Corbin

**Edited**

Kiara's POV

I stared at the door that Poppy had just slammed shut, guilt eating away at my stomach. I knew it was wrong of me to not tell her that he was the one who'd called me the other day, but I didn't want to unnecessarily worry her if I could avoid it. I didn't actually think my big brother was serious about returning home, or his reasoning why. I whipped my head around and directed a murderous glare at Knox. He returned my look with one of his own that screamed I'm stubborn and won't change my mind no matter what!

"Knox, what the fuck!? What the hell are you even doing here?" I yelled, hoping to God he would say something about wanting to see me or visit some childhood friends. Anything other than what he'd said on the phone would've been perfectly fine with me.

"I told you the exact reason for me coming back over the phone, Kiara. It's not my fault you didn't take me seriously," he sneered back at me. I scoffed at him and placed my hands on my hips in a defiant pose. There was once a time where Knox and I were practically best friends growing up; but then I grew older and his incessant teasing of my best friend didn't stop - if anything, it grew more annoying and persistent. We began growing apart, fighting more often than we ever had before. When my parents finally sent him away and severely limited my contact with him before we could patch things up, our relationship just kind of...died, I guess.

Looking at him now, all I could see was a man that I barely knew but there was still so much about him that reminded me of the brother I admired and loved as a child; the I'm-right-don't-question-me tone, the protective look in his eyes, the serious stature, the face sans-smile. I'd always looked up to him as my protector and knight-in-shining-armor. He was the one who used to brush away my tears and bandage my cuts. But then he decided his favorite pass time was causing trouble and picking on Poppy, and things just went downhill from there.

Thinking about all his tendencies made me realize that I should've taken what he said seriously. When Knox wants something, he will stop at nothing to get it; it appears that's something that would always ring true about him. I should've done more to protect my best friend and one of the most important people in my life. All I could do now was damage control.

"You have got to be kidding me, Knox! You know as well as I do that you're absolutely no good for her. Not to mention, she'll never return your feelings - not after treating her like complete shit the entire time you've known her!" I hissed. I could tell my words hadn't settled well with him as he began clenching and unclenching his jaw while his hands balled up into tight fists.

Like I really fucking care, I just want him to stay the hell away from my best friend.

"Trust me, I know that she's far too good for a fucked up piece of shit like me. I've known it my whole life, but I have absolutely no intentions of giving her up. She has been, and always will be, mine. I'll make damn sure she and everyone else knows exactly that," he spat back at me. His words caused my anger to increase ten-fold.

"I know that you won't respect my wishes when I ask you to stay away from her and just let her live her life. I don't know why you can't just let this obsession of yours go, but I know you won't. I'm going to warn you right now that if you break her heart, I swear to God I'll castrate you with a rusty kitchen knife and give her your balls on a silver platter as a gift. Brother or not, Poppy is the most important person in the world to me and I will not stand by and let you treat her like shit all over again. Do I make myself clear?" I demanded. He grunted in reply before shooting me an annoyed glare. "I mean it, Knox James Carmichael. If you can't treat her right then you need to fucking leave her be and let her find happiness with someone who can and will."