Lost

I looked around trying to find any sign of civilization. Nothing. Not even a tree in sight. I gasped, the trees were here just a minute ag- I hugged myself and attempted to calm my chattering teeth.

Then I spun facing the opposite direction in search of the trees that had just been there a minute ago. Or was it an hour? I pondered, hugged myself tighter, and faced my previous direction.

"Maybe I should take a nap. I've been walking for hours and I'm so exhausted," I said to noone in particular after releasing a yawn.

Nap. Nap. Nap. Was the only word in my head as I bent down and pushed aside a mound of snow. Blue.

"Oh my god! No." I gasped and moved my cold delicate fingers towards my feet. They're blue! What how? I covered my mouth with my hands and choked back a sob.

I can't do this! I collapsed on the ground in a heap of tears and sobbed as much as my heart desired. My chest heaved up and down heavily with each sob that came from my mouth.

"This can't be happening to me, I'm too young to die! Too young to lose my legs.."

To avoid freezing to death I kept walking. Wildly rubbing my arms over and over attempting to warm myself up, I walked faster ignoring the sharp pains in my toes.

"Think about the beach, think about the beach," I repeatedly mumbled to myself.

An hour, or was it two, later a three story red brick house came into sight. It was huge from where I was standing. Maybe they can help me! I picked up the pace only to fall flat on my stomach.

"Fuck!", I muttered under my breath. Pushing my arms up under me to get up off the ground, I tried to steady myself so I could continue my seemingly long journey to the house ahead of me.

It took about 10 minutes to stumble all the way there but I made it to the door. The moment my feet hit the brick steps, I fell flat on my butt. Ugh. I flung my arms helplessly to my sides and scrambled to get back up. 

I dusted my ragged sweater off and clutched my body with my left hand. Before I could even reach my arm up to knock on the door, it swung open.