Chapter 14 - Fate is fickle-minded

Lewis's POV

I had just finished the conference with Alphas from our region. I sat through the conference beside the Alpha king as he addressed the others. I supposed he noticed I was distracted all while they spoke, therefore he summoned me to his office after lunch. It was currently just me and the Queen at the table. She dined like a perfect queen, sat like a perfect queen, talked like a perfect queen. Except one doesn't exist. At least not in my books. I chewed on my food, hoping to get through lunch as quietly as possible.

"Would the prince care for some more tea?" She asked. I moved my hateful gaze from my plate up to her and her plastered smile. Losing my appetite as I looked at her, my lips curled up to a scowl. I stood up instantly, causing the chair to dragged backwards loudly and the echo in the large dining room turned heads around. The queen looked like she was about to cry, while the rest of the serving staffs glared at me like I had done the rudest thing on earth. I don't give a fuck. They can pity her for all I care. I strode away and into the king's office. I opened the door and he was sitting behind his desk like how he normally does. He took some time before acknowledging me, and took out a brown package out of the drawer compartment. What are those? He emptied the package and out came a stack of photos, now littered on his desk.

"Victoria Dunham, Rising crescent pack.. only 19. Don't tell me she's your mate?" I stepped forward and examined the photos. All of them were of me and her. At the mini arcade truck, the carnivals, the sports tower and at the car garage. This son of a bitch. He followed us??

"She's not." I replied flatly. He pursed his lips into a thin line.

"Anyone you can have. And you involve yourself with her.." He laughed coldly. "I get it teenage hormones. Just lay with her and get over it. Why do you keep going back to her?" He thinks she's a whore for the sake of my pleasure!? I shook with anger.

"Don't say that of her...! She's more-"

"That girl is not even half a wolf. She's weak. She can't shift. She can't even fight a pup." He rumbled.

"I.." Victoria.. her smile, her bravery flashed through my mind.

"I want her." I spoke. The Alpha King raised his eyebrows in query. 

"I want to ask for her hand in marriage, your Grace." I asked a little louder this time. He looked at me as if I had gone mad.

"Stop being a joke Lewis. I raised you as my heir. You think I would let you destroy yourself over some girl like her? If you have given up on finding your mate, then all the better. I will officially appoint the Noble lady Bridgett as your chosen mate and you two-"

"I will marry no one else but her!" I roared. He was up in no time and delivered a punch to my stomach. I grunted out in pain.

"Listen boy. I will keep my promise in allowing you to find your mate until your 22nd. You. in turn, will listen to my bidding. Don't go near her again. Or Ms. Dunham will be on the receiving ends of your disobedience." His words etched on my mind as I thought it through. When he didn't got a response from me, he struck at the same place again.

"You hear me?" I shook my head, gradually finding it hard to breathe. He repeatedly hit me before Sawyer barged in. He eyed me worriedly and addressed the alpha king.

"Your Grace. Please allow me to escort him back." He bowed lowly. My "father" let me go roughly before re-adjusting his suit.

"You better deal with him Sawyer." He bowed again and I struggled to my feet with his help. After a torturous trip back to my room, he gave me some pain killers and I swallowed them whole. The bruises on my stomach slightly healed by now. I clutched my hands tightly and decided to go see Victoria first.