Chapter 30: One Last Kiss

A/N: I really enjoyed all the comments last chapter. Thank you :)

Sean woke up in a state of panic. It took a moment to realize he was in his room. Did he fall asleep in here? He couldn't remember. All he could think about was his dream. There were such awful sounds; and it was cold as well. As Sean felt around his bed for his phone, he realized that he might have been thrashing around while he was sleeping. His covers were tangled around his legs. "Where did I put my phone?" He mumbled to himself. It wasn't anywhere on the bed, or even on the nightstand. Sean groaned and attempted to de-tangle himself from the blanket. It was a difficult task, but it was accomplished nonetheless.

The carpet was fuzzy under Sean's bare feet. Ever since he was little, he got into the habit of dragging his feet around the house. It was a precautionary measure for himself, since he didn't like walking around the house with his white cane. Having Chica didn't appear to change his habit, though. Nevertheless, she still followed him around like a service dog should. As Sean leaned against the door frame, he heard Chica shake herself. He smiled a bit, but he found it fading when he heard something else. There were voices whispering to one another -- Sean knew both of them. He didn't feel like he was intruding as he listened in to the conversation.

"You need to get out of here." That was Mark. He didn't sound to pleased.

Mr. Ash sighed. "I just wanted to see if you were okay."

"Of course I am. Why wouldn't I be?"

"Because..." Sean felt himself unconsciously lean closer to the conversation. "Never mind that. I'm just glad you're alright. I've missed you."

"Well I haven't missed you." Mark's voice was cold. Sean never knew Mark could have such a venomous tone. "Now leave." Sean could hear the door trying to be closed, but then stopped by something.

"I can't do that, Mark."

"I don't want anything to do with you," Mark practically growled. "I made that mistake once, I can't afford to do it again."

"So you're saying the time you spent with me was a mistake?" There was some hurt in Mr. Ash's words.

Mark answered without hesitation, "Yes. Now get the hell out of my apartment." Sean heard Mark try to close the door again, only to be stopped once more.

"I don't think that way, Mark."

Mark gave an annoyed sigh. "Look, Mr. Ash, I -- mph!" Sean's brows knitted together. Did Mark get cut off by Mr. Ash? It sounded like someone covered his mouth. Sean was about to investigate when a sound startled him. The sound of skin hitting skin. Someone got slapped. Sean really hoped it wasn't Mark. "Stop it!" Sean noted a hint of desperation in Mark's plea. "I never want to see you again!" This time the door slammed.

Sean stood there in shock. What was all that about? He didn't move until he heard Mark sobbing. Chica followed obediently to the living room. "Ah," Mark sounded startled. "J-Jack. I... did I wake you up? Sorry, just, uh —"

"I heard Mr. Ash," Sean stated bluntly. "What happened?"

Mark's breath hitched. "N-nothing, Jack. He just, uh, s-stopped by to see how we were doing. He noticed how w-we had been acting lately. I-I told him everything was fine and he left."

"Mark," Sean suddenly realized how easy it was to slip into a mom voice. "I heard just about everything. Trying to lie to me won't do you any good."

"I... I don't know why he came," there was a heavy frown. "H-he said he needed to know if I was alright for some reason. I tried to get him to go away, but he wouldn't budge. Then he... h-he kissed me. H-he tried to hold onto me, but I hit him. And that was that."