No Hope for the Hobbits (Prologue)(?)

"Did someone give Dess soda?"
"...how'd you know?"
"I found her in the library, holding up LotR and singing 'My Heart will go On"

***

"Guys, I'm leaving."

The voice of Dess startles everyone in the room. Hermione raises her head, looking at her. "Leaving? Why?"

Dess sighs. "Come on, isn't it obvious?"

Silence.

Dess sighs. "Think about it. I eat whenever I can, I love gardening, I walk around with no shoes whenever I get the chance..."

"You're...going to the asylum?" Arwen guesses.

"And I'm shorter than practically everyone!" Dess says while glaring at Sam Winchester, who shrugs.

"Oh, so THAT'S why you went to Erebor! You wanted to be tall!" Arwen smiles.

"You're one to talk, Miss 'I'm almost as tall as Castiel and I'm five inches taller than both my sisters'." Dess shifts her glare over to her oldest sister.

"So...am I coming with you?" Hermione asks.

Dess shakes her head. "No, you wear shoes and stuff."

Sam stands up, making Dess look reeeaaaallly tiny. "So where exactly are you going?"

Dess looks up at the giant moose, and then looks off into the distance. "I'm going to embrace my roots...I'm going...TO THE SHIRE!"

Arwen rolls her eyes and keeps reading.