15| Better

Chapter Fifteen

Angelia's POV

You know that feeling you get when you can't breathe?

Like you don't expect to see something but then you do and it hits you like a truck?

Deandra touched my arm and looked behind me, then back at my face. We were in the café drinking some coffee before class started. The place was filled with students, studying or working on some homework assignments.

"What's wrong?"

She tried to play it off and brushed her curly hair over her shoulder, smiling a little too wide. "Psh, nothing," she laughed out. I
raised an eyebrow and turned around, immediately wishing I hadn't.

I stayed in the position I was in, staring, wishing I could turn away but I stayed there. Deandra nudged my head and I blinked, turning around, sinking in my seat.

My breathing started to increase, my eyes started to sting, and my chest started to hurt.
Deandra sighed and got up, gathering our things, and grabbing my arm to reel me toward the exit.

My eyes went back to where he sat with another girl, smiling and laughing. I felt the wind get knocked out of me once again.

Because he was happy,

and I was still broken.

******************************************

"Angie?"

I turn around and the girl smiles, "I'm Xandra. Nice to meet you." I look at her outstretched hand then back at her. In my head I question why the fuck this girl would be talking to me, but in reality I ask, "Did you transfer?"

She nods happily, "Yeah, over break." I nod and turn back around. Xandra calls my name out again and when I turn around she says, "I know Yoandri. Your boyfriend?"

Pain starts to appear in my chest at her words and I clutch onto the sleeves of my shirt. My breathing starts to become unsteady and I shake my head, "He's not-" I take a deep breath.

I look to her and examine her concerned face, "He's not my boyfriend." She sighs in disappointment and I nod, looking down at my feet, then at my hands.

They were in fists.

I try to relax my muscles and turn back around, tensing up when he passes next to me. He goes to his seat and I stay quiet.

Deandra looks at me from her seat and I send her a weak smile. Yoandri's seat was next to mine, we set it up that way.

I hear something on the desk sliding towards me and turn my head a little to see his hand retracting. My eyes look over to him and he only looks at the envelope then at me, turning back around in his seat.

Once he clicks his pen, I gently grasp the envelope in my hands. I hear my heartbeat in my ears as my fingers tremble, my head dizzy.

"Are you going to open it?"

My breath gets stuck in my throat and I look at Yoandri incredulously. He gives me a smile and my eyes flicker to his pinkish red lips. I look at him then at the letter, "Yeah. Hold on."

He nods and stays facing towards me. My thumb slides under the flap of the envelope and I start to rip it open. Once the flap is no longer sealed I take a deep breath.

You got this, Angelia.

Open it.

I grasp the letter with my hands and carefully open it. I start to read and once I'm done, I laugh and crumple it up, "Fuck you, Yoandri." Throwing it at his head, he swiftly catches it and frowns, "Not the reaction I was expecting."

My hands turn into fists yet once again and the sleeves of my shirt our being pulled on. "It's crazy," I chuckle. His voice interrupts my thoughts and I turn my head, looking at him.

I run a hand through my hair, "It's crazy how you can love a person so much and all you get back is disloyalty and betrayal." My voice remains steady and Yoandri's eyes search my face, "But things change and you wanna know a secret?"

His eyes stare into mine and I bite my lip, "I hate you. A lot. It's a big word and its appropriate in explaining how I feel about you."

"I fucking hate you."

Every word that tumbles out of my mouth, somehow effects him and his eyes start to get glossy. I sigh before slumping down in my chair and taking down some notes. "I love you," he says. My head snaps to his face where a single tear is rolling down his cheek. "I love you and I will keep on loving you till the day I die, Angelia," his voice cracks.

Everything seems quiet, too quiet, and then my vision is black. As I fall on the floor, my head starts to spin and his words echo in my thoughts. I hear a sharp crack and pain starts to radiate throughout my whole body.

There's a buzzing in my ears, a sensation in my bones that makes me scared. Hands are on me, my hair is being caressed, a gentle kiss is laid on my lips, and I'm being carried.

Everything is peaceful, serene, the pain leaves my body. I try to smile but nothing happens and I feel my breathing start to get slower.

A distinct, metallic taste appears in my mouth and I swallow the thick fluid.

Blood?

I shake my head at the thought and soon, I'm moving fast. A warm feeling spreads across my body, sweet and welcoming. My breaths get shallower, my whole body goes still and I can't feel anything.

*****************************************

So this is death?

I sigh internally at my thoughts and I feel pressure on my chest.

That's a good sign, right?

Something is in my throat, helping me breath, and I try to open my eyes, try hard to hear but fail.

I can't die.

After a few minutes, the warmth from earlier comes back and I sigh in relief.

Better.

In all the fuss I feel someone's warm hand in mine, squeezing every now and then. The warm feeling disappears and the pain comes back stronger than ever.

"Yoandri."

My own voice scares me and I hear a gasp of surprise then his raspy voice, "I'm here, Angelia. I'm here, baby." I smile and open my eyes just to see his beautiful big brown eyes one last time.

"SHE'S CRASHING."

_____________________________

a/n

(honestly I don't know what to put here that won't anger you guys any further so I'm just gonna put 🦄)

🦄