The Call (Chapter One)

Ashley climbed onto my bed and started jumping like an idiot. She was acting very un-Ashley like considering she was normally pretty grim. I opened my eyes and she was on the phone of course.

“Okay, I’ll let you talk to my partner,” Ashley held the phone out to me. I shook my head.

“Ash, why do you make it seem like I’m your girlfriend?” I asked. She ignored me and pressed the phone into my hand.

“Hello?” I waited a second before speaking.

“This is Jared’s manager,” there was a long pause before, “Jared Leto’s manager.”

My jaw dropped to the floor. Dear lord! Is this a joke or was my wildest dream coming true? Had our demo really gotten the attention of Thirty Seconds to Mars?

“Oh, so I’m guessing Ashley got the apprentice job thing?” I asked. It sounded unprofessional, yes, but I didn’t know how to word it.

“Yes, she did and you both have a quite a bit of talent,” the manager responded. I sighed inwardly. I only wrote the songs so there wasn’t a lot of talent on my part. But I still felt proud.

“Well, thank you,” I looked to Ash and pointed at the phone, pumping my fist in excitement.

“Can you arrange a flight for you and Ashley to be flown into LAX as soon as possible? There’s very important work to be done and we should start immediately,” the manager said. I barely registered her words as I could hear another voice speaking in the background. I could barely make out his words until he spoke up.

“Is that them?!” shouted the familiar voice.

“Yes.”

There was rustling and then the once inaudible voice came through.

“Put this on speaker phone, please,” he said. I did as I was told.

“This is Jared and I’d like to say that I can’t wait to work with you two. I’m ready for this new adventure and can’t wait to start this project,” he said cheerfully. I started coughing and Ashley gave me a huge grin.

“Uh, are you okay over there?” Jared asked seriously but I could hear him trying to hide a smile.

“Yes, Aleana just seems to be dying,” Ashley answered. I started laughing, my face coloring a bright shade of red. I was extremely embarrassed as to how were handling this unprofessionally.

“Okay, then you should get packing and I’ll see you soon.”

The line went dead and I looked at Ashley.

“We’re moving to LA!” I screamed. I’d always wanted to go. Not that tons of people in the music industry didn’t want to go to LA.

“I know, I know. No ned to point it out,” she joked, sticking her tongue out. I threw a pillow in her direction and she dodged it.

“You know what I mean,” I smiled, jumping off the bed. I grabbed my ancient laptop and pulled up a travel website. Booking a flight for 8:30 pm tonight, I thought about what we’d have to pack although it wouldn’t be much. But the flight wouldn’t take us to LAX straightaway but to Phoenix, Arizona first before we jumped another flight to LA. Once I purchased our tickets, Ashley and I began packing and the bare means of our old lives.

“What should I wear? Edgy, comfy or the one that shows off these triple D’s?!” Ashley giggled waving a hand at her giant boobs—real boobs I must add— while revealing three shirts. I snickered and point at the third one as I knew she’d wear it anyways. I grabbed four shirts and asked, “Little showy, comfy, edgy or wild child?”