Chapter 20: Fun at the Fair

Kevin slowly trudged through the snow. He sighed as he made his way to the cul-de-sac.
"Why the long face Pumpkin?"
"Ah!"
He jumped at the sound of Double D's voice.
"You should pay more attention to your surroundings Loser. I've been following you for the last five minutes."
"I... I just zoned out I guess."
Double D slung his arm around Kevin's shoulders as they continued their walk.
"Hey."
"Yes?"
"I don't like this side of you." Light blue eyes shot a stern look at the defeated ginger. "You'll be sleeping in the snow tonight if you keep this up."
Kevin sighed and walked past the swimmer.
"You always make things difficult don't you, Pumpkin?"

Double D grabbed his hand and pulled him across the street. He could sense the questioning look that the green eyes were giving him. A slight smile touched his lips as he dragged the boy towards their new destination.
******************************************

"Hey. I need to borrow your bike."
"Tch. I ain't seen you in months and now all of a sudden you pop up out of the blue lookin' to use my chopper? Whatcha got planned and how much trouble are ya gettin' into?"
A man in his late forties was perched behind the counter of an old shop. A cigarette hung loosely between his yellow teeth. Kevin tried to take in as few breaths as possible as the man blew out puffs of smoke. He looked up at the frowning swimmer. He knew nothing about the shop nor the man Double D was talking to.
"Nothing planned. I'm just looking to get out of the city for a while."
The man eyed Kevin for a few moments.
"With yer buddy here? Looks like I can trust 'em. It don't seem like you've rubbed off on him yet so I guess I'll let ya use it this one time."
"Heh, am I really that awful? You act like I get in trouble often. Besides..."
A cocky smile slowly spread across his face.
"What makes you think I haven't rubbed off on him?"
Kevin felt a hot blush burn his cheeks. The man didn't seem to pay him any more mind. The jingle of keys could be heard as he fished them out of his pocket.
"You two look like ya'd get along like fire an' ice."
He turned to Kevin and began chuckling.
"Don't let that little devil corrupt ya now."
He threw the keys onto the counter along with a packet of cigarettes.

Double D picked up the keys but left the cigarettes in their spot.
"Go on and take 'em. I ain't chargin' ya today."
He smirked and tossed them back to the man.
"I quit a while back."
Both set of eyes stared at Double D in shock.
"Oh? An' what made ya do that?"
"Dunno. Just felt like stopping."
He grabbed Kevin by the wrist and turned to walk out of the store.
"I'll bring your bike back later tonight."
With that, they exited the store and disappeared around the corner.

They approached a glistening motorcycle leaning against the back of the building. Double D grabbed the helmet hanging on the handlebars and handed it to Kevin. He pulled a pair of goggles out of the saddlebag and put them on.
"Um... Eddward?"
"Yeah."
Double D placed Kevin's hat into the bag and helped him fasten the helmet onto his head.
"When did you stop smoking?"
"The day you asked me to. Come here."
He sat on the motorcycle and beckoned the ginger to sit behind him.
"Huh?"
"I believe you said something to the effect of 'Smoking isn't healthy for you, Eddward.'"
He started the engine and began driving down the street.
"I... I didn't know that you would actually stop because of me..."
Kevin wrapped his arms around Double D's waist and buried his face in his back. A smile formed on the raven's lips as the ginger's warm body pressed into him.
"Well, maybe you're the one who's been rubbing off on me."
*****************************************

The engine died down as Double D let down the kickstand. Kevin finally unglued his face from the swimmer's back. He felt his heart quicken from excitement as he looked around at their surroundings.
"The Winter Fair?"
"You don't like it? I can find somewhere else we can go."
"No, it's not that. I just...never expected you to be the fair-going type."
Double D chuckled as they walked towards the entrance.
"I told you that there are a lot of things you wouldn't expect from me, Pumpkin."
He approached the window and slid some money onto the counter.
"Let's go."
******************************************