17| Nightmares

Chapter Seventeen

Yoandri's POV

"Please no."

Sobs escape my throat as Angelia's cheeks drip with tears, "I love you. I love you so much," she whispers. I cry harder and hold her tightly to my chest, "I love you too. I will always love you."

Angelia smiles and I look up at the stars above us, "Don't leave me," I whisper. She cradles my cheek and blood seeps through her clothing. "Don't." Her eyes flutter close and her breathing slows. "I'm sorry." She opens her eyes and the stars reflect in her eyes.

"Goodbye, Yoandri."

And just like that she leaves.

I look at her lifeless body in my arms and tears drip down my cheeks to my neck. "No, no, no." I shake her and when she doesn't respond I let out a loud, frustrated scream. It was blood-curdling.

"Come back."

******************************************

"Yoandri!"

I wake up with a start, my blood cold, my hands shaking, tears on my cheeks. I wipe my eyes, the backs of my hands now moist.

Joel is next to me with a concerned expression on his face. I take shaky breaths in an attempt to calm myself but only fail miserably.

"Is she-" I close my eyes and inhale deeply, finding it incredibly hard to find the right words to say in this state.

"Is she okay?"

Joel looks at me for a few seconds before he sighs and shakes his head, "If I knew I would tell you." I look away from his worried eyes, wanting nothing more than to hear that she is okay.

I blow air out of my cheeks and still shiver from the nightmare.

She's gonna be fine.

Joel slowly sits down next to me and I cradle my head in my hands. I rub my face repeatedly and concentrate on the sterilized floor.

"She's gonna be okay right?"

It becomes quiet in the waiting room, as if every family wants to hear the answer that could potentially heal the gashing wound in their hearts. Eventually, Joel answers back.

"Yeah. She's gonna be okay," he murmurs.

I nod and run my fingers through my hair repeatedly. We stay in a comfortable silence and I look down at my hands which were trembling slightly, unable to stop.

I huddle closer together, wanting to avoid contact with other people. Apparently, someone doesn't get the message as they sit down next to me.

It's absolutely silent then I hear a voice peep out, "You know she is gonna be fine right?" I don't respond to Xandra's question and she simply keeps talking.

"Angelia is a strong lady. She's fearless and fierce. She's gonna make it through," she nods.

I stay mute and she finally finishes, "She's a fighter and you should start fighting for her."