Chapter 10: A View to a Crime

Cry definitely wasn't born mute. In fact, when he became mute he was outraged. He lost the thing people had adored most about him. But in some ways it helped him out. He began to convey his feelings better, he could communicate to his friends across the room, and people wouldn't bother him because most assumed he was deaf. There were certain times, even now after a few years, that Cry tried to use his voice. If he got excited or worked up in anyway he would instinctively try to shout. Obviously nothing came out except choked up noises.

So as Cry stood there in shocked horror, his instinct was to scream. Yet that part of him that knew didn't even let him make a sound. He stayed there completely immobile. What was there to do?

When Cry had opened the door to his apartment there was a dead rabbit. It was a white rabbit with its belly split open and its insides staining the carpet. The stench was horrible. Cry wondered how long it had been there and why. He didn't want to go inside, let alone just stare at it with a million questions. But Felix wouldn't come home until almost five that day. There had to be something done.

Cry closed the door and stared at it in perplexed wonder. There was loud laughter echoing down below him. He ran up to the railing and peered over. It was Mark and Sean. He squeaked and immediately ran down the stairs to the floor below. As soon as Mark was about to walk inside, Cry took hold of his arm.

"Huh?" Mark looked at Cry. "What is it, Cry?" It was then that Cry started moving his hands at an incredible speed; a speed that was urgent and obviously being formed by an expert. "Whoa, whoa, wait a minute. I can't -- Cry! Slow down, man."

Cry's eyes began to water, but he managed to slow down enough for Mark to understand. At that point Sean had joined them with Chica sitting patiently beside him. Mark's eyes widened. "Oh my God."

"What?" Sean felt left out. It sounded important but he couldn't see the story. "What's happening?"

"Cry found a dead rabbit in his apartment."

The three students walked up the stairs to the second floor. Cry opened the door and stepped aside for Mark to see. Sean gagged and covered his mouth and nose while Mark stared at it with wide eyes. "That smells fuckin' awful," Sean's voice came out muffled. "What are we supposed to do with that?" He coughed and turned away from the door. He was determined to not throw up.

"I-I don't know," Mark responded. He had never seen a dead anything before. "We can call the police, right? That's something we can do?"

Cry's hands began moving, "That seems to be our only option."

Mark, being the only one able to speak, brought out his phone. He rubbed Sean's back as he bent over and lost the contents of his stomach. As the operator picked up, Mark looked at Cry to make sure he was okay. He was staring at the rabbit with an intense gaze. He must be terrified. Mark sighed and explained everything to the woman on the line. She asked for an address and apartment number to which Mark responded appropriately. "Thank you. " He returned his phone to his pocket. "They'll be here shortly."

"Oh God," Sean gagged again. "Close the door! I can't take --" His insides cut him off.

Mark continued to rub Sean's back in an attempt to sooth him. Cry gladly closed the door, but he still felt uneasy and the smell didn't go away immediately. He walked over to Mark and Sean. Mark smiled at Cry reassuringly while Sean hacked and coughed. Cry signed his apologies.

"For what?" Mark frowned at the tears streaming down Sean's face. "You haven't done anything wrong, Cry." Cry motioned toward Sean who was sniveling. Mark pat his back. "You're fine, bud. And you didn't cause that, Cry. He just has heightened senses."

"Which fucking sucks," Sean grumbled. He stood up and wiped his face. "That smelled so bad. How long has it been there?"

Cry shrugged.

~~~

The police arrived in no time. Cry showed them the dead animal to which Sean began gagging again. The two police men were visibly shocked and disgusted. They asked if Cry had any enemies or people who disliked him. Mark said that Cry was a nice person and anyone who met him loved him instantly. Sean had to leave because the smell was getting to him again. "I'll meet you down when we're done here," Mark said.

Sean didn't respond for fear of throwing up, instead he just nodded. He headed down the stairs and took a deep, cleansing breath. It smelled better, though death still lingered. Sean leaned against their apartment door. The hair on the back of his neck stood on end. There was a voice, "How did your friend enjoy that present?"

Sean refused to believe what he was hearing. Sam couldn't be here. He couldn't. "Y-you did that? You killed a rabbit?" This man was a total psychopath.

Sam laughed. "Did you not realize it? You failed my test. It may not have happened to you directly, but it effected your friend and in turn you. One way to hurt a man is through the things he loves."

Sean's breath hitched. He really was a psycho. What kind of person does this? "Why? What have I ever done to you?"

Sean felt hands on his shoulders. They squeezed him tightly. "I'm just the worst kind of person." Shivers were sent down Sean's spine. Sam's voice was right by his ear. A low chuckle and then there were steps walking away. Sean waited until he thought Sam was gone. He launched himself toward the staircase and ran as fast as he could. "It's Sam!" Sean practically screeched. "Sam did it." He didn't feel he was doing a bad thing by telling the police Sam was still around.

A/N: Sorry about not updating. I just had a super busy and stressful week. Tell me what you thought of this! I really like comments, you guys.