28. Common Enemy

(Another media picture of James)

Original Published Date: 07 February 2016

James

I smiled, smiling satisfyingly to myself. That guy got exactly what he deserved, no doubt about it.

I was kicking rocks as we walked, I just couldn't get rid of this vengeance smile that crept onto my face. But that soon fainted at a irritating voice. "Dude, should we have done that?" Victor asks.

"Does your arm still hurt?" I ask him.

"Yeah, bu-"

"Then there's your answer." I tell him.

"Think about it, James-"

"Think about this, Victor. I promised myself. I won't leave the house until Estelle was woke and healthy. But you convinced me to leave, and we ended getting a lead on Jake, plus a bonus by turning a hunter." I smile even wider. It's the first time I smiled since that voice in my head told me I lost my mate.

"But James, he's a rogue, a new werewolf. His odds of surviving is slimmer than a toothpick, and the chances of him exposing our kid is bigger than the Giant Sequoia."

"That's what happens when the Hunter becomes Hunted."

"Jam-"

"Shut up, Vic, you're killing my vibe." I growled at him.

"No, the kitchen light is on." He points out.

"It's probably my dad." I only shrugg my shoulders.

"I thought Tom and Chelsy went on a date." Victor says.

Realization washes over me swift and quick. "You don't think."

"No not yet." I tell him.

"But it's possible." Victor says.

"The one time I leave?"

"Eh, what if it's-"

"It's not."

"We have to make sure."

"Fine."

We walk to side by side of the house. We stay under the window sure not to be seen. Victor, though always trying to play hero decides to enter first, although opening the door sofly wasn't hard considering that the hunter cut the lock out.

Victor peared around the corner that lead to the kitchen. He jumped out like a third grader trying to scare a five year old, but then he eased up and I followed him into the kitchen. There she stood, Estelle. The one day I decide to leave is the one day she wakes up.

She was holding a nice sized balogna sandwhich in her hand, she also had her hair in one of those messy buns. The quietness was slowing eating at me, either of us not knowing what to say, it was painful. Then I already knew Victor was about to say something when I saw him scratch behind his ear.

"Hey." I should've known he'd say something at stupid and pathetic as 'hey' but I don't blame him. Like, what was he supposed to say, 'hey I heard you James aren't mated anymore and you were marked by his brother', if he was to say that, he'd never speak another word in his life.

"Hi." Her voice was soft, kind of scratchy as if she was talking with a cold. "How long was I knocked out?" She asked, not looking at either of us.

"A couple weeks, maybe. You and your friend." Victor smiled, and I gave her one too. But of course she didnt notice. "Did you know James stayed here night and day, hopping you'd wake up and he'll be the first person you've seen." It was that moment I wanted to punch his skull in. But I didn't.