Chapter 8 - Conflicting Feelings

Narrator
*Flashbacks*
The stairs creaked softly under the weight of the little boy as he ascended them carefully. He was still in his pajamas. The rain drizzling outside in the dead of night slightly drown out the noises. As he approached the room, he could hear muffled voices on the other side of the door. He heard a woman screaming and whimpering while a man shouted fumingly. Then the sound of slaps, punches and beatings echoed down the empty hallway. The curious little boy saw a gap of light coming out from the room, so he tried to peek through them. Before he could, the door swung open to reveal his father, as he towered over his small frame. His father, with a scowl on his face, swiftly walked past the little boy while wiping his bloody knuckles with his handkerchief.

The little boy was still too young to understand anything. So he looked around the room to see the pitiful state his mother was in. She sat with her legs parallel to the ground and bent at the knees. Both her legs were on her right side as she leant her body weight on her hands down on the ground. The little boy ran towards her and she snarled at him to warn him not to come near. He cringed at the hostility of his own mother and began sobbing uncontrollably. He looked up to see his mother with a black eye, busted lips and a bloody nose. He frowned lightly, confused as to what happened.

"Mommy..." He said in between sniffles, with arms wide open. His mother merely glared at him and then she faced away, ignoring his pleads. She couldn't look at her son. He is, after all the living proof of her unhappy and unwilling marriage. Moreover he was his son. the man who beat her for the smallest of errors or whenever he felt like it. The man she called her husband. She swore to herself that she will one day leave this hellhole and when she does, she will never look back. Ever again.
*Flashbacks*

Victoria's POV
I woke up early this morning, and suddenly missed the warmth of the sun. However it was snowing today, so I chose not to go out to the balcony. I stretched my arms slowly and took note of the wounds on my back. They looked better now. Seems like the medicine from Karen worked pretty well.

I walked casually into the bathroom and filled the bathtub with warm to hot water. Then I brushed my teeth and rinsed my body once in the shower. After the bathtub was filled, I dipped in and let out a satisfied sigh. What could possibly feel better than a hot bath during winter? I whistled to random tunes that came on my mind and my body felt so relaxed in the water.

A good 10 minutes later, I came out and dried myself, then changed into a pair of dark denim jeans with a thin t-shirt. After which I ran into my room to put on a thick black sweat shirt and a plain beanie. I decided this outfit would be warm enough, so I scrolled down to the kitchen to make some breakfast. I noticed the clock, it was only 7am.

Since I was in a good mood, I would help Aunt Renee and the rest to make the pack's breakfast. I switched on the radio and 'Lego House by Ed Sheeran' was playing. I sang along while gathering the ingredients I needed to make waffles with mushroom sauce, bacons and sunny side up eggs.

I started mixing and beating the waffle batter until the perfect consistency and then I filled the waffle maker. While the waffles were cooking, I took out 2 skillets and began frying the bacon strips. I cut up the mushrooms and lightly sauté them with salt pepper and olive oil. Once all done, I started on my second and third batch until the food filled the breakfast tray completely. I finished up by frying the sunny side ups and setting them on the side.

Almost on a cue, the pack members started to crowd around the kitchen to help themselves to the servings. I smiled brightly at my accomplishments and took a well deserved plate for my own. Then I saw Megan and Heather and I waved them over

"Look who's being efficient early in the morning?" I asked them pointing to myself proudly.

"We're impressed, Victoria." Aunt Renee tapped my shoulders from behind and said. So we sat down to eat our breakfasts, laughing and chatting at the same time.