Chapter 28 - You're mine

She hitched up her white dress and ran. Her breaths coming out in broken pace, the soles of her feet sinking into the snow. Victoria shut her eyes stiffly, willing herself to get the imagine of his limp body out of her head. No, she don't care about him, she don't, Victoria chanted.

The car was waiting in front with the headlights on, and Ralph and Lilly was slightly worked up when they saw her, relieved that their daughter was safe. However, as she was there spacing out, they found it odd that she was looking behind her with a vacant stare.

"Victoria darling, let's go before it's too late." Lilly warned, afraid that they might be ambushed or something. Victoria finally gave up and got in the car.

Lewis regained his consciousness with a sudden jolt, surprised he was knocked out by the invisible force. He sprung to his feet and grunted from the pain on his back. The forest was empty of life by now, still as the night. The only thing stirring wildly was his emotions. He was confused, happy, frustrated and worried all at the same time.

His chest ached out of the blue when he realized he was left here by his own mate, and he gritted his teeth miserably. He asked himself, why?? Why did she do that? Why was she so hostile to him? They were mates, weren't they??

But one thing was clear to him. She was an elemental werewolf, and that was probably the reason why her parents took her away 9 months ago. He understood the consequences if she were to be found by another alpha or beta. They can take her from him when they manage to step over his dead body.

A figure came near him and Lewis could smell that it was Sawyer. "Alpha." He called anxiously, and frowned when he noticed a small patch of blood on his back. He don't know what exactly happened but when he failed to mindlink Lewis just now, he was worried something bad have happened. Sawyer blamed himself for not protecting him.

Now wasn't the time to lament about Victoria, he needed to find her before she go too far, Lewis thought. "Stay here Sawyer. If the alpha king calls for me, tell him I'll be gone for a while."

"Wait! What are you doing Lewis??" Sawyer grab hold of his arm.

"I found her." Sawyer was stunned for a second, then pondered over his words. "Who? The Victoria girl, or.. your mate?"
"Both." He answered with a ghost of a smile. Sawyer nearly fell backwards. He don't understand.. does that mean Victoria was Lewis's mate? If that's so, why didn't he knew when she turned 18?? He met her before so it's impossible if he didn't knew she was her mate all along.

In actual fact, Lewis didn't quite understand either, especially why her hair and eyes changed color. But that's secondary to him. He needs to see her, and he needs to see her now.

"I've no time to explain. Keep this between us, remember that." He commanded urgently. "Lewis! Maybe you should think twice.. How are you going to find her?" He has a bad feeling about this. Furthermore, the alpha king will never approve of Victoria.

"You're telling me to just let her go..?" Lewis said with a threatening undertone. "No that's not what I meant.."

"She's my mate Sawyer!!" He bellowed furiously, and he could see the madness and desperation in Lewis's eyes. "I know-"
"You know nothing." He glared at his beta and shifted into his black wolf, sprinting off into the pitch-black forest. Along with Sawyer, a white shadow who was watching them the whole time disappeared from the scene.

Following the lingering smell of her in the air, he ran in the direction where Victoria went. He clearly remembered her scent from before. But it was very very faint, he lost her tracks a few times along to way. He also trailed after what he thinks was her footsteps in the snow, though they only did little help.