Chapter Thirteen-Truth behind the Dark.

I got up from the armchair.
It has been quite long since I've been lying lazily here.
I ate puff pastries that Natasha's mom had brought.
I grabbed a bite to silence my hunger.

As I was doing the dishes,  There was a tap on the door. I went to look at the clock it was 6:00.
'Who might be at this time?'. I thought.

I opened the door and there she was.
I couldn't believe on my eyes. Jane on my doorsteps but she looked weird.
Her hair were dishevelled and her eyes had dark circles beneath them.
She looked pale and pathetic.
Her clothes were dirty and torn. As she was about to collapse, I caught her and took her inside.

"Jane, what's wrong with you?". I asked her.

"Chris, finally I found you". She gained consciousness.

"Wait have some water". I handed her the glass.

"Chris, I was scared to death. It's none other than Henry. He is not what he seemed to be.
I ran away, He is chasing me Chris. He can come here any moment". She sobbed.
Her tears didn't stop.

"What are you saying Jane?
you loved him, don't you? and he loved you, right?". I interrupted her as I was totally appalled by now.

"Yeah even I felt the same, Chris but soon I started feeling strange about him. He purposely left the town. He distanced himself from everyone. At nights, he used to scream his mom's name, Uncle Dominic's name and even yours". She continued.

"My name....but why?".I spoke in a confusing tone.

"He hated you Chris".She reasoned.

What???

"Why did he hate me?". I asked her and her eyes got lowered.

"Even I wanted to know, So I asked him at that time.
Hearing your name from me, he started hitting me and torturing at the same time".She said,  crying.

She wiped her face from the tissue I gave her. My jaws got clenched.

"Until one day when we went to visit Uncle Dominic. I overheard his confrontation with his father".

"He spoke his heart out to Uncle. He told him that he hated you, Chris because you took away his dad when he needed him the most".

"When his mother was taking her last breath, she wanted her husband with her son but Uncle chose to stay with you because at that time, you had fallen ill". She continued and I couldn't speak a word out.

"He hated you to the core of his heart. That day, he told uncle that marrying me was a part of revenge. Chris, That day I found out you were the one who loved me all along. Those surprises were planned by you not him". She spoke with teary eyes.

"Uncle Dominic cursed him when he heard from him about spoiling my life and yours too. He cursed himself too because he made you lose your love because of some stupid promise".

I closed my eyes for a brief moment of time.

"After what he had done, Uncle threatened him that he will tell me everything but before he could say anything else, Henry killed him. He killed him by chocking him to death. Others thought that he died due to illness but I knew it was his son who killed him".

"He warned me that if I open my mouth, he won't spare anyone including you".She said panting. I rubbed her arm.

"When I saw you,... that day at the funeral, I ran towards you but.... Henry's threats stopped me on my place... He forced me to leave with him the next day but I still wanted to talk to you so I wrote a note but couldn't complete it fearing Henry would find out and therefore, I hid it in one of your favorite book thinking that you would visit that library again". She added.

I heard her in distress. I felt shattered after hearing what all she had been through. She lived a miserable life with that nasty man.
If I had not fulfilled Sir's Promise, I'd had saved her life.
She came forward and hugged me.
We both were crying badly by now.
We stared in each other's eyes. I felt as if Jane was about to kiss me while I was still confused to whatever was happening.

At the very same moment, I heard the main door opening.
Tasha was the one who opened the door. She was holding Krishna in her arms but she froze... to look us in a compromising position from the way, it appeared.

Without saying a word she left. I wanted to go behind her but Jane was the one who needed me at that time.

But I can't lose her...

Please vote and comment.