Chapter 2: Silent Words

Sean was laying on the couch listening to music when Mark walked in. He waved to his friend as he locked the door. Mark's smile faded slowly and his lips moved but Sean couldn't hear what was said. Mark walked up to Sean and pat him on the leg. Sean moved so Mark could sit and his hand trailed the chord of his ear buds to find the pause button. "What's up?"

"I asked what happened to your hand." Mark sat on the couch beside Sean's feet. "It looked like you scraped it on something."

Sean internally cursed at himself. He didn't think about finding a bandage. "Uh, I-I just fell against the wall."

He heard Mark exhale through his nose. He was very familiar with what that meant. It was a rather motherly thing to do. "Are you lying to me, Sean?" Sean could have sworn his mother was right where Mark should be sitting. "I won't be mad at you if you are I just -"

"Oh my God, Mum, calm down," Sean threw his arms up in exasperation. "I'm not lying to you - hey!" Sean felt his arms get grabbed and yanked toward Mark. "M-Mark!"

"Both your hands are like this." Mark poked at Sean's palms but careful to avoid hitting the scrapes. "What really happened to you, Sean?"

Sean squirmed in his seat. He hated being referred to as Sean; especially by his best friend. But he knew Mark was being serious. "I-I just..." Sean couldn't form the words Mark wanted to hear. He couldn't know what happened. Not after class, not walking home from school, nothing. Sean yanked back his hands which surprised both men. They both knew Mark was the stronger of the two. "I'm not lying to you, Mark."

Mark absolutely did not believe a word of that. But he dropped the subject to be picked up another time. "I'll go make lunch, then. What do you want?" Mark pushed himself up using one of Sean's knees.

Sean bit his lip to stop any noise of pain coming out. Even through his jeans his knees got jacked up when he fell. "J-just whatever you feel like having." Sean heard his voice come out pinched and restricted. He cleared his throat. "Uh, I'm not all that hungry."

Mark quirked his eyebrow but said nothing. When Sean heard Mark's footsteps in the kitchen he let out a silent sigh of relief. He pressed the button on his ear buds and continued to listen to music.

~~~

Sean awoke with a start. He wasn't sure if Mark shaking him was what did it or if it was his phone falling to the floor and yanking out his ear buds from his ears. Sean's speech came out slurred and confused. Mark laughed. "Wake up, buddy. You got class in twenty minutes."

"I got what?" Sean shook his head slightly to wake up. "What time is it? Did I fall asleep?"

"You fell asleep about an hour ago." Mark picked up Sean's phone from the floor. When he checked the time on it he made sure to pause the music. "It's almost 1:30."

Sean threw his head back against the couch and sighed. "Can't I just skip class today and go back to sleep?"

"Nope." Mark grabbed onto Sean's wrists and began pulling him into a sitting position. Sean whined but didn't protest. He turned his head to Mark and pouted. Mark chuckled and ruffled his friend's hair. "Up and at 'em, Jackie." When Mark saw that Sean wasn't making any effort to move, he took it upon himself to move the lazy student. He grabbed Sean's legs and moved them off the couch and then he pulled on Sean's arms to get him to stand up. Sean whined again but remained standing.

Mark put Sean's phone in his hand. "I'll go get your stuff." 

Sean unplugged his ear buds and slid his phone into his pocket. When Mark came back he handed Sean his backpack and white cane. "I'll see you later, Mark." But as Sean turned Mark put a hand on his shoulder to stop him from leaving.

"You're not going anywhere without me, mister."

"What? Why? You don't have anymore classes today."

Mark began guiding Sean to the door. "I just wanna make sure you get to school safely. Is that a crime?" Sean began sputtering in his attempt to find a reason why Mark could stay home. But his attempts failed when he heard the door open. Instead he decided to sigh and wait for Mark to lock the door.

As much as he would hate to admit it, Sean actually liked walking with Mark. He just didn't like it when Mark implied it was for helping. He could take care of himself even with the major setback of lacking sight. Mark was a good friend, but he sure could be oblivious to Sean's constant want to do things by himself. Once in a while Sean found it a little annoying. He always thought about talking to Mark about it but the idea of hurting his feelings always stopped him from acting on it. 

While they walked Mark started to talk about that game again. Sean smiled to himself. He could always hear how happy Mark got when he talked about certain games. Mark being happy always made Sean happy. 

They entered a classroom. "I'll see you in a few hours, Jack." Sean heard a small smile. Sean grinned back in response. When Mark's footsteps walked out another familiar pair of feet walked in. The feet took the seat next to Sean. Sean heard the person slide a paper over to him. He felt the all-too-familiar phrase bump out under his fingers and he turned his head to the person and smiled broadly. "How's it goin', Cry?"

Cry and Sean got along surprisingly well. Considering Cry was a mute who communicated through sign language - which obviously  includes sight as a major factor in communication - the two carried out pleasant conversations. Sean had to teach Cry braille in order for them to talk whenever Mark or Felix weren't around and in return Cry tried to teach Sean sign language. It was an ongoing process but Sean appreciated the thought.

Sean heard Cry take out another piece of paper and the sounds of dots being punched on said parchment. Cry slid the paper over. Sean's fingers glided over the page to read Cry's words. "I've been having a pretty good day so far. How've you been?"

Sean sighed and debated telling Cry the things that happened. He knew Cry wouldn't tell Mark if he asked. That's what made Cry a good friend to vent to. "I... Can you promise not to tell Mark? I really don't want him to worry." Cry grabbed Sean's hand and turned it over. Sean heard Cry make a small gasp. Yet Cry brought his finger to Sean's palm and wrote an 'x' on it. That was to show that he promised. "Okay, well, in Mr. Morrison's class today someone kicked me over when I was trying to pick up my white cane and when I was walking home someone was running toward me and pushed me down."

The paper moved and the punching noises were heard again. Sean read what was on it when Cry handed it back. "It sounds like someone is deliberately seeking to hurt you. Did you recognize who they were?"

"No," Sean sighed. "It's times like these where I really wish I could see. And that I'm really glad you're not deaf."

Cry made a noise that Sean knew was meant to be laughter. That made Sean smiled a bit. Even if it sounded like wheezing most of the time, Cry's laugh could really cheer anyone up. Before either of the two could start speaking again, the professor began the lecture.