Chapter 21 - Tomorrow

Victoria's POV
"... What do you mean?" I asked Albus, confused as to why he was driving me away so quickly. I have only been with him for a month or so, and now he's telling me to leave?
"I meant exactly what I said." He calmly declared. "There's nothing more I can teach you. You'll be fine on your own. As long as nobody can smell you, you'll be safe from harm." He took out a bottle from a corner and placed it in front of me.

"This is the essence of nightshades. It can shield your scent temporary, and it only lasts for a day, until 12 midnight. Remember, you can only drink it twice." He warned, his lips a little white. "It's a very rare plant, so use it wisely, only when you need it most."

I lifted the small glass bottle containing the nightshades essence and held it in my palms. The mouth of the bottle was enclosed with a cork stopper.

Has he been saving this up just for me..?
That's why he would always disappear sometime during the afternoon and left me by my own. I used to hold petty grudges on him, thinking he was lazing somewhere and torturing me from afar. But in actual fact, he spent all that time looking for the nightshades plants..

I twirled it in my hands and looked back at him. It was no surprise his eyes was closed. Thinking back on the days with Albus, they were harsh and difficult when we first started. But it was all for my sake, to help me master my abilities as an elemental wolf. And for that, I don't know how to repay him.

"I've been craving some.. wine. Haven't had them for a long while." He looked at me and gave a weak smirk. I laughed lightly and took another good look at him, my teacher whom I'll be leaving soon. All alone in his cave. Little did I know my vision turned blur as I gazed upon him. "Then wait for me to come back. I'll bring you some good wine."

I walked into the light, shaded by the great tree outside the cave. The bottle in my hands, and the tears slowly dripped onto the wet ground. "I promise.."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Father said his farewell to the old wiseman and we packed all our stuff into the car. The door closes, and the mountains suddenly seemed so foreign.

Dad started driving, and my gaze fixated on top of the great tree. Although I couldn't see the cave from here, but I can already imagine it there, how can I forget. Their voices in the car was blocked out as the mountains faded out into plain sight.

"..going..? It's... not safe anywhere..."
"Lilly we.. London.. 4 hours..."

Day turned to night, and more vehicles flooded the road compared to the mountain area, where we're the only car on the road. In the bustling streets of London, streetlights and shophouses lined the sidewalks, and there were people. Lots of people.
"Are you sure this is ok Ralph? I'm not so sure 'bout this.." Mom said nervously, chewing on her lips. It wasn't just her, I was worried of the fact that there were so many people here in London, I'll be found out sooner or later. Even the city area near our old pack wasn't as busy as London..

"Yes. The most dangerous place would be the safest to hide. The people here are largely populated by humans, not werewolves. We'll find somewhere quiet to stay first." Dad replied, a deep crease on his forehead as he focused ahead, a solid plan in his head. It's true when I tried picking up any scent from outside, there were too many, too hard to focus on one particular scent. But so far I don't smell any werewolves. Even if there were, the scents are all mixed up. I guess with me in the crowd it'd be also difficult to smell.

After half an hour, the car turned into a corner of a narrow street, far from the busy city. It feels less hectic here. There were dogs barking somewhere within the neighbor. We opened the car door and was faced with a high rising apartment building. It was really clean and modest from the outlook alone.

Dad opened the front door and the bell rang a crispy sound, and the security at the front desk greeted us. "Evening mdm. What can I do for you?" He was a stout man with a big belly, but friendly enough. "My name is Ralph Dunham and I found this place through an online listing. I'd like a rent a flat." The security requested for identifications and important documents for confirmation. The electronic paperwork was settled quickly and dad paid for the fees.
"Have a good day sir." He smiled gruffly and tipped his hat for good measure. We thanked him and brought our backpacks up to the ninth floor. The apartment actually looked very modern and classic. At least it isn't rundown and slimy, and creepy.

When we arrived at the door with 902 written on it, there were clicking sounds coming from it. Then I realized they used digital door locks and my dad was keying in the password to unlock the door. A beep came off and we were allowed entrance. Once inside, dad told us the combination was '302847'.

I dropped my bag near the sofa and looked around this small furnished apartment, the basics, kitchen, bathroom and one bedroom. It was mainly white, simplistic and has this brightness to it. I wasn't asking for much, and this place would be very comfy for the three of us.

"We'll stay here for now. Victoria, go freshen up and go to bed early for tonight, alright dear?" My dad gave me a kiss on my forehead and I went to bathe first. Soaking in the small bathtub, I was thankful for hot water. All my fatigue and weariness wore off from that one shower, and I left the bathroom after drying my hair.

"I'll go look for a job tomorrow. We can't spend all our savings like this.." I overheard them talking softly on the sofa. Dad worked as a book publisher previously. Mom volunteered to work as well to lighten his burden but was turned away. "Lilly you take care of her. There's no knowing if anything shall happen here in London. We should always be ready." He held her hands and kissed her lips softly.

"I wish I can help, Ralph.." Dad smiled, "You are.."

I stood out of view with my towels on my head and sighed. There's nothing I can do too, isn't it? I'll be stuck within this four walls for god knows how long.. But I'll make it, for them. For Megan and Heather. I only pray the day I see them again wouldn't be too far away.

A/N: A big thank you to all you amazing folks still out there, reading this damn story. It's getting harder to update this story I'll be honest so do bear with me!! I hope to update again tomorrow and perhaps hasten up the speed a little but good news! You'll probably meet a new character very soon. 3 actually. So please give me some more love and patience. Hehe love you guys!
Oh p.s. do check out my Harry Potter fanfic if you're interested. Though it's relatively new :X
TY again!