Chapter 29 - Stay with me

Lewis's POV
After she had fallen asleep, I left the room, subconsciously aware of her breathing. She was calm and relaxed, and that put me at ease. The lingering feeling of her, my mate, on my fingers like residual static. I smiled to myself, for that I've finally found her, and there's no one better than Victoria.

I came out of the house after checking the door was securely locked and the windows too. Without knowing what happened to Victoria, at the very least her current state could land her in trouble. Especially if the alpha king knows about her.... the very thought brought chills to my bones.

I changed and shifted into my wolf, then hung my pants in my mouth before dashing off.
"I want my mate Lewis!!" Roger snarled, trying to compel me in to go back to the house.
"I want her too, but there's something more important now." I growled back.

Running through the thick woods, it was dark and cold, the owls hoot loudly inside the forest. Finally, I saw the roadside and ran towards the scent I caught - Victoria's parents.

When I was close enough, I shifted back and put on my pants. The street lamps were dim, but they knew I was there nonetheless.
"Where is she?!" Victoria's father rushed forward, panting heavily from the injury before, though they were mostly healed by now. I crossed my arms and answered confidently, "In my house."

"If you so much as dare to..!!"
"Ralph! Stop it.." Victoria's mother came over to pull him away. His eyes were piercing red and he looked ready to tear me into pieces. "Please, let us see her." She pleaded, her eyes not allowing me to say no. I looked down to the ground, solemnly thinking if this was what it's like to have a mother caring for you.

"I'll drive." I said simply and got into the driver seat of their jeep. After much disagreement and whatnot, she finally convinced Victoria's dad to get into the car. Not without him staring down at my back throughout the whole trip.

Roger kept growling while I drove the vehicle. "That peasant! Tell him to challenging us before I tear him apart." He argued. He was growing impatient with him not being treated as the alpha. "Enough.. They're our mate's parents. That's all you have to know." He reluctantly backed off at my command.

I took the hidden path to avoid the uneven forest ground, and then parked the car at the back of my house. It was built in this secluded area to make it hard for people to look for me if they do. Sometimes I'll come down here for a few days to get away from the packhouse. It's considered my "treehouse".

The moment the door was unlocked, he rushed into the house shouting like a mad dog. "Victoria!! Where are you??" He darted to and fro, trying to sniff out her scent.

"She's upstairs, asleep. It'll be best to let her be for the time being." I threw a shirt over my head and poured myself a glass of water while I explained.
"You didn't do anything to her, did you?" He asked, narrowing his eyes suspiciously at me.
"Why would I? She's my mate." I emphasized and looked at them. "I would never hurt her."

"That wasn't what I heard a year ago." He said with a venomous tone. I recalled my memories and realised he was talking about what happened during my last birthday. So Victoria did tell them after all.

"I'm sorry for what I did, but what's done is done. And if I ever knew she was my mate..!"
"Save it! I don't care about your explanations now." He spat. Then both of them went upstairs to my room where Victoria was. I held the cup tightly in my hands. If I knew... I will never hurt her.

A few minutes later, they came back down again with darkened faces. I was suddenly afraid that the next thing they'll say is that they're taking her away.
"She's staying. There's no where safer than here, with me." I quickly voiced out before they could say anything.
"So you know then, of her condition." I nodded. "I'll protect her." He scoffed, doubting my words.

"Protect her? You know nothing about her."
"I.. can learn." I countered weakly. He laughed sarcastically. "What can you do for her?"

"I'll give my life for her." I raised my voice as I looked him in the eye. There's nothing I wouldn't do for my mate.

His resolve seems slightly shaken from that, but still rolled his eyes at me.
"You promise..? You'll take good care of her and never hurt her again?" Her mother asked sternly, and scrutinized me, trying to detect a trace of lies.

"Of course. I need her as much as she needs me. Surely you two are clear on that?" They both are mates, so they must be clear of how strongly I feel for her. The need to protect my mate overwrites everything in this world.

She sat her husband down and looked at me. "So what now?" I sat too and crossed my fingers together.
"Stay if you want to. You can take the empty room at this level."
"Fine, we'll stay." She agreed almost instantly.
"Lilly!!" He yelled. "We need all the help we can get!" She scolded back.

I chuckled a little at their bickering before remembering the questions I wanted to ask.
"What exactly happened? Why did she lose her scent before and now her hair and eyes are different?" Victoria's mom hesitated for a bit, but still decided to tell me everything.

She didn't left out any details to the whole ordeal they went through. Time to time, I frowned when she mentioned the witch and the spell. And how Victoria was injured in the mountains.

The room became quiet again after the story was finished.

I rubbed my temples slowly, feeling overwhelmed with this day. Of course all my thoughts revolves around a certain someone. Somehow seeing through me, Lilly expressed her gratitude and dragged her husband away.

My feet tapped lightly against the floorboard. I pushed the door softly, and she remained lying on the bed. Tracing her face gently, my heart began beating irregularly. Like ripples growing in still water. She feels too surreal to me, as though I might be dreaming this all up.

I laid beside her and pulled her onto my chest, holding onto her greedily. I brushed her hair away from her face and pecked on her forehead. Feeling a little comforted by her warmth, her smell, her breath, I closed my eyes. As long as she's really here, my heart has a place to belong.

A/N: Hey hope you guys like this chapter. As usual I apologize for the slow update..!