Chapter 23: Answers

"...goodnight Eddward. I'll see you in the morning."
The call ended before Double D could respond.
"I wonder what that was all about?"
He closed his eyes and got as comfortable as he could get in the small bed. The beeping of the heart monitor quickened ever so slightly as a final thought entered his mind.
"He loves me..."
A soft smile spread across his face as he drifted off into a peaceful sleep.

******************************************

Kevin glanced over at the boy sitting on the other side of the car. He fought back tears as he studied him.
"Eddward..."
Double D's black eye shined from the medicine that the nurse had rubbed on it before he was discharged. His scratched cheeks were light pink and his entire body was littered with bandages. He shifted a little and leaned his head against the car window. His eyes absently watched the scenery outside as a heavy sigh escaped from the ever present frown.

It took everything in Kevin's power not to break down in tears as he watched the silent boy. He finally understood why that frown existed. Why his lips rarely revealed the perfect smile that showed off his imperfect teeth. Why his gaze always seemed so hard and cold. Why he was so distant towards nearly everyone that crossed paths with him. Why he always seemed so angry. Why he wanted so desperately not to be left alone...

Double D sensed the emerald eyes staring into his soul. He sat up straight and looked at the boy sitting across from him.
"What have I told you about staring?"
Kevin watched as Double D's eyes softened.
The corners of his lips subtly rose as the frown turned into the tiniest hint of a smile.
"Ugh, are you gonna cry again?"
"Eddward..."
The ginger's soft voice cracked as he tried to speak.

The swimmer rolled his eyes and reached over to grab the freckled hand across from him.
"How many times do I have to tell you that it wasn't your fault?"
Kevin sniffed as a single tear rolled down his cheek.
"I know..."
"Then quit all of the crying before I give you something to cry about."
The ginger smiled softly and squeezed his boyfriend's hand.
"You think I'm joking? I'm serious, Loser!"
The smile grew as he scooted closer and leaned on Double D's shoulder. He knew who was really hiding underneath the hard exterior.
"Do whatever makes you feel better, Eddward."
"Tch. Whatever."

They sat in complete silence for the rest of the ride home; Double D stared blankly through the window as Kevin happily leaned on his shoulder.
*******************************************

Kevin glanced up from his seat at the table and watched the boy that was foraging through the refrigerator.
"You want something?"
"U-uh! No, I'm fine Eddward."
Double D stood up straight and stared at the red headed boy. He kicked the door closed and slowly walked past the table with a handful of fruit in his arms.
"Come."

They sat in silence in the living room while Double D inhaled his food. He stopped mid-bite when he noticed the guilty look that Kevin kept casting towards the drawer.
"Kevin."
"H-huh?"
The sound of his name scared him more than anything else in the world. He began shaking as the intimidatingly cold eyes pierced his soul.
"What do you want to know?"
"Wh-what?"
The signature frown appeared as the raven haired boy's features took on a dark look.
"I'm not an idiot. I know what you did."
"I-I-I'm sorry E-eddward!"
Tears began to fall down freckled cheeks as Kevin's body shook even harder. Though he knew Double D would never seriously harm him, he truly feared for his life in that moment.
"What have I told you crying?"
"I-I-I-"
Double D reached over and held Kevin to his chest. He sighed deeply as he thought about the words that were spoken the night before.
"I just wanted to tell you that I love you..."
"This is your only chance. I know you have questions, so ask them while I'm feeling nice."
"E-eddward..."