Chapter 11: Recovery

Double D groaned and pulled the covers over his face. The brightness of the sun made him acutely aware of his pounding migraine. He pulled his alarm clock under the covers and checked it before throwing it to the floor.He'd been on his latest binge for almost three days. He tried to piece together the events of the past few days. He remembered Ed telling him that Kevin would be moving. And that Kevin had confirmed it to be true. The last coherent memory was of him leaving the house in the dead of night to buy some alcohol in the hopes that it would help him stay sane. Everything else was a hazy, drunken blur. He vaguely remembered dreaming of Kevin's freckled face hovering above him. He groaned at the thought of the ginger and tried to convince himself that he didn't care about him moving.
"Maybe I'm destined to be alone."
He rolled onto his stomach and let out another pitiful groan.

His body tensed as his bedroom door creaked open. He listened to footsteps make their way towards him.
"Eddward? Are you awake? I made you something to eat."
He instantly relaxed at the sound of the soft voice. A plate being placed on his nightstand made his ears perk up.
"Where did you come from?"
"I've been here since yesterday, remember?"
"No."
He pulled the blanket down and peeked at the plate next to him. His hand shot out and grabbed a piece of bacon before disappearing back into the comforting darkness of the blanket.

"Why are you eating under there?"
Kevin gently pulled the blanket back. Double D hissed and covered his head with a pillow.
"Too bright..."
Kevin chuckled as he moved to close the curtains and turn off the light.
"Is that better?"
Double D slowly moved his pillow away and looked around the room. He grunted his approval of the darkness before sitting up in bed and hungrily devouring the food Kevin had cooked.
"Here's something for your hangover."
Kevin held out a pill and a cup of cold water. The starving boy quickly grabbed the medicine and swallowed it. A few minutes passed before either boy spoke.

"You've been here since yesterday?"
"Er- yes. I came to bring you the homework for this weekend. You missed two days of school and I didn't want you to fall too far behind."
"And that made you stay overnight?"
"Well..."
"And make me breakfast? Are you sure nothing else happened yesterday?"
"L-like what?"
Double D smirked and placed his plate on the nightstand.
"Did you come to give me a farewell present, Pumpkin?"
"U-uh no! Nothing like that!"
"Good. It'd be a shame if I couldn't remember getting a gift from you."
"U-um, right..."
"Did you sleep with me?"
"Huh?!"
"In the bed. Or did you sleep in the guest room?"
"O-oh... I d-didn't sleep. I stayed up to m-make sure you were a-alright."
Double D coyly grinned, knowing that he was making the ginger blush.
"Why wouldn't I be okay?"
"Because... um..."

Double D looked at Kevin for the first time since he had woken up. His eyes were instantly drawn to the two medallions dangling around the his neck. His smile quickly disappeared and his fists unconsciously clutched the sheets.
"Why do you have that?"
"My apologies Eddward. I forgot to return it to you last night. It fell off while you were in the tub and I-"
"What?"
"Uh"
"What do you mean 'while you were in the tub?'"
"U-um"
"What exactly happened yesterday?"

Kevin silently debated whether to tell the complete truth. He decided against mentioning the panic attack he had witnessed the night before.
"Y-you were overly intoxicated and your temperature kept rising. I didn't know what to do other than to give you a cold bath. I-I'm sorry."
Kevin hung his head in embarrassment as he removed the necklace.
"It's fine... I guess..."
He could feel Double D's eyes stare into his soul as he took his necklace back. He prepared himself for the next question he knew would come.

Double D's fingers brushed against his long hair as he put the necklace on. His hand automatically tried to hide his scar as he let out a sharp gasp. His breathing quickly became heavy and erratic.
"Where's my hat?!"
"Calm down, Eddward. It fell off last night. I didn't want you to get overheated again so I didn't put it back on."
Kevin opened the nightstand drawer and pulled the black beanie out. He gently moved Double D's hand and placed the hat over the shoulder length hair as best he could.
Double D turned to face the ginger. Baby blue eyes gave him a pleading look.
"Don't tell anyone..."

Kevin smiled softly and moved to sit on the edge of the bed. He wrapped his arms around Double D and held him tight.
"I won't."
Almost a minute passed before either boy dared to move. The raven's hands hesitantly returned the comforting embrace.
"Thank you Pumpkin."
"You're welcome Eddward."
A few more moments passed before Kevin gently pushed Double D onto his back.
"Try to get some more rest. I'll wake you up for lunch in a few hours."
He stood up to leave but was pulled back down.
"Take a nap with me Pumpkin. You look tired."
Double D moved over and pulled him into the bed.

"E-eddward!"
"Stay still."
Double D pulled off the green sweater and threw it across the room. He slowly began to unbutton the white long-sleeved shirt.
"Wh-what are you doing?!"
"There's a stain on your sweater. I told you I don't like dirty clothes in my bed."
He pulled the shirt off of the freckled shoulders.
"T-this isn't necessary! I-I'll sleep i-in the g-guest room!"
"Don't worry Pumpkin, I'll let you keep your pants on as a 'thank you' for taking care of me."
Double D held the shirtless boy against his chest and chuckled at the sight of his red face.
"E-eddward!"
"Shh."
****************************************

Kevin's breathing eventually slowed as he drifted off into sleep. Double D stared down at the boy resting peacefully in his arms. Just looking at his face helped to dull the pain of the migraine. He brushed the red bangs out of his face and smiled as he ran his fingers over a rosy cheek. He covered the pale forehead in a series of soft kisses.

"I love you, Pumpkin."