Chapter 8: Breakdown Part 1

The coach pulled Double D aside as soon as he climbed out of the pool.
"What's going on with you today Vincent? That was your slowest time yet!"
"Sorry, my mind was elsewhere."
"Well it needs to be focused on next week's meet."
"I understand."
He walked into the locker room and turned on one of the showers. He quickly rinsed the chlorine off of his body and dried himself off.

He listened to his teammates laugh and joke around before clearing out of the locker room. He solemnly leaned against his locker and stared blankly at his phone.  He let out a heavy sigh as he began typing.
"When were you planning on telling me?"
A few minutes passed before he received a response.
"I apologize Eddward."
"That doesn't answer my question."
"I don't know."

His fingers hesitated before he sent his next message.
"When?"
"Next week."
"Why? Why can't you stay? What's the point of moving away this close to graduation?"
"I'm sorry Eddward."
Double D threw his phone to the floor. He held his hand to his face as the tears began to flow.

Kevin hurriedly caught the door to the pool as a few swimmers walked out into the night. He quietly tiptoed into the locker room in hopes that Double D was still there. He heard soft sobs coming from inside. He peeked around the corner and found Double D hunched over on the floor.
"...Why?"
A soft thud sounded throughout the room as Double D's head hit the locker. He stared blankly at the ceiling as the tears continued to fall.

"Eddward..."
He started to round the corner to comfort the swimmer but stopped in his tracks as a loud bang cut through the silence of the room. He slid back against the wall as Double D angrily drove his fist into the locker.
"Fuck!"
Another bang filled the room, quickly followed by the aggressive clicking of boots. Kevin scurried to the other end of the wall and ducked around the corner. He watched nervously as Double D stormed out of the room and kicked open one of the exit doors.

He made sure to stay far behind so that he wouldn't be noticed. His phone suddenly vibrated in his hand. Messages from Double D came one after another.
"I guess that means I'll need to find a new partner."
"Hopefully this one will pay better attention than you did."
"I might be able to actually get some work done for once."

Kevin looked up and saw Double D wiping away tears as he typed. His indifferent words seemed to express the exact opposite of how he truly felt.
"He's so upset. I've never seen this side of him before."
He hid behind a row of shrubs and hesitantly typed out a response.
"I'd be happy to assist you in finding another partner."
He heard Double D slam his fist into the fence a few moments later.
"Fucking idiot!"
He peeked his head from behind the bush. Double D's fingers danced across his phone screen as he typed out his message. He stared at it for a moment before letting out an angry growl. He released his fury onto the fence again.
"Stupid!"
He looked at his phone and let out another furious cry as he fell to the ground. Even from where he was, Kevin could see the angry tears begin to flow.

Double D glanced at the message he had typed out one last time.
"You idiot. You really don't pay attention. Haven't you noticed my feelings towards you? I don't care about a fucking lab partner. No one else can replace you"
He dragged his tired body to its feet and slowly trudged home.
"Four months... and I still can't say it..."

His eyes glued themselves to Kevin's house as he approached the cul-de-sac. He stopped at his door and stared blankly at the house across the street. His warm breath created a small cloud as he whispered under his breath.
"Why? Why does everyone I care for leave me?"