Chapter 15: Lindsay

A/N: *EDIT* Okay so I published this yesterday but it didn't appear to go up? I don't know why but hopefully you can read it now.

The nurses and doctors ran down the hall. After a few days of a healthy heart beat, Sean's heart monitor showed a rapid rate increase in a short span of time. As the nurses barged in, Sam calmly walked out. He nodded at the receptionist, who was looking back worriedly toward Sean's room. When she looked back she saw Sam smirk. She instantly regretted letting him in. She searched through her computer for Sean's information. There was only one person who visited Sean regularly. The receptionist put in the number and hoped he would answer when she heard the tones.

"Hello?"

The receptionist nearly sighed from relief. "Hi, is this Mark Fischbach?"

"Yes it is. Is there a problem?"

The receptionist glanced back to Sean's room. It seemed that everything was normal now. A few nurses were leaving the room. "Uh, not with Sean. Anymore," she added the last word under her breath. "But I actually have some questions -- important questions. They might help a lot if I knew the answer. Can you come in anytime soon?"

There was a pause. "I'm in the middle of class right now. How important is this? And who even are you, by the way?"

"Lindsay Tuggey. I'm the receptionist here. You can stay in class, I know that's important. Just -- as soon as you get out, come here immediately. Please."

Mark agreed and the two hung up. Lindsay pursed her lips. She couldn't just sit here while she had possibly turned herself into a witness by letting that odd man in. She had to check in with Sean to make sure. But it was her job to stay at this desk. "Screw it," she said to herself after a while, and stood up. There were answers to be had somewhere.

When Lindsay walked into the room she saw a doctor and a nurse monitoring Sean. The nurse was talking calmly to Sean while the doctor made sure everything was all right. Lindsay stood at the doorway awkwardly. Should she speak up? This particular doctor was a bit of an asshole. If he saw she was not at her desk, he would throw a fit. But she hoped, with the severe state that Sean was in, that he would actually be considerate. "Excuse me?" The two medical professionals looked up. "Is everything alright in here? I have a few questions to ask Sean."

"Everything is fine, Ms. Tuggey," the doctor snapped. "Just a rapid increase in heart rate due to anxiety. Now what can be so important that you had to leave your post?" The nurse at Sean's side frowned deeply.

Lindsay frowned as well. "I'm afraid that's between me and Sean, doctor." She really hated him. He was brilliant, but he had almost no people skills. "If you don't mind."

The doctor scowled. "Very well. We're just about done here." He put Sean's clipboard of information back in it's respective spot and left the room without another word. But not before he exchanged a mutual hatred glance with Lindsay.

The nurse sighed and shook her head. "I assume you want to be alone with him?" She had a slight accent that was nearly gone from living here for so long, but Lindsay could never seem to tell where it was from. Lindsay nodded. The nurse pat Sean's arm and then walked up to Lindsay. She whispered, "Be careful with him." Then left with a small smile.

Lindsay nodded in understanding. She looked at Sean and tried to figure out how she should approach this. Sean's bruised face was streaked with tears. In fact, he was still crying. He clutched something close to his chest. Lindsay bit her lip and cautiously walked up to Sean. "Hey, Sean," she said quietly.

"You c-can call m-me Jack," Sean responded just as softly. Lindsay knew she had to take this slow. She didn't want to freak him out or anything.

"Right. Jack." Lindsay looked at the dog. She seemed to be looking at Lindsay with a curious pair of eyes. Lindsay returned the look. "Why don't we start by telling me who that man was? I know he wasn't your friend. He seemed a bit... strange, to be honest. I'm not sure why I let him in."

Sean was silent for a moment. "Sam. His name i-is Sam. He did this t-to me and my friend." Sean seemed to hold in a sob. His face changed from a pained expression to one of realization. "W-wait... y-you saw him. You know who he is! F-finally, someone who can g-give a description." He gave Lindsay a shaky smile.

"I'll help in any way I can." Lindsay returned the smile. But it slowly faded from her face. Now it was time for the second phase. "Can you tell me why he was here? If it's personal or something, I get it."

"N-no, it's fine. He, uh," Sean loosened his grip on whatever he was holding. After slight hesitation, he passed it to Lindsay. Lindsay recognized them as glasses. "He gave me those. They aren't mine, obviously."

"Whose are they?" Lindsay examined them. They were nice. The lenses had smudges on them from Sean grasping them so tightly. She refrained herself from cleaning them. That would be a little weird.

"M-my friend's -- Mark."

The name clicked instantly with Lindsay. "Fischbach?" Not once did Mark come in wearing glasses. "Why would Sam have these?"

"I-I don't know." Sean curled his hands around the bed sheet. "And I'm scared. Sam i-is crazy. I don't know what to think about this. I can only assume the worst."

Lindsay looked down at the glasses quizzically. There had to be a reason for this. "But I just called Mark. He didn't sound hurt or anything like that. He was still in class."

Sean loosened his grip on the sheet. "W-what? Still in class? B-but..." He furrowed his brows in confusion. "Why did Sam have his glasses? And why would he give them to me?"

"I asked Mark to come here after class," Lindsay said, still in thought. "We can ask about what he knows when he gets here. Maybe things will make sense when he tells us."

"Yeah..." Sean paused. "Can you clean the glasses, please? If you don't mind."

Lindsay smiled. "Anything to help."

~~~

During Lindsay's lunch break, Mark arrived. She practically dragged him into Sean's room as fast as she could. Sean was happily munching on the lunch Lindsay shared with him when they entered. When Lindsay's lunch break started, she sat in Sean's room. Lindsay gave him half her lunch and they chatted pleasantly while they waited for Mark. "Hey Jack," Mark greeted calmly.

"Mark!" Sean threw his arms out like a child. In one hand he held half a sandwich. "You have no idea what I've been through, you fucking come and give me a hug right now."

Lindsay grinned widely underneath her hand. It was too cute to not smile at. Sean refused to let go of Mark and Mark couldn't help but laugh. "Jack, please, I was told to be here for something important."

"Yeah, me!" Sean let go of Mark. He put the sandwich in his mouth and put his hands on his hips. He said some things that were blocked by the sandwich.

Mark rolled his eyes and looked to Lindsay. "So why am I here? Besides for Jack or something." Sean huffed and crossed his arms at that comment. Mark smirked.

Lindsay explained everything while Sean filled in the blanks of what happened to him. Lindsay pretended to not see Mark slip his hand into Sean's. And she tried to suppress a smile when she noticed Sean's heart monitor show a slight heart rate increase. When the story was over, Lindsay handed Mark's glasses to him. Mark frowned at them. "I lost these. The day after Felix and I took you guys to the hospital, I went back to where I left them, but they were gone."

A/N: This is a good place to stop, right? It's spring break for me guys! :D I stayed up until 3 yesterday so I was super tired today. It's midnight already so after I edit this I'm gonna go the fuck to sleep.