Chapter 8: Make no Mistake

A/N: OMFG. ALMOST 300 READS! I'm so happy. I would definitely appreciate more comments though ;) **EDIT: For fooks sake. I APOLOGIZE FOR FORGETTING ABOUT THE CHAPTER TITLE AGAIN.**

Sean sat there absolutely terrified. He heard footsteps creak closer and Chica's barking get louder. Chica wasn't trained to attack -- no service dog is -- only to intimidate and alert. She was trying her best to do both. Eventually Sean regained some sense and scrambled for his phone. Once in his hand he tried to unlock it as fast as he could. The only person he could think of was Mark. Sean brought the phone up to his ear and heard the agonizing monotone of the call trying to go through. Through Chica's barks, the floorboard creaked right at the doorway. Sean froze and silently prayed for Mark to pick up.

The footsteps inched closer and the bed dipped.

"Hello?"

Sean could hear the person's laugh come out silently; like it was only air escaping. Other than Chica's determined barking everything was silent. Sean could only assume the intruder heard Mark's voice. "Why don't you hang up the phone, Jack?" The person said quietly. Any sound Sean might have come up with got caught in his throat. That was Sam's voice.

"Hello? Jack? Are you there? Is something wrong?"

The bed moved a bit with Sam's silent laughter. Sean's hand began to shake and all he could do was hold the phone. He heard Mark's concern grow and he began to question why Chica was barking. Sean flinched when he felt fingers graze his hand and snatch the phone. Sam hung up on Mark.

"Now," Sam sounded totally calm. It was like he didn't have a care in the world. "I obviously didn't come here for a visit -- I doubt you would even want to now that you know I was the one that did those things to you. So, I came here to send a message." The bed sunk below Sam's weight as he leaned closer to Sean. He whispered just loud enough to be heard over Chica's barking, yet quiet enough to be intimidating, "I will make your life a living hell. You think your stupid dog can stop this? You think Mark can save you? No one can. If you even try to get help I'll make sure that boy toy of yours never walks again."

The way Sam said Mark's name made Sean frightened and angry at the same time. How he knew about Mark, he didn't question, but he mustered up enough courage to ask, "W-why are you doing this?"

Sean could hear the smirk in Sam's voice as he responded, "Because I can." The bed was relieved of an extra body and Sean knew Sam was going to leave. That thought didn't sooth his anxiety in the slightest.

"What did you do to Taurtis?" Sean blurted out before he was able to stop himself. He just wanted to know. "He said he was your friend. What did you do to him? All he wanted to do was help."

"That was his problem," Sam growled. "Don't ever call him Taurtis. Ever."

He heard Sam leave before more questions could be asked. When the door slammed Chica still continued to bark. Sean sighed. Not in relief, but because it was the only thing he could do. He called Chica's name and the barking ceased. She ran into Sean's room and jumped on his bed. Sean practically held onto her for dear life. What was he supposed to do?

~~~

Mark tried his best to keep everything in the grocery bag as he ran down the street. The people that were peacefully walking stared at him strangely as he zipped by. He had a great cause for concern that none of those people needed to know. When he reached the apartment he slowed up speed a bit as to not slam into the door. As he brought out his keys the next door apartment's door opened.

"Oh, hey, Mark," the neighbor greeted as Mark put the key in the lock.

Mark gave a noise of acknowledgement. He paused in his rush when he realized the door wasn't locked. He could have sworn he locked it before he left. The neighbor spoke again as Mark stared at the door in bewilderment. "Your dog was kinda going crazy while you were gone. I wasn't really sure what to do. I thought about going over to see if anything was up, but I had to go pick up Holly. I was just -- you okay there, Mark?"

Mark had turned his bewilderment from the door to his neighbor. "What did you say? The dog was going crazy?"

Ross nodded. "Yeah, she was barking nonstop for a while." He fiddled with his keys. "Is everything alright? Should I have gone to check up on Jack?"

"I'll let you know." Mark pushed the door open and ran inside. He tossed the grocery bag on the couch and ran straight to Sean's room and found him clutching onto Chica. "Jack!"

Sean's head flew up and he only smiled out of relief. Mark rushed over to the bed. "What happened? You didn't talk to me when you called and I heard Chica through the phone, and Ross told me she was barking for a while. Are you okay?" Mark's eyes scanned for any physical injuries. Much to his relief, he found none. "Why did you call?"

"I..." Sean hesitated. "It was an accident. I wasn't paying attention. Chica had distracted me; she was barking at something outside the window, I think. I couldn't exactly see it, y'know. But whatever it was eventually left."

This answer seemed to satisfy Mark. The comfort of Sean being okay completely blinded him from the fact he found the door unlocked. "Okay, well, don't scare me like that again. I threw your soup in the living room, c'mon, I'll make it for you."

Sean smiled a bit. Mark waited for him to get off the bed and then lead the way out. Behind his back, he couldn't see Sean's smile turn into a deep frown.

-------------

The next day Sean felt a little better. He was able to roll out of bed and get ready just in time to walk to school with Mark. Chica happily lead him down the sidewalk. When Mark started talking about the ending of Firewatch Sean began to zone out. All he could think of was yesterday with Sam. He said that he would make life a living hell... but how? There was a part of Sean's morbid curiosity that couldn't wait to find out -- almost eager to see what would happen. And the other, more logical, part of him knew whatever awaited him would not be good. He both dreaded and eagerly waited for Sam to act.

"Jack, are you okay?"

Sean snapped out of his thoughts at the sound of Mark's voice. He smelled the familiar sent of Mr. Morrison's classroom. To him it smelled warm; it was like toffee or freshly-brewed hot chocolate. He didn't realize they had gotten there already. "What? Oh, I'm fine."

"I hope you gentlemen are doing well today," Mr. Morrison greeted with a gentle smile as he walked up to the two. "Oh and who is this? Did you get a new friend?"

Mr. Morrison distracted Sean from his terrible thoughts. He instantly brightened up. "I forgot I haven't seen you since we got her. Her name's Chica. She's my guide dog."

"Aren't you a cutie?" Sean could tell Mr. Morrison was petting her. Like all dogs, Chica loved attention. And Sean could only assume Chica soaked up every second of it.

Mark chuckled a bit. Sean turned his head and grinned broadly at Mark. Obviously Sean couldn't see it or sense it in anyway, but Mark's cheeks held a slight tint of pink. Flustered, he stuttered as he said, "W-well I should get going. Uh, I-I'll see you after class." He gave a slight nod to Mr. Morrison and left as fast as he could without seeming suspicious. He bumped into someone who was coming in. "S-sorry," he apologized quietly.

Upon hearing the reply Sean froze and his smile slowly faded. "Oh, it was my mistake." That calm voice -- scratchy and full of arrogance. Chica growled and Sean lightly tapped her as to not arise suspicion in anyone. He heard Mr. Morrison greet the voice as it sat down next to Sean. "You have a nice dog there, Jack," Sam said with a wide grin.

A/N: Sorry for the lack of update. I had a rather busy week and I tried to make this chapter as long as I could.