Chapter 12: Goodbye

Kevin glanced at the boy hungrily eating next to him.
"I've never seen him eat so much before."
"I can feel you judging me Loser."
"U-uh I wasn't!"
Double D shoveled the last of his food into his mouth before speaking again.
"I don't believe I thanked you for breakfast this morning."
"Y-you're welcome Eddward."
Blue eyes glued themselves to the fork that was slowly dragging across an empty plate.
"I can't remember when I last ate... I guess I went gone a little overboard this time." He whispered to himself.

"Why did you do that Eddward? There's no telling what could've happened if I hadn't come..."

Double D's eyes shifted to meet Kevin's.
"Would you believe me if I told you that I just wanted to have a little fun?"
"No. You're not one to miss school for 'fun.'"
He smirked and got up to remove the plates.
"Well, that's my story and I'm sticking to it."
Kevin fell silent as he watched Double D clean the mess he had made in the kitchen.
"Was it because of me?"
The swimmer paused for just a moment before returning to his cleaning. He picked up the books that Kevin had brought over the day before and placed them on the kitchen table.
"Start."
The ginger sighed as he opened one of the books and began to call out the questions.
**************************************

"I guess I'll see you on Monday, Eddward."
"I suppose you will."
Kevin looked up at the tall boy standing in the doorway. He could tell Double D's mood had changed ever so slightly throughout the day. The soft smile from that morning had been replaced by the familiar frown he had grown so used to seeing. Sky blue eyes had become icy and pierced his soul with their stare.
"Eddward?"
"What?"

Double D was suddenly surrounded by the warmth of Kevin's hug.
"It'll be okay."
He hesitated before returning the embrace.  He wanted so badly to beg the boy in his arms to stay but knew that he couldn't.  He breathed in his scent as he held him tight.

He found himself caressing a freckled cheek before tilting Kevin's pale chin up. He felt his restraint drift away as he looked into emerald green eyes. Before he could stop himself, he enveloped the small lips with his kiss. A muffled gasp gave him access to the mouth he had been yearning to taste again. He pulled the boy closer as their tongues brushed against each other. He battled for dominance before completely taking over and exploring the ginger's mouth. His senses went wild as he felt a soft moan escape Kevin's lips.
"Control yourself, Eddward"
He quickly regained his composure and loosened his hold on the boy before breaking the kiss.
"E-e-edd-"
"I told you I wouldn't be so civil next time."

A satisfied smile touched Double D's lips as he watched the stuttering boy gasp for air. He ran a finger along Kevin's cheek.
"A-a-ah!"
He held up a reddish-blonde eyelash.
"Eyelash."
He felt the ginger clutch his shirt in an attempt to steady himself. The touch set his body on fire.
"You shouldn't do that, Pumpkin. I might lose control again."
He bent over and placed a quick kiss on the shaking lips.
"Wh-wh-wh-"
"What's wrong Pumpkin? Cat got your tongue?"
"I-I-I-I-"
"Hm?"
He slowly slid his hand down the green sweater and into the pocket of the khaki pants.
"A-A-A-AH"
"Shh. Stay still."
Double D's hands grasped Kevin's keys just before the boy's entire weight fell into him.
"Heh, I figured that's all it would take."

He slipped the keys into his pocket before hoisting the shaking boy onto his back and carrying him across the street. He fished the keys out his pocket and opened the door to Kevin's home. Any semblance of a smile disappeared from his face as he looked around the room. Boxes full of the family's belongings littered the carpeted floor. Double D placed him on the one uncovered couch that remained in the room.
"Goodbye Pumpkin."

He bent over and placed a final kiss on the red face before leaving the house.
****************************************

"Good luck Eddward! I apologize for not being able to make it tonight."

Double D took off into the water at full speed. The sound of the hollow cheers rang in his ears as he raced to the end of the pool. He hit the wall and looked around for the familiar red hat.
"He really is leaving..."
**************************************
Kevin noticed a dark figure walking towards the cul-de-sac. Though the face was covered by the dark shadow casted by a hood, he knew exactly who it was.

He racked his brain for something to say though he knew it would only be answered by a grunt. Everything he had said to Double D that week had been answered in that manner. The swimmer had done his best to avoid contact with him since the kiss they shared that weekend. Any form of communication was abruptly ended by silence or a guttural grunt.

"What is there to say? 'Sorry I'm moving halfway across the country? Maybe we'll pass each other on the street one day?' Even if we attended the same college, I'm sure he wouldn't even acknowledge my existence."

He carried a small box to the moving truck parked at the corner of the street. He nervously looked up at the boy on the sidewalk. He froze when he realized that instead of turning the corner to go home, Double D was walking straight towards him. The boots crunched the snow on the pavement as he moved ever closer to the ginger.

Kevin tried to move his lips  as Double D stepped onto the sidewalk with him. The winter wind blew the hood back as the raven continued passed him.
"Eddward..."

The sharp wind cut across Double D's face as he continued into the night.