Chapter 4

Chapter 4

Division

The day Marco was released. Our parents let us have a night alone together. We haven't been alone since the twins were born. Also, they didn't want to overwhelm Marco with things. We didn't want him to lose anymore of his memory.

I drove us to a nearby park. It's where he wanted to go so I didn't protest.

"I'm surprised my friends haven't called today." Marco said, checking his messages.

I swung a little on the swings we're sitting on. "I told them about you. They should be calling soon." I told him. Marco shrugged and put his phone in his pocket.

Marco sighed and looked at me, giving me a smile. I could tell he was going to say something weird.

"So this good Marco..." He started. "You like him better?"

"Honestly... yes. You've been out of trouble for a while. You were willing to help others sometimes. And you loved our kids."

"Huh... he sounds boring. What did you do to me?" He joked.

I gasped and gave him a playful punch, laughing.

"I didn't do anything to you. You did it to yourself. And he wasn't boring. He was you. Just with some more good qualities."

"Whatever."

There was a silence. Marco cleared his throat and looked at me with a serious look.

"Uh... no one told me how I ended up in a car accident. I always pay attention. Do you know what happened?"

I sighed and stood up. I began to walk towards a nearby bench. I heard Marco following behind me. He took my hand and stopped me.

"Tell me." He said once I was facing him.

"I don't like thinking about it. I saw the whole thing and it was scary. You were drunk. You did some crazy things and only wanted more alcohol. I was trying to stop you, but failed."

"Why did I drink so much? What happened?"

"I don't know. I wanted to sober you up so I could find out, but I never did. We may never know."

He pulled me to him and wrapped his arms around my waist. I looked into his light blue eyes.

"When I remember, and I will, you'll be the first to know."

"Sounds perfect." He gave me a kiss and I smiled. It's nice to know that he's thinking positive. He believes he'll get his memory back and I hope he will.

Marco took my hand and we walked towards my car. I don't allow Marco to drive, afraid something might happen. I know he was drunk at the time, but I'm still afraid something could happen.

"Marco, why don't you love the twins?" I asked him. "You loved them before."

"The other Marco is a loser. He's soft. I'm staying this way. The twins are fine without me, I'm sure."

"They've already gotten attached. They smile and laugh when you come around. They'll be walking soon and before we know it, they'll be one-year-olds."

"And?"

"And.... You don't want to experience that? See them take their first steps?"

"No."

I sighed. If only that part of him didn't leave. It wouldn't be so bad if the twins hadn't gotten attached. My cell rang and I quickly answered.

"Yeah?" I answered.

"Oh my gosh, the twins are crawling!" My mom yelled through the phone.

"What?" I asked, a smile forming on my face.