Chapter 14: Forgotten Glass

A/N: HOLY FUCK. OVER 1K READS. OMFG I LOVE YOU GUYS!

Sean had spent a few days in the hospital to make sure everything was healing well. Cry only had to stay overnight due to his fractured fingers. Three fingers on the left hand, and his thumb and index finger on the right. He had to get a cast for his left,  but only splints for his right. He had a chipped tooth and his split lip looked nearly black because it was healing. Sean had a badly damaged nose (which wasn't actually broken in anyway, miraculously) severe blood loss, and in addition to his terrible black eye, one major stab wound and a few minor cuts. Whoever attacked them clearly meant business.

For the first night and part of the second day, Sean had felt weak. It was to be expected considering he was sent into hypovolemic shock after the loss of adrenaline (not to mention more than a fifth of his blood). So he had to be monitored closely and given a blood transfusion. And it was this reason that the doctor refused to let the police question him. Sean had trouble responding to Mark and the nurses; how could he talk to police? But they did eventually question him on the day of his final stay.

"I'm not sure who attacked us," Sean answered. He had just woke up so he wasn't fully aware yet. "It was two people, I know that. But I think Sam was behind it. He seems to really have it out for me."

Then they left. They thanked both Sean and Mark for the cooperation. Mark had a deep frown the whole time. Since Sean had been in the hospital, Mark tried to visit as often as he could in between classes and work. He did leave Chica, as promised though. When the police had fully exited the room, Mark put his hand in Sean's. It was a habit he started the first night Sean's stay began. Every time he did it, though, Sean's heart monitor would show the lines jumping up and pick up speed slightly. Mark never really thought about that much. "You think we'd know the police by name now," Mark commented.

"I know."

There was a silence in the conversation. The only thing making a sound was Sean's heart beat beeping a bit faster than normal. Mark would have to leave to go to class soon. "Is there a reason you prefer morning classes?" Sean asked honestly.

Mark shrugged, on instinct. Most people might think that after living with Sean for a couple of years, he would learn to stop using visual responses. They would be totally wrong. "I like having most of the day to do other things."

"Like play your nerd games?" Sean smirked as Mark gasped dramatically.

"Yes, of course," Mark responded calmly, making Sean shake his head in amusement. "What else am I supposed to do with my time?"

"You could pay attention to me." Sean lifted up their hands and then set them back down. "It's not like we've been living together for almost three years or anything."

"Nah, I'm sure I have more valuable things to do."

Sean took his hand away and crossed his arms. He pouted at Mark. "I thought you loved me, Mark." Then he pretended to weep.

Mark tried to keep in his laughter. "Jack, I'm afraid I have some news for you." Mark put his hand on Sean's shoulder and sighed -- as if he was about to reveal some heavy information. "I've actually been cheating on you the whole time."

Sean gasped and put a hand on his chest. "Mark! How could you?" He put his face in his hands and acted as if he was crying. "With who?"

"Chica."

Sean took his hands away from his face and gasped again. "I knew I shouldn't have let you convince me to get a dog." There was a small pause before the two erupted into laughter. Sean was glad they were able to joke around, even with the atrocities that trailed after them recently.

"Oh shit," Mark said suddenly. It startled Sean a bit. "I have to go. I'll be back to pick you up after class. Bye, Jack!" He grabbed his bag for school, then left.

Sean frowned slightly. He was to be released from the hospital when he had a ride later in the day -- AKA Mark. So Sean was going to be alone until then. Whenever Sean didn't have a visitor it was boring as all hell. He hoped someone would come to visit him. Even Mark's boss, Suzy, would be great. Suzy loved Sean. She thought of him as a son and even Arin liked him. Though it seemed like he was closer friends to Mark. Sean didn't mind; Mark was a very likable person, after all.

Time passed by rather slowly. It was certainly taking it's sweet, well, time. Sean dropped his hand off the side of the bed to pet Chica. The television was on, but he wasn't paying any attention to it. He was so bored. He couldn't get up with the heart monitor attached to him. "Do you have any ideas, Chica?" Sean asked his dog. There wasn't any verbal response. "Yeah me neither."

"Sean?" It was a woman's voice that Sean didn't recognize. He assumed it was a nurse or some form of staff. "There's a visitor for you. He says he's a close friend of yours, though this is the first time I've seen him."

Sean was curious. He didn't think twice to answer, "You can let him in."

The woman stepped away and someone's footsteps walked up to the bed. Sean felt Chica sit up at attention; which caused him to question who was there. "Hey, Jack," someone said in a voice that was a little too friendly. Upon hearing the voice, the monitor began to pick up speed. Sean tried to grab onto Chica's harness, but it was just out of his reach. If he wanted to grab it properly he would have to stretch. But he didn't want to catch Sam's attention. "How's my favorite play-thing doing?"

"W-what are you doing here?" Sean stuttered. At this point all he had was pure fear for Sam. He was absolutely psychotic, and that was putting it lightly. 

"I came to see how much damage was done to your cute little face." Sean felt a finger poke his nose. Chica did one of those quiet bark-growl things to show she did not like that one bit. "And I can say that I'm satisfied it landed you in the hospital. What did they do? They didn't give me very many details. Though I was there at the time. I was busy shedding light on things to one of your teachers."

Sean choked on his words. He didn't dare say anything. He didn't know what to do -- what was there to do? Sam would be able to see anything Sean would try to act on. Sam was right here, in Sean's hospital room, and he couldn't do a damn thing.

"But I didn't just come here for a pleasant chat." There was a smirk in his voice. "I came here to give you something. I'm sure you'll recognize it." Sam took one of Sean's trembling hands and put something in it. Sean moved his fingers over it. It felt kind of like... Sean had to get his other hand to make sure. He put his fingers on one of the elongated pieces and extended it, and then did the same with the other. They were glasses. Very familiar glasses, at that.

Sean held them in his hands, making sure the lenses weren't on his palms. He was afraid to ask, but he knew he had to -- he had to make sure. "Whose are these?" His voice came out at nearly a whisper. Sean already knew the answer. Yet he heard the heart monitor shoot up as Sam said,

"Mark's."