Chapter 19: The New Guy

A/N: A very talented user by the name of @Aurica_Kosza made the wonderful cover you see above :)

Sean wasn't sure what ever happened to Mr. Morrison. He returned to school too late to hear any rumors and he didn't want to ask anyone for information. But he hoped he was alright. If anything ever happened to Mr. Morrison Sean wouldn't be able to forgive himself. But for now, Mr. Morrison's class was being held in another room with another teacher called Mr. Ash. He was a young British professor straight out of school that Sean didn't like very much. He wasn't sure what exact reason caused him to hate Mr. Ash. Maybe it was because of the way he held himself, or maybe it was because he was a little too friendly with Mark, whatever the reason Sean; just didn't like the guy.

When class was over, Sean began to put his stuff away. He heard someone walk up behind him. For a split second; he thought it was Sam, but he knew better. "Hey, Jack," Mark greeted with a friendly smile. "You ready to go?"

Sean stood up and slung his bag over his shoulder. Before he could say anything, someone interrupted him. An annoying someone, at that. "Ah, Mr. Fischbach, very nice to see you again," Mr. Ash addressed the student.

"Oh, yeah," Mark sounded surprised. "You too."

Sean frowned as Mr. Ash tried to continue the conversation. This man had no right to talk to Mark -- he wasn't even a student of his! Mark was only doing the polite thing, and responding to him. Right...? Sean frowned further. "Mark, we should really get going -- you have class in a few minutes." Sean didn't mean to raise his voice in anger. "You don't want to be late, do you?"

"O-oh, right," Mark stuttered. Sean clenched his jaw at the reaction. "Bye, Mr. Ash. We'll see you next week."

"I look forward to it."

Sean pretended he cared for a second and said a farewell to his professor. He almost had the urge to take Chica and run home. Yet he walked calmly with Mark as if Mr. Ash's very presence didn't bother him. Sean took in a calming breath and smiled, but it soon cracked. "Oh no..." He whispered and halted in his steps. "I forgot something in class."

Mark stopped walking as well. "What is it? I'll go get it for you."

"My stylus." Sean couldn't believe how careless he was. He just wanted to get out of class as soon as possible. "But you don't have to get it, I can. You can start heading to class and I'll --"

"Sean McLoughlin, I honestly can't trust you alone anymore," Mark was using that mom voice of his. "So I'll walk you home, go get it, bring it back to you, then go to class. I might be a minute late, but that's fine. C'mon, Jack."

Sean tried his best to protest, but it was to no avail. Mark was a determined mother as usual. Sean sighed in exasperation as Mark left to go get the forgotten stylus. "Do you think Mark likes Mr. Ash, Chica?" There was no response. "Yeah, me too." He sat down at the couch and turned on the TV to whatever Mark happened to be watching last. Sean only ever went near a TV or listened to a movie just to humor everyone else. He didn't have much interest because he couldn't experience it like other people could. He also found those voice over things annoying, so that wasn't an option. But on occasion, Sean did use the TV as background noise.

Eventually Mark came back (he was out a little too long for Sean's liking). Sean took a sip of water and held out his free hand in the direction of Mark. "Thanks, pal," Sean's voice was slightly laced with sarcasm and annoyance when Mark put the stylus in his hand. He hoped Mark didn't notice, but Mark didn't say anything. Sean sensed something was off with his friend. "You okay there?"

Mark was silent for a moment. "Y-yeah," he sounded unsure. "I just, uh, I just... Something kinda happened..." He paused -- almost hesitated. "I think Mr. Ash asked me out."

~~~

"On a date!" Sean practically screeched. He didn't care that the students in the class turned to him, he needed to express his dislike. "I can't fucking believe it! I-I just don't get it. I hate Mr. Ash so much." Sean slammed his fist on the table.

Cry sighed softly. It was almost as if he was disappointed. But with who -- Sean couldn't tell. After a few moments, the text-to-speech said, "Is he actually going on the date? Did he accept it?"

"I don't know." Sean put his head down on the table. "I was too shocked at the time to ask any of those questions. I really fucking hope he doesn't go, though."

"Why?"

Sean froze. Why didn't he want Mark to go? It was because he hated Mr. Ash, right? But why did he hate Mr. Ash? Well, because he... Sean took in a sharp breath -- as if he hurt himself. "I-I..." He lifted his head and turned toward Cry. "I think..." He stopped himself. No. No, it wasn't like that. Mark was simply his friend. Mr. Ash was just super cocky, and that's the only reason Sean hated him -- the only reason Sean let himself believe. "I just care about Mark a lot. I don't want him to get hurt because some teacher couldn't help himself."

Cry hummed. "Ask if he's going on that date. There's a chance he turned him down, right? There's no reason to get worked up over nothing. Smiley face."

Sean laughed at that added touch. He appreciated it. "I'll ask after class, then. You're probably right; I'm sure I'm just overreacting about it." Sean wasn't sure if he believed that, but he tried to. He hoped and prayed with all his might that Mark turned down Mr. Ash's offer. But deep down, he knew Mark hadn't.

A/N: Sorry for the delay and the short chapter! I was having some problems which then effected my writing, but it's all settled now. I hoped you enjoyed this one. Let me know what you think :D