A day in Chardonnay life

Uploaded on 01-02-2016

I stretched feeling my belly pull tight against me. Being nearly eight months pregnant is not as easy as other make out it to be.

I sat back down on the couch after making myself some pop noodles. I don't know how Tasha was able to carry twins. I'm struggling to walk with one baby inside me.

"Put the shopping down on the counter." My grandma told my little nephew Ricky. "And Mek sure yuh gallon go wash yuh han." She told him reverting to patois.

Ricky smiled at me. "Hi aunt Chardy." He took a step going to approach me when grandma came up behind him to clip him on the back of the head.

"Bwoy?" She cursed. "Didn't you listen to what me sey?"

"Ow..." He cocked his head to the side moving out of her reach. "I am going to wash my hands. Chill."

"Chill!" Grandma raised her voice.

Ricky looked frighten as he ran up the stairs. I knew from early on never to mess with granny.

She kissed her teeth coming to sit next to me. "Little Pickney dem nowadays have no respect."

I nodded taking a bite of my noodles. Grandma is set in her ways. She isn't never gonna change.

She lifted up my top rubbing oil on my stomach. Leaned back enjoying the massage.

"Have you heard back from your baby father?" Grandma gave me a steel look as she rubbed my belly. "Cause I don't have money to tek care of fi him business."

I let out a sigh sitting up dislodging her hand from my body. "I am not asking for your help. I got a well paid job, my own flat and I will be just fine."

She wiped her hand on her lap standing up to walk to the kitchen. "I am disappointed in you. I had such high hopes. You were the first one to go to university. Now look at you. Unmarried and pregnant by some..."

"Say it!" I shouted at her. "Say it! By some white man. You are a racist. And my baby is white. What will you do. Treat her differently."

She whirled on my her eyes flaming. "I been around longer than you. I seen what they can do."

"That is in the past. We live in a different society now. My child will not be brought around here since you are going to be ashamed of her roots. Her father is white. Get over it." I picked up my coat pulling it over my stomach.

"Walk out that door Chardonnay Williams. And you best make sure you don't come back." She told me.

My hand stilled on the door knob. Could I do this. Could I raise this baby by myself without the help of my family?

I heard footsteps on the stairs behind me.

"Don't go aunts Chardy." Ricky's little voice begged.

I felt a tear drop down my cheek. I turned to face him. I was there at the hospital when my sister gave birth to him.

He was my favourite out of all my nieces and nephews.

"Ricky..." I began before my throat closed on me.

"She is not going anywhere." Grandma stated. "She can't do it without me."

I looked at the smug look on her face then made up my mind. I was leaving. I opened the door leaving my grandma house and her bigotry.

I hailed a cab to the Sinclair apartments where I was still living. I got out on the curb rubbing my stomach. I can do this. No one should make her feel ashamed regardless of her colour.

"Chardonnay?"

I looked to the side to see who was calling me. I made out a skinny blonde woman approaching me with a tall slim nerdy looking man beside her.

"Do I know you?" I asked her as she came closer to me. I recognise her from somewhere but just can't place her.

"I'm Chelsea. You came to the reunion with Natasha and Cole...." His name drifted off her lips as she stared at my bump. She pointed at it. "Cole didn't tell me he were to become a dad. I just saw him last week."

My brown eyes were round with fear. "Don't tell Cole!" I told her. I didn't wait for her response but ran into building pressing the lift to take me to my floor.

Cole can never find out about our daughter. I will not be the one to trap him into a relationship. I will not be the one to ruin him. Especially with a messed up family like mine.

Xxxx kayla.

These are just one shots as people are still voting. A little teasers.

That is the end of her day. I wonder whose day will be next.