A Brief Moment

We were never meant to be, yet here we are. The world threw every possible curveball at us in an attempt to tear us apart but we just kept hitting home runs. You are steady like the oak tree, but I tremble in the wind like a young sapling. You smile like there will never be a cloudy day, and the frown on my face reminds me of when the storms come our way. Those hands of you are smooth like the hands of a lover when they run across my skin. Can you feel how my hands are rough from the way I hold onto this rope too tightly? Can you feel how they are cracked from the work of keeping myself together?

We were never meant to be, yet here we are. You are confident, hungry for more, and desperate to keep moving. I am self-conscious in the worst possible way, eager to stay still, and clinging the past. You are everything I am not, and I cannot help but remind myself that I will never be what you need. I can never face this world at your side because I am easily broken. Those dragons you are fighting so bravely terrify me until I am trembling in this dark, cold room. You're smile can light up the world, but you stay with me in these caged walls.

I want you to know that it is okay. That I know one day you will open your eyes and see everything you are missing, but baby, I hope you know that no matter what happens my loving you has never meant to be a noose. When you wake and realize you need to go, then please remember that my time with you has left me filled with so much love that I may burst. When you walk out of my door and never come home again, don't let this life with me damper that heart warming smile.

Even if we don't last, we were never meant to be yet we were. For a brief moment in history, we beat all the odds and we conquered when others believed we would fail.