Trying Times (Bonus Chapter)

THIS CHAPTER WASN'T CRUCIAL TO THE PLOT SO IT HAS NOT BEEN EDITED YET AND IT WILL BE DONE LATER

***An amazing reader by the name of @Geraldine1397 requested that I do a chapter in Poppy's mom's point of view so we can see what's going on inside that sweet little head of Cassidy's. This will kind of back track a bit because it's going to show her inner turmoil and such, but let me forewarn you, it's long. ;) Thank you for the request!!

I hope you guys like this, because I fucking love the way it turned out. Seriously.***

Cassidy's POV

I watched as Poppy and Knox left the shop hand in hand. I looked around the main room of the store and inhaled the sweet fragrance that the bouquets of random flowers gave off. Just thirty minutes ago I was minding my own business and assembling new arrangements, but now I don't know what I'm supposed to do. Was there a protocol for being cheated on by your husband of 16 years even though you're still madly in love with him?

I buried my head in my hands, begging my brain to boot back up and just start doing. Tears trickled down my face, but I didn't have the energy to wipe them away anymore. Did I even have the energy to fight with Michael about this when I got home? When would he be home? How long had his affair been happening for? He's been stuck at the office with these "difficult cases" for almost six months now. Did it start before that? Did I dismiss the obvious signs? Most importantly, why wasn't I good enough?

I shook my head, ridding it of the destructive thoughts. I grabbed my keys and flipped the on sign, as well as all the shop lights, off before lethargically making my way to the car; the car that Michael paid for, in the dress that Michael gave me for our anniversary last year, in the shoes he brought me back from New York, in the necklace he gave me for mother's day, and wearing the ring that was supposed to be a symbol of his love for me. Everything began to weigh down on me, making it almost impossible to breath.

I dozed off as I drove home, something I always scold Poppy about.

"Never drive unaware!" I would say. Yet here I was - the biggest hypocrite in her life. Driving unaware, ignoring stop signs, continuing to love a man who doesn't deserve it. I was a terrible excuse for a mother. What's that saying though? Do as I say, not as I do? Yes, that's the one. 

I pulled into the driveway of the house we built our life in together. It's large frame casting and ominous shadow over me. Michael's car was still parked in the garage, which had me tensing up all over again. What if she's still here?

I released a timid breath of air before getting out and quietly shutting my door; I didn't want to give him any heads up that I was here. My kitten heels lightly clicked against the cement of our driveway, and continued their haunting clacking as I continued up the walkway and stopped in front of our front door.

I slid the key in the deadbolt painfully slow, turning my wrist to the right and hearing the daunting sound of the lock being undone. Just like my life. I thought somberly.

The door creaked with protest as I pushed it open ever so slightly. I could hear faint shuffling, but I couldn't tell of what exactly. Shutting the door behind me and relocking it, I waited.

"Don't worry about giving me a ride back to the office you piece of sh*t! I'd rather walk to the bus stop that sit in your general vicinity." A high-pitched nasal voice sneered from what appeared to be the bathroom connected to the kitchen.

My heartbeat thumped against my chest wildly, blood pulsated in my ears. I could barely hear anything over the whooshing sound it caused. Just as she was about to exit the kitchen and come face to face with me, she spun back around quickly to spit more venomous words at him.