Chapter 23 - The strange wolf

Victoria's POV
Stay in the house, I was told. So I did. I sat outside on the balcony, as tiny as it was cosy, and overlooked the neighborhood. Trees were barren, leaves were scattering in the November wind. The temperature was gradually declining, signifying the arrival of winter.

I closed the door to keep the wind out, and sat down on the couch. It has been like this, day and night, night and day. The only thing I was trusted to do was to hide myself in this apartment.. I've tried on countless occasions to convince my parents that there weren't werewolves lurking in London. But they didn't listened.

I rubbed my temples, bored of doing nothing at all. Casually, I conjured a ball of fire in my hands and rotated it around. It levitates on top of my hands and managed to warm me up a little. Many times I've asked myself, is it so bad to be able to do this..? Who's to say? And most importantly, am I going to live out the rest of my non-existence life like this?

But there was one thing that comforted me during the most torturous hours. I extinguished the flame and took it out, and began playing it. It was hard at first, but given the amount of time I have on my side, it wasn't impossible.

Mom had began working also, to support my dad. Lightening his burden. My only duty was to stay here, and they reminded me of it every single day. But... I have about 5 hours until my mother came home from work. I giggled to myself and put on a leather jacket.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The first time I snuck out of the house, I only managed to walk about in the garden beside the apartment building. I felt like a criminal the whole thing and was afraid of getting caught. But this time, it'll different. I tightened my hold on the bow and walked some distance before reaching a nature park. It seemed like no one really enjoyed the nature in this area, since there was no signs of human life here. Not that I can smell any.

So I relaxed a little before venturing deeper. After marking several barks with a paring knife, I started shooting. Even standing a few feet away, the target was clear as day. The arrow was released and it tore right through the center of the mark. The crisp sound of the arrows hitting its target was refreshing to hear.

After exhausting myself, I went to retrieve back the arrows. Just as my hands landed on the arrow, a smell hit my nose. Werewolf.

It came from above I thought, as I looked around the top of the trees frantically. I heard my heartbeat in my ears and decided against staying here any longer. So I forsake the arrows and ran.

Then, I realized he wasn't alone. More of them waited in front, as a wave of werewolf scent flooded my sense. Was it five? Or six?? Rouges... I recognize this smell, and they were coming closer at an alarming speed. I inhaled sharply and quickly plucked out the arrows on the nearest tree bark. The only defense mechanism I could think of was my bow, at a state of panic.

I loaded and pointed the arrow towards the incoming werewolves. And they appeared from behind the tall trees, in their human forms.

"Little girl.. A werewolf too.." One of them said. "You're in our land!" Instead of answering them, I pulled back my bow further and readied myself to shoot.

"Don't come any closer." I warned. The man standing in the middle narrowed his eyes and lifted his nose to smell. "We have a prize today. She's elemental wolf." His eyes gleamed.

"No kidding! I've never seen one in my life." Another commented.
"Wait. If we bring her to the alpha, we could be rewarded! He might even take us back for doing something good. He'll enjoy burning her at the stake." The one with a long scar on his face added.

"Get her!" They shifted quickly and pounced on me before I could react. One of the wolves knocked my arms and the arrow was accidentally released into the sky, missing its target. My eyes flew open as he was going to jump on me. The next second, the wolf collapsed with a strangled yelp, and an arrow to the head. And I realized my hands were shaking, because I just killed someone.

"You little bitch! You killed our brother!" The rest of them circled me as they growled, and made a strategic approach to corner me. Just when I thought of using my abilities as the last resort, a white wolf came running out from the woods and pounced on the rouges. He's the first werewolf I caught the scent of!

I watched nervously as he seemingly danced around them, dodging their attacks expertly. He was very fast. One by one, the white wolf finishes off the group of rouges. I snapped my head around and noticed one of them managed to sneak away and was running out of the forest.

I stood up and loaded an arrow before aiming it at the back of its head. I'm sorry, I whispered. Then I lift my fingertips, sending the arrow flying, straight through the back of its skull. With a dying wail, the rouge eventually met his death.

I watched with a mash of emotions and an unsettled heart, but there was nothing I could do. I had to save myself.. The rustle of dried leaves made me turn my head around and I saw the white wolf limping away.

"Wait!" I jogged towards him. The white wolf looked up at me, unsure of my intentions. His eyes was the lightest of green I've ever seen, and it didn't seem to lose an inch of innocence after his recent kills. "Erm.. Thank you. For saving me." He shook his head once and continued on his way. He looked rather skinny from this angle.

Thinking to myself that he probably wouldn't do me harm, I decided to follow him first. Every now and then, he'd look over his shoulder, cautious with me.

At first, I pondered on where the wolf have lived. And surely, we reached his den. Unlike most wolves who belonged to a pack, the white wolf lived on his one, in this humble den that greeted my eyes. He's what they call lone wolves.

The den was set inside a hollow tree trunk, so it was dark but luckily warm. Dead leaves was spread over the floor and a bag pack was laid on the side. I assumed it was where he kept his stuff. The wolf twirls around and then lay himself on the pile of leaves. He watches me with careful eyes.

I placed my empty quiver and my bow down, before looking back at the wolf. "Aren't you going to shift back..?" I asked softly. He only blinked in response. I noticed he didn't lean his weight on his right fore leg, the one that he injured earlier. I gasped at the blood that coated his snow white fur and went to touch it without second thoughts. Once my hand touches him, he snarled loudly at me.

Jumping from the surprise, I retracted my hands guiltily. "I'm sorry.. I just wanted to help." He bent his ears back and his eyes turned warmer, and less hostile. Almost as if he was apologetic for snapping at me. He lowered his head and moved his fore leg closer to me. I stare wide-eyed at him at first, then smiled gratefully after getting his silent approval.

So I took out my water bottle and poured it over his wound, then used my handkerchief to tie it around his leg to cover it. It had the selenicerus flower sewn on it, by my mother. Because I didn't have any medications right now, this'll have to do.

My eyes met his and they were already fixed on me. He came out of it and looked away.

"Do you not mind that I'm a elemental wolf? You know the prophecy and all, shouldn't you be afraid of me..? We're monsters you all want to eliminate right?" I said. But I wasn't expecting an answer, for it was obvious. His eyes found mine again, this time it wasn't confusion or hostility. I saw sympathy. Just when I felt tears were coming, I repressed them down. "Don't pity me. I don't need them."

I exhaled loudly and a bright ray of light temporarily blinded my eyes. "Shit!" I yelled. The sun was setting! "I have to go. I'm sorry." I was lost on what to say to this stranger who had saved my life. So I ended up giving him one last look before picking up my stuff and dashing out of the forest.

And the white wolf stares off in the direction the girl disappears to.