19

"Hunter!" I scream as I take in my bare walls. He has to be okay. My eyes scan the area around me and relief washes through me I am in my room. I try to sit up quickly but my body slides off my bed. I drop hard to the floor the pain on my side does not stop me. I jump to my feet and run to the door and pull it open.

Get to the infirmary!

Andrew is in the hallway staring at me as if I have gone completely insane. I run to him, "Why the hell am I in my bedroom? Where's Hunter?" I shout at him as anger gets the best of me. I told him that I wanted to stay by his side.

"Erm, what?" Andrew looks at me confused, "I went straight to bed after I talked to you." Whatever, I do not have time for this. I push pass him and run to the infirmary.

Running in I see Drake and his mate walking out. He gives me a small smile and I nod back at him. I do not stop until I make it to the back of the room. My hand grabs ahold of the door handle. My heart quickens and my palm becomes sweaty.

I open the door and my eyes take in the sight before me.

The room is spotless. No machines. The bed made. No chart and most importantly no Hunter. It is as if he was never here. My heart jumps to my throat as my eyes start to burn.

Dr. Graham!

"Yes." I spin on my heels and Dr. Graham is standing at the door looking at me.

"Where is he?" I stammer as my emotions are at the brink of sending me into a full panic attack.

"Alpha Hunter woke up early this morning and left after I did all my checkups." She states rather coolly.

"He left?" My voice goes up an octave and I clear my throat.

"Yes." The pain in my chest is a stabbing one. I take a deep breath and give her a thankful smile.

I walk out of the room and then out of the infirmary. There is a lump in my throat but I hold myself together as I pass some pack members. I make my way back to my bedroom to get ready for the days business.

He just left? My wolf cannot hide her pain.

He left without even a goodbye.

I'm sorry. My wolf feels my pain and I try to shake it off. Andrew is not in the hall when I make my way through it. I walk up to my door and open it up. My room is in its usual mayhem but there is something that makes my heart stop beating for a second.

His golden sleepy eyes are on me. My eyebrows scrunch together. "Hunter?"

He closes his eyes and chuckles silently as he nods. The breath I take in makes my whole body feel lighter.

"The one and only...unless you know another?" His eyes open up a bit and he stares at me for a moment waiting for an answer, I shake my head.

He smiles weakly. "Why are you here?"

His smile drops, "do you want me to leave?"

"No, I just thought you left already," my hand goes to the back of my neck scratching an imaginary itch, "without saying goodbye again."

"I wouldn't leave without saying anything and for before I'm sorry that was an asshole move to do."

"You're sorry? I'm sorry for being a complete bitch and not listening to what you had to say. Maybe we could have avoided all of this." My eyes go to his bandaged chest and the bandages are clean of blood.

He lifts up the blanket telling me to get in. My body does not hesitate I walk over to my bed and get in. Hunter pulls me closer to him. He takes a deep breath and relaxes my chest is against his side. My hand goes to his chest. He groans loudly.

"What hurts?" I am ready to jump out of bed.

"Your hands are freezing." He musing smile tells me that he is fine.

"I'm sorry," I lift my hand from his chest but his grabs mine and puts it back.

"But I'm getting use to your coldness. Do you know what I thinking before you showed out in the forest."

I shake my head, "no."

"I need to keep my promise to you and I failed." My promise?

My eyes go up to him, "what?"

"You said to bring your pack back safe, so I took as many hits from the rogues as I could but Drake wanted to get some action and when I jumped in he got distracted and got hurt."

"It's okay he's fine. I saw you get hurt and I hated myself for letting you leave the house mad. I saw through Jonas's eyes how you took his attack."

My breath hitches and he swallows loudly. "It's fine."

We lay there in silence for a moment. "How did you wake up? I mean the doctor said that you were fighting your wolf and that you weren't letting him heal you."

"I went into my darkest corner. I wanted nothing to do with my wolf. I felt like a failure to you and your pack. After a while I completely shut my wolf out of my mind but then there was this little spark in the darkness that I hung onto. Do you know what it was?"

"No I don't."

He smiles, "you. You brought me out of my darkness the way your voice said my name with sadness."

"I woke you up?" He nods.

"In the short time I've spent with you all you ever said in your sleep was Marcus. This time your dreams were being tormented by me. I held on to your voice and woke up in the infirmary." I said his name in my sleep. I can feel my cheeks getting hot.

You were his lifesaver.

"When I saw you slump over the chair I pushed the call doctor button so the doctor could release me. Once she finished looking me over I carried you to your bedroom and here we are."

"So you saw me..." I point to the floor.

He laughs and nods. "I didn't know what you were doing." He yawns loudly.

He needs his rest.

"Do you want to sleep?" He nods and I try to get out of the bed but he pulls me closer to him. My nose and forehead press against his neck as he takes a deep breath.

"Stay," his sleepy voice makes me smile.

"Okay."

"Your heartbeat is the best lullaby," he says with his raspy voice. My heart burst in my chest.

"As yours," I snuggle closer to him as his breathing evens out and we both fall into the darkness.

This slumber is like the rest I have experience with Hunter peaceful and content. With the exception that this time he wants me there just as much as I want him here as well. He makes me feel safe and warm inside. Something I thought I would never get again.