself begin to fall over. He shook his head to clear away the dizziness and weakly brushed away the lingering taste of alcohol.
"I really fucked up this time."

"Thank you again Ed!"
Kevin waved goodbye to the duo as they walked down the hidden sidewalk. The taller of the two carried his snow covered friend under his arm while said boy grumbled and muttered unheard curses. The ginger closed the door and turned around to admire the large box that Ed had dragged in for him.
"I wonder what they sent..."
He ran into the kitchen and returned with a knife and cut the tape covering the box.

Double D took in a deep breath and tried to lift himself away from the door. He swayed a little as he tried to stand upright. His hand grabbed the doorknob and stumbled out of the bathroom. He dragged himself towards his room but groaned when he realized his bed sheets were missing.

Kevin smiled as he pulled his belongings out of the box. He gave a soft gasp as his eyes fell on a familiar pouch.
"They even sent my pens!"
He quickly grabbed the pouch and headed towards his room.

He froze in the guest room doorway the moment his eyes fell on Double D. The raven had made himself comfortable in the middle of his bed and his heavy breathing could be heard even from the doorway. Kevin quietly placed the pouch in his messenger bag and walked towards the heavy covers that Double D had hidden himself under.
"Eddward?"
The breathing paused long enough for a broken moan escape the swimmer's lips.
"Hey, are you alright?"
He pulled the layers of fabric back just enough to expose Double D's pale face.
"Eddward?"
The boy's sweaty brow furrowed slightly before his face relaxed again. The ginger gently placed the back of his hand on his boyfriend's forehead but immediately pulled it away. He dashed out of the room only to return a few minutes later with a handful of items.

He lifted the chisel and looked down at the rough "F" he had carved. The lines were jagged and crooked. He frowned and threw the necklace into the trash can.

A soft creak drew his attention to the basement door.
"Come ma fraise, it's warm out today. Let's go for a swim."
The boy quickly hid the chisel and string and jumped up from the work station.
"Oui Mamìe!"

Double D was suddenly pulled from his sleep by the appearance of something cold. He summoned what little strength he had and pushed away the water that touched his lips.
"You need to drink this."
He rolled his head away from the sound of the voice.
"Come on. Don't be difficult Eddward, we need to bring this fever down."
The cold liquid reappeared at his lips. He took a sip then turned away.
"It's cold..."
"I know. Just bear with it. Here these will help."
He was vaguely aware of the soft clink of the glass as it was temporarily placed on the nightstand. Two pills appeared on his tongue before the water returned. He shivered and took another sip before letting his head fall back.

Kevin eased Double D back onto the pillow.
"The medicine should help to bring it down some. You'll feel better in no time Eddward."
Double D cracked his eyes open just enough to make out Kevin's silhouette. He smiled weakly as he reached out and stroked a freckled cheek with the back of his hand.
"Merci Citrouille."
****************************************

The ginger sighed as he flipped open his notebook and found a blank sheet of paper. He gave one last glance towards Double D before he pulled out his favorite pen and began to write.