Chapter 31

"Did he asked about me?" He looked at his beta worriedly. Lewis had been gone from the pack ever since he found Victoria and it's been two weeks.
"Yes, Alpha." Sawyer paused slightly, his hands behind his back as he reported to Lewis. He was standing in front of his study desk. This house was a secret that none knew other than him. "You should probably get back soon. I think he's getting a little unrest."

He paced back and forth, then stop on his tracks.

"Tell him there's some issues with rouges we found in the north side of our land few months ago." Lewis gave Sawyer a look which he quickly understood and nod back in acknowledgement. Lewis knew he was not setting a good example as a leader but he had more important stuff to deal with. His mate meant more than the world to him. How can he return, leaving Victoria here?

"Take a few men with you and patrol the woods. He'll grow suspicious. It's just a matter of time."

He turned around, very aware that Sawyer was looking at him intently, "Back then.. you said Victoria, from the Rising Cresent Pack, is your true mate?" He threaded on the subject cautiously. "How is that possible?"

A string of tension hung between the two powerful werewolves, and only worsens as Lewis had kept to himself ever since he found Victoria. Lewis leaned on the ledge of the window, looking out; looking for an appropriate answer. He had wondered when Sawyer would bring it up. Yes he did told Sawyer, and only him, about this revelation. After all, he would need his help when the time comes. Victoria is in grave danger. He can't afford not even one mistake, especially so with his father, the Alpha king breathing down his neck.

He sighed and turned towards his beta, placing his hands firmly on his shoulder. "It's true. I didn't believed it at first, but yet, it is. The moment our eyes met, I knew by heart she was the one."

"I know you as a sane man. You're my alpha and I trust you with my life. But.. Do you know how absurb this sound?" Sawyer knew he didn't have to spell it out for Lewis to see how insane he sound. Who'd make a mate connection out of the blue with someone they'd seen countless times before?

More importantly, what would the Alpha King make of it? His first guess would be Lewis make this up so he could escape marrying someone else appointed by the Alpha King.

To make matters worse, Lewis only reveals his discovery of a mate at this point of time when the deadline given by the King is up. Even a fool would have his doubts.

Sawyer gripped onto Lewis's arm the same way he did. He didn't know what exactly he wanted to convey, but that was his way of telling Lewis he's his friend, not his foe.
"I heard she disappeared for a while now and I know you took a huge hit," Lewis huffed in annoyance and clutched his hands on the table top as Sawyer continues, "all I'm saying is.." He recalled the day he found Emily. One look from her and it sealed his fate. He was no longer himself. He was reborn with a sole purpose that is his mate. There was nothing like finding a mate connection. He glanced over at Lewis, mentally running through the likelihood of him misinterpreting a connection this strong. He could empathise with how much Lewis misses someone who have come to be important to him. Perhaps he misunderstood his yearning for something else.

Finally, all his chaotic thoughts condenses into three unsettling words.
".. Are you sure?"

Half expecting Lewis to flare up in defense, Sawyer overcame with shock to see what he hasn't seen before - a pain that couldn't be seen; a pain that doesn't come in a form of physical cuts and wounds. It resembles a heart broken by a lover who falls into an eternal-sleep. There's only one thing more fearful than dying.

"When you had hoped for something so long.. and you finally have it now. Yet my soul becomes restless once more, for the only way to be at peace is to bind two souls together, so one will never have to go someplace without the other."