Chapter 18 - She's gone

Lewis's POV

The number you have dialed is not available. Please try again later.

Still can't get through. I've been coped up with Bridgette the past few days. One moment she wants to go to town, and horseback riding the next.

To put it in simple terms, she's practically acting like my fiancee. She's a pest, not to mention clingy. If not for my father, I'd not hesitate to ditch her in the middle of the busy streets and drove off. I would rather be in front of my desk doing dreadful paper work than spending another minute with her. Mentally drained, I fall asleep instantly every night once I hit the hay.

Finally having some time away from her today, I tried contacting Victoria after seeing her missed calls the other day. Yet, she have not returned any of my phone calls or text messages. The guards from the front gate informed me that she came looking for me before.

She did spoke of a trip with her friends this summer break.. Maybe I can try asking them where she is. Putting on a plain t-shirt and ripped jeans, I head downstairs to the garage.

"Morning, Lewis." Brad, one of the higher rank wolfs, greeted me along the hallway. I gave a nod back.

"Shit!" I dodged to a corner when I caught her scent. Bridgette..! She asked one of the maids if she'd seen me. Quickly making my way to the garage, I was glad to get rid of her. I clenched my jaw, slightly embarrassed of acting like a thief in my own house.

"You should be. An alpha like you afraid of a woman." Roger rolled his eye at me.

"Shut up. You don't know how annoying she can be."

"Hmph. Coward." I slammed the car door shut to drown out his insults. If only it's possible to strangle your wolf.

"I heard that!" He retorted.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I parked my car at the side and entered the Rising crescent pack house. The pack members here were lively; Children and adults hanged out outside their house, having picnics, playing frisbee. Everyone were enjoying their summer break. Inside the pack house was the same happy ambience, but quickly tensed once some of them spotted me. Of course I wasn't invited to their pack so they weren't expecting me either. And knowing who I am didn't help much with the hostility.

"Ahem. I'm looking for Alpha Trenton." Ignoring the awkwardness, I went upstairs to the alpha's office. One of them suggested to lead the way, but I told them it's fine.

Standing near the office door, I could already smell who's inside. The alpha, his luna, Victoria's friends, Megan and Heather and.. Keith. He's really close to this pack like they said. Or should I say Victoria's pack. I gritted my teeth unconsciously.

"Oh where could they go..? I know Ralph and Lilly. They wouldn't just do things without reasons!"

"Renee I know. But from the note they left, it sounds like they'd planned this beforehand." the alpha sounded unhappy.

"Yes.. Victoria came to us last night and told us they were going on some sort of a trip. To where, she didn't say anything.."

"They wouldn't be in any trouble, would they??"

"Luna, I believe they'll be ok. Maybe they have reasons they couldn't tell us.." Huh? She left the pack..?? Nothing else came out after that, then someone banged the table.

"Keith, calm down. She told you to not worry about her. Her parents are with her, she'll be fine!"

"Anyway, I can only report that they have left the pack officially. No trackers would be sent for them in the mean time."

The door suddenly opens, and Keith came out, not surprised to see me outside. He came up to me and matched my cold stare.

"Didn't anyone tell you it's rude to eavesdrop..?" I frowned at his tone. What the hell's with that anger directed at me?

"Keith! Where are you go-" Megan came out after him, her eyes red from crying, followed by the rest in the office.

"I will go look for her." He replied curtly, still glaring at me. Then he passed me by and went downstairs and out of the pack house.

"Your highness.. What brings you here?" Alpha Trenton asked me, baffled as to why I'm here at his pack unannounced. I thought for a second before replying. "I wish to speak to Megan and Heather." I spoke calmly, as though the previous encounter with Keith didn't happened.

"Sure.." He said skeptically. "Excuse us." I walked briskly to Victoria's room with the two tailing behind me. Her room wasn't hard to find, of course that's because I came here before and left the presents for her. The two of them didn't find it weird that I knew her room. Once inside, I started asking about what happened and why she left. The two of them shared a look before replying. I was pleased that they didn't sounded as hostile as Keith. That bastard.

"She left yesterday night around 3am. It wasn't until she called us to her room that we knew she was leaving so suddenly." Megan said while blowing her nose. Then Heather explained she only told them to not worry about her when she's gone. What is she thinking..? Leaving without saying a word to me?

"That reminds me, she became weird a few days back. She'd lock herself up in her room and didn't really spoke much to us. We too have no idea what happened to her.." Megan mentioned with a perplexed face.

I could tell that they were truthful about what they knew. So after processing everything, I asked if I could stay in her room for a while. They were understanding and left me by myself and closed the door behind them.

I walked around her room, emotions stirring like a quiet storm inside me. Her bed still unmade, as if she was just here a moment ago. Half of her clothes in the closet was cleared out and some of her stuff was lying around; some of her left behind. Anyone could see that she left in quite a hurry.

I don't know what to feel, but I was mad that she didn't tell me she was leaving. Not even a simple note or message. Doesn't she know that I would worry about her? Doesn't she know how important and special she was to me?

Times with her were limited, but they were my best memories. Just thinking of her makes my heart swell with happiness.

Opening up the drawers of her nightstand, several photo albums were inside. I flipped through it and saw her childhood photos while she was in elementary school. She was pulling a funny face with her friends. As I go through the album, it reflects the progress of her becoming who she is right now.

I wonder why I didn't pay attention to her enough. Then perhaps I would be a part of her life earlier. Taking one of the photo and tearing it in half, I kept the part with her in it and left the other half inside the album. I brushed the photo gently with my fingers.

"If only you had given me a little more time. Just a little.. I would ask you to marry me."