Of Band, Legolas, and Dess Being a Horrible Person

I sit in a dark pit, watching the world fall around me. The band. The entire marching band is in the pit, and I am being forced to run drill after drill. I square my shoulders to the sidelines, only to see my literature teacher. She laughs as she hands me essays and projects. I cannot support the weight, and I fall, leaving the band to walk over me.

But she's not the only one. My drama, government, and math teachers all lie in wait, scattering papers across the field. The band members are falling, piling on top of me. I am screaming, but no one can hear me because I am a flute player and no one ever hears the flutes.

But what's this? Legolas is standing on the edge of the pit! I force my way out of the pile, climbing up the sides. I am tired, but I have to reach him. After what seems like an eternity, I am at the edge, staring up at his stunning blue eyes.

"Legolas!" I call, relieved. "Thank you so much for coming to help me! I've been in that pit for over two months, everything keeps piling up-"

But Legolas cuts me off. "Yesterday was Legolas day, Dess." He says, his voice cold. "And you didn't write anything about it."

"I'm so sorry, I had band night and didn't get home until 10:30, and I had homework and didn't get to sleep until after midnight-" I'm rambling, but I have to get out of this pit, and Legolas is my only hope.

"I don't want your excuses." He tells me. "I want to be honored in the closing ceremony that's two months late."

With that, he walks off, and I fall back into the pit. A few of my friends are in there now, screaming at me to write more of OSaS.

"I don't have time!" I cry out, watching the band circle me in perfect formation. "I don't have time!"

The band circle draws closer, closer, closer. I am being choked by the bibbers and jackets, stepped on by a hundred black shoes. I am suffocating, dying, the teachers and friends still giving their orders. Finally, I release my last breath, embracing the darkness.

The band plays on.