Chapter 25: Fire

"I'm here ma fraise..."

Kevin watched black hair swing back and forth as Ed ran ahead of them. He was so focused on his boyfriend's state that he didn't notice the fallen branch that lay half hidden in the snow. He fell to the ground but was back up and running not even a second later.

Double D's head rolled from side to side as Ed's running jostled him around. He held the swimmer close and pushed himself to run even faster. Double D's house was the closest. He dashed to the door and anxiously turned around to find the two shorter boys.

Eddy grabbed Kevin's hand and pulled him ahead. They wordlessly charged forward praying that they could move their legs faster.

After what felt like hours, they stomped onto the doorstep. Kevin quickly fished out his key and pushed the door open. Ed dashed in and placed Double D on the couch. He draped his heavy jacket over him before running to find blankets. Eddy followed behind him while Kevin ran to Double D's side.
"Eddward? Please be okay..."
He stripped his jacket and wrapped it around his frozen legs. His hand hesitated before reluctantly feeling for his pulse. He held his breath and prayed that he would feel the soft thud that would let him know that his boyfriend was alright.

Ed raced down the steps with an armful of blankets. Eddy charged in from out of the laundry room holding thick towels and a bucket. They both stopped mid-stride and looked at the sobbing boy holding their best friend.
"Eddward... Eddward please wake up!"

Eddy was the first to snap out of his trance. He ran to Kevin's side and pulled off the two jackets.
"Eddy..."
"Shut up and help me get his clothes off!"
The ginger grabbed the soaked shirt and threw it across the room while Eddy pulled off his shorts and boxers. Ed appeared at the foot of the couch and made quick work of removing the socks and running shoes on the swimmer's feet.

Eddy took a towel and pat his body dry.
"Ed, bring me the blankets, stick some of these in the dryer, and go light the fireplace!"
"Aye, aye Eddy!"
Eddy shook Kevin out of his stupor and locked eyes with him.
"Pull yourself together. He's still breathing but he won't be for long if you don't snap out of it."
Kevin looked down at the pale boy in front of him. He was sure he hadn't felt a pulse but, just as Eddy had said, he was taking in soft, shallow breaths. His bare chest rose and fell in a weak rhythm.

Eddy shook him again and shoved a towel in his arms.
"Come on. We've gotta get him warm up before we can wrap him!"
"E-Eddy... Shouldn't we call an ambulance?"
"You saw how it was out there. And it's only supposed to get worse. There's no way they can get someone out here."
Eddy didn't look up from what he was doing. His hands gently massaged the cold skin with the towel.
"Fuck Sockhead, what were you thinking?"

Kevin began to massage Double D's chest. A large bruise from the fight caught his attention.
"Eddy, we have to pay special attention to his wounds. They're more susceptible to frostbite."
He heard a weak gasp as his hands pressed into the bruise. He paused and looked up at Double D's face. The blush that was spread across his cheeks had long since disappeared. The long, black tresses of hair made his pale skin seem completely devoid of color. The jagged scar stood out in stark contrast to the white skin around it.

Kevin ignored the tears filling his eyes and moved to warm the face he had fallen in love with.
"It's okay Eddward. You're gonna be alright."
He knew his words were meant to comfort himself more than for comforting the unconscious boy.

Eddy grabbed a blanket and began wrapping it around Double D's legs. He noticed the swimmer's toes curl then relax. A relieved grin spread across his face.
"Come on. Come back to us Double D."
He reached for another blanket and encased his waist and torso in the soft fabric.

Ed ran into the room equipped with a match and lighter fluid. He lit the old wood in the fireplace and quickly moved to be by his friend's side.
"Okay Ed, we've gotta move him in front of the fire."
Kevin quickly covered the remaining exposed skin in another blanket before Ed lifted him up. Double D's head dangled lifelessly over his arm. He stared down at his friend as he carried him towards the fire. The pale boy didn't move an inch as he was placed in front of the growing flames.

"Kevin, watch over him while I get the towels."
Eddy disappeared out of the room. Ed took his place next to Kevin as the ginger gently picked up and cradled his boyfriend.
"Kevin?"
".....yes Ed?"
"Double D will be okay."
Kevin sniffed and held the limp boy closer.
"But...he's still so cold...and..."
Ed placed a burly hand on Kevin's shoulder and squeezed it gently. A soft groan escaped Double D's throat as he stirred ever so slightly.
"Ngh....vin...."
Ed's lips curved into a pleased smile.
"See, he won't leave us. Do you want to know why?"
Kevin looked up at him with tearful, curious eyes.
"He really cares about you and he'll fight to keep you from getting hurt. He told me so a while ago."

"A while ago? You mean since the party?"
"Nuh-uh. Before then."
"Before? But...he hated my guts up until recently..."
Kevin thought about the time they had spent together in the past. They were never close, but they had been friends for a few years before Double D withdrew from everyone that wasn't an Ed. He remembered the day the bullying began. It was the same day he had found the crying boy sitting alone on an abandoned swing...

Eddy's sudden appearance brought him back to reality.
"Here, let's get  some of these around him."
He pulled one of the blankets away and placed a warm towel on his chest. The cold boy didn't stir as they meticulously placed the towels over his body. They replaced the blankets and perched around him while they waited for him to come to.

Minutes that felt like hours slowly ticked by before the blankets shifted slightly. A soft moan broke the tense silence in the room.
"Eddward?"
"Hey... Sockhead. Can you hear us?"
Another groan sounded from within the bundle of sheets. Kevin scooted forward and picked him up and held him tightly in his arms.
"It's okay, Eddward."
".....mm.....kin"
"Shh shh shh. Don't try to talk."
The swimmer's limbs groggily moved under the blankets before falling still again. A few moments passed before his chest began to quickly jerk.

Ed shoved the bucket towards Kevin just in time for him to position Double D's head over it. Eddy's face twisted in disgust as the swimmer heaved up the alcohol he had drank.
"Ugh, yuck! You can handle that Four-eyes. Shout if you need us."
The short boy hopped to his feet and tugged his lumbering friend along.
"Come on Lumpy. Let's go find some grub."
"But grubs are for birds Eddy."
"Shaddup Ed."

Double D groaned and fell back against Kevin's chest.
"Feel better?"
Half-lidded, ice blue eyes glared up at him. Kevin chuckled in relief. Though he was still ice -cold, he was alive and, for the most part, well.
"Is that a yes?"
The swimmer gave an annoyed grunt and buried his face into the warmth of his boyfriend's chest before his mind faded back into darkness.
********************************************

Double D slowly tried to clear the fog from his head. He looked over at the clock next to him.
11:57
"Pummkin...."
Kevin had been dozing off in a chair but the sound of Double D's voice made him instantly jolt awake.
"You're awake! How do you feel?"
The raven ignored the question and simply motioned towards the bottom shelf of his nightstand.

Kevin gave a confused look but opened it anyway. He was greeted with a chain similar to Double D's. He carefully examined the medallion hanging at the end. A large ornate "E" was carved into it. He looked back at his boyfriend. The tall boy gave a weak smile before closing his eyes. 
"Joyeux Nöel, Kèvin....."

A/N: I finished and edited this with (literally) one eye closed. I'm so tired ㅠ.ㅠ forgive the mistakes and anything off in the last portion of this. I finished writing this in a half sleep stupor. I'll come back and fix it...Once I awake from my 3 day slumber.