Chapter 1: Call me Jack

A/N: Hello~! This is an actual chapter. It takes place before the sneak-peak. Now, I do not know much about people who are blind so I'm steadily doing research on the topic and hoping I can convey it into the story. That being said, I hope I don't/do not intend to offend anyone who knows a blind person by describing something wrong or anything like that. Anyway, onto the story.

Sean walked out of the apartment with Mark following behind. After Sean heard the click of the door being locked he turned and started down the sidewalk with Mark beside him. They had walked down this road so many times before that Sean didn't need his white cane to navigate it. Though every once in a while there would be something laying on the sidewalk that would get caught under his feet. The two chatted pleasantly. Mark then began describing a game he found beautiful. Though Sean knew Mark tried his best to describe all the details, Sean couldn't see it. He wasn't sure if Mark fully understood no matter how much or hard he described something, a person who has been blind since birth cannot see the words he says.

When they arrived at school Mark lead Sean to his first class. Mark knew Sean was perfectly capable of navigating the campus by himself but it made Mark feel better if Sean didn't have to go anywhere alone. The professor smiled as he saw the men walk in. The two went to a rather small college. Almost all the professors knew their students. "How are you today, gentlemen?" The professor greeted. This was Sean's favorite professor who happened to teach his not so favorite course.

"We're doing well, Mr. Morrison," Sean answered happily. Just being around the man made him happy to learn. 

More students began to walk into the class, some greeting their teacher as they entered. "You should probably start heading to class, Mark," Mr. Morrison said. Sean could hear the smile that played on his lips. He seemed to always smile.

"Right. I'll see you 'round, Jack." Mark left with a pat on his friend's shoulder.

A few minutes later class began. Mr. Morrison greeted all his students and began the lecture. Sean was always allowed to record Mr. Morrison's lectures. He still took a few notes here and there but he mainly relied on the recordings. It was rather difficult for him to understand what was going on and focus on imputing those words and numbers into braille. Math was never his favorite subject. In the middle of Mr. Morrison explaining a problem to a student the door to the class swung open dramatically. Sean heard student's chairs creak as they turned to see who was there. "Sorry I'm late," the person said. It was male. His voice was a bit rough, but it wasn't unpleasant. Sean didn't recognize it one bit.

"Alright... Take a seat. I'm sure you'll be able to catch up." Mr. Morrison sounded confused and a bit surprised. His class was hardly interrupted in a way like this.

Sean knew there was an available seat next to him. He could feel the mysterious person fill up the blank space. Mr. Morrison continued explaining the problem on the board. "I'm Sam," the person beside Sean said. He jumped slightly at the unexpected sound. "What's yours?"

Sean hesitated a bit. Why was this guy talking to him? "Uh... Y-you can call me Jack."

Sam hummed in response. Sean awkwardly went back to listening to the professor. First this guy just randomly entered class and then he starts talking to Sean in the middle of a lecture. Whoever he was he was a bit strange.

Eventually class ended. Sean and the other students put their things away. A few students walked up to the front of the class to talk to Mr. Morrison while most of the students stood up and left. Sean got up from his seat, slung his backpack on his shoulder and made a grab at where his white cane was. But his hand met air. He panicked slightly but thought that it could have fallen without him noticing. Sean bent over and searched the ground for the familiar shape. His fingers bumped into it and he grabbed it, preparing himself to stand up, but something - it felt suspiciously like a foot- came into contact with his side and he toppled over. He heard feet stop shuffling out the class and some mumbling. Sean ignored it and pushed himself off the ground. His head collided with the desk above him making him hiss and curse under his breath. Someone walked over to him. "Would you like some help?" It was a female. Her voice was soft as if she was unsure she should be talking.

Sean flushed. "Y-yeah." The female guided Sean out from under the desk and helped him up. "Thanks."

"Don't mention it." He could hear a smile.

Mark was waiting for Sean outside. "You okay?" Mark couldn't help but ask. His friend took longer than he usually did getting out of class. Sean was just always so carefree that Mark had to worry for the both of them.

Sean grinned. "Never better."

Mark smiled. "Alright. Well you want me to walk you home today? My class starts in ten minutes so I have some time."

"Not that much time. Besides - I'm a big boy, Mark, I can handle myself." I just can't handle getting out from under a desk.

Mark chuckled a bit. "I don't doubt you. But be safe alright? I'll meet you for lunch."

The two parted ways.

Sean strolled down the familiar sidewalk. The wind that carried his hair smelled sweet. Not a candy sweet that's very pleasant but a sickening sweet - like someone dumped a bottle of perfume into the air. Sean thought about where it could be coming from while he walked. As he was almost home he heard feet pounding against the cement. For a second he thought Mark was running to catch up with him, but the pounding was too harsh. That wasn't Mark racing toward him. Sean's mind took off with different possibilities and none of them were good. But he reasoned that the person was just going to run around him. Yet... why were they running so fast?

As the person drew near, Sean was expecting to hear their feet move off to the side, but they didn't. The footsteps stayed on their path and Sean felt two hands pushing against his back. Sean was sent to the ground and the feet ran off. He stayed on the ground for a few seconds absolutely confused as to what just happened. He picked himself and his cane off the floor. His knees hurt and his hands stung but he made it home. After feeling around in his backpack pocket for the apartment key, he attempted to find the keyhole with it. Once found the door unlocked and it was opened.

Sean immediately entered and locked the door after. He threw everything on the couch and hurried to the bathroom. He washed his hands trying to ignore how the soap burned them. Mark couldn't know.