Chapter 17 - Reborn

Victoria's POV

Sunlight kissed the woodlands like they were old lovers.

It was a new day. The road was rocky at first as we close in to the mountains northeast of the Rising crescent pack. A tedious drive, took about 2 hours or so to be able to see the high mountains. A breathtaking scenery with clusters of canopy amongst the peaks and behind them, the sky gradually lights up. Driving deeper into the mountain, the paths split into many uneven rough terrains.

"Are you sure we're not lost." Lethargic, I leaned the side of my head on the window as I hugged my arms to get as comfortable as I can. Although it was nearly impossible, being a bumpy ride and all.

"Patience Victoria..." My dad said, his tone as restless as mine. The car slowed to a stop and we stepped out of the Jeep. The both of them looked around us, trying to pick up the scent in the air, as if on guard. The grass beneath crisps as I wandered curiously, but all there was were smoky mists surrounding tall pine trees around us. The mists made it hard to see beyond the crowded greenery. What are we doing here anyway?

"It seems rather safe here. At least I don't smell any wolfs." My mother commented.

"This mountain territory has been abandoned for some time now. Nobody comes here anymore." His words were justified by the silence in the woods, only occasional sounds of birds flying overhead and chirping of insects. I took in the stillness and a lung full of fresh morning air. It felt so transcending, almost therapeutic.

"We have to look for Old Albus. He must be here somewhere." My dad said. I looked at him. "Who??"

"He's a wiseman who resides in these mountains. He's something like a hermit. A werewolf like us of course. Your grandfather used to know him before he isolated himself from his wolf pack."

"Your grandfather once mentioned him to be familiar with elemental wolfs. But finding him is another thing entirely. He doesn't like intruders. But we need him to help you, Victoria." I sighed, suddenly feeling exhausted with the trouble we have to go through..

"Could he be in one of the caves here?" My mother suggested. "Yes very likely. We should start looking quickly. Her spell won't last long." Dad said. I picked my nails nervously. I don't know if I'm ready to face myself. Or what I'm going to become.

"Stand back." The sound of bones breaking and reforming echoed in the forest, and my dad stood before us, as his wolf. Copper coloured with patches of grey, with that unmistakable cerulean blue eyes. Now that I know he has beta blood, he seemed larger than I've noticed before. Mom shifted after him, turning into a solid beige fur, grey eyed wolf, slimmer than my father's wolf. The two wolfs brushed against each other affectionately.

My dad's big wolf head nudged me and lowered himself beside me and barked. Getting his signal, I climbed onto his back and clung onto the fur on his neck for better stability. The two wolfs then sprinted off at a steady pace and explored the nearby mountains and caves, on the lookout for the wiseman. I felt secure and safe on my father's back, like always when he "piggyback" me from when I was a child. I can't wait to be able to run alongside my family and pack as a wolf.

With that, we came across several caves, but still no signs of the wiseman.

The sun was at it's highest when both wolfs came panting towards a clear lake to quench their thirst. I too came down and used my hands to collect the fresh water and hurriedly drank from it. Cooling my face with the water, I turned to find them distracted, looking at each other. Probably mindlinking.

When they're ready again, I got onto my dad's back and they ran back towards our car. We reached, and I got off while they shifted back behind some trees and then put their clothes on.