Chapter 25: Thin Line

A/N: Sorry for not updating. But 3k reads? Thank you! If you can come up with a better title for this chapter I'll give you a high-five.

Sean hardly felt safe anymore. He was back with Mark and their friendship was slowly patching itself, but all Sean felt was fear. It had only been a few days since Sam made his debut. Sean had thought about talking to the police, but even that made him afraid. Sam was clearly not happy about Lindsay giving away his face. Sean even called Lindsay as soon as he could just to make sure she was okay. She was fine and reassured him that Sam had not contacted her in any way. 

Sean was still mulling over whether or not to confront Felix about his dealings with Sam. He didn't tell Mark because he knew his friend would break down the door to Cry and Felix's apartment and demand answers. But eventually, Sean decided to ask Felix face-to-face one day. Sean requested that Felix meet him outside his class. Felix agreed and soon the two were seated at a nearby bench. "What's up?" Felix asked casually. He was so calm compared to Sean. "We hardly meet without Mark or Cry."

"I guess you're right." Sean tried to remain composed. He had been jittery and fidgety lately. He knew Mark noticed the sudden change. If Mark made any loud noises, Sean would always jump. He was constantly on edge. "But I have something rather important to talk about with you."

"Really? What is it?"

Sean hesitated for a moment. Was this something that was a good idea to do? Would he hurt Felix in the process due to a deal that was made with Sam? Would Mark get hurt because of Sean's own deal with Sam? There was no way to tell for sure, and it was too late to back out now. "I met with Sam the night I moved back in with Mark. He told me... some things."

He heard Felix sigh, but he couldn't decipher what it meant. "I didn't mean to. I was walking back to the apartment one day and he came up to me saying he needed to talk. I tried to decline, but he insisted. He told me that I needed to tell him anything that happened to you. I didn't want to -- I didn't even know who he was -- but he said that if I didn't he would make sure that the only time I'd get to see Cry was in a morgue." Felix paused for a moment. "Y-you're not mad at me are you? You understand, right?"

"Of course I do," Sean said silently. "I had the same choice." I just fucked it all up.

~~~

Sean barely got through the door when he heard Mark scream. It caused him to freeze, a million possibilities to running through his mind, but there was no cause for alarm. He heard Mark shout, "Wade that's not funny!" and assumed he was playing video games. Sean let out a sigh of relief. He really needed to calm down. He face-planted on the couch and groaned into the cushions. When did his life become such a mess? Only a few months ago was he laughing with Mark or talking with Cry. Now he was afraid to be in contact with anyone. All it took was one student to turn his life upside down.

Sam was just flat out terrifying. He was out to get Sean for one reason or another, and Sean hadn't done anything wrong. Taurtis had said that Sam's change was sudden and unlike him. So what caused him to change? The only person who could provide any form of an answer was missing -- possibly dead. Sean didn't know if the police had stopped searching for Taurtis. Did they stop searching for Sam? Sam never seemed to be caught whenever he was around. He was able to talk to Felix and Sean without so much as a suspicion. Sam was a mystery that no one had a solution to. If he had connections with Mr. Ash, could he possibly have connections in other places? Was there anybody else Sean knew that was in cahoots with Sam? "Fuck. Now I'm becoming paranoid," Sean said into the cushions.

"You're becoming what now?"

Sean nearly fell off the couch. He turned his head off the cushions. "Jesus, Mark. Don't do that." Sean flipped over. "I was just talking to myself. I thought you were playing games with your friends?"

Mark pat Sean's legs and Sean moved them. "Bob left about an hour ago and Wade kept scaring me, so I decided to call it quits for today. Well, until I go over to play with Cry and Felix." Sean could hear a warm smile. He really missed that. It took longer than he liked for Mark to smile genuinely again.

Since Sean's return, Mark started returning to his former self. He began eating again and going to bed at normal hours (though that took a while due to him being so used to sleeping at the break of dawn, practically). Sean couldn't see for himself the effects of Mark's actions, but he could assume it wasn't pleasant. "Can Cry even play with only one hand?" Sean asked.

"Not very well," Mark chuckled a bit. "He usually watches. He's pretty grumpy about it, actually. But we all have fun either way." He paused, as if considering something. "Hey, Jack, would you like to come? It'll be fun."

Sean was surprised by the offer. He never went due to the fact that he can't play video games. Or see. "Uh, I dunno. That doesn't really seem like a good idea. I mean, I can't --"

"You can just listen," Mark cut off Sean. He seemed eager to have Sean join them. "I'm sure Felix and Cry would love to have you around. We haven't all hung out in a while."

Sean rubbed his neck. One of the reasons he didn't want to go was because of the talk he had with Felix earlier. They both knew of the other's secret now. "I-I don't want to." He felt himself begin to tremble. "I-I --"

"Jack," Mark's voice came out pleading. "Please?  I really want you to be there. We can just -- you're shaking." He had put his hand on Sean's knee. Sean could hear the sudden change in Mark's voice from begging to worry. "What's wrong?"

Sean jerked his legs away and sat up. "Nothing. I just don't wanna go."

"Alright," Mark sounded unconvinced. "I won't force you to come. Just be safe, got it? If anything happens call me immediately." He got off the couch and Sean heard footsteps walking to the hall -- to his room, most likely.

Once he was sure Mark was gone, Sean threw his head back and sighed. He reached for Chica and tried to take calming breaths. There was nothing to get worked up about. Felix understands. Felix understands. Felix understands. Sean kept repeating that to himself in an attempt to remain calm. Brushing out Chica's fur with his fingers made him feel a bit better.

After a while, he could have sworn he heard Mark say something to him. Was that him saying he was leaving? His voice wasn't entering Sean's ears very clearly. He couldn't tell if he was dreaming. "Jack?" That came out clear. Mark was practically whispering into Sean's ear. Sean moved his head as an instinct to get away from the sudden assault on his ear. Other than that he didn't move or speak. He didn't have control of his body; it seemed like only his mind was awake. Mark let out a soft chuckle that caused goosebumps to run down Sean's back. "Sleep well, Jack." Sean felt a pair of lips on his forehead and then move away shortly after. The door opened and closed, signaling Mark had gone.

Sean felt a smile spread across his face.

A/N: Sorry again, guys. I have been so busy (not to mention stressed) and had an odd writer's block for this. Hopefully it's not obvious in the chapter. Let me know what you think! It's not the best, I know. But hopefully you were able to enjoy it. :)