Chapter 12: The Boss

I don't know how long we had been walking, but I had pulled Lewis into an alleyway after it started to down poor, both of our hair sticking to us like glue. After I found a shaded spot from the rain, I pulled Lewis in, who shook his head back and forth, water running down his face as he looked at me, and I just realized the colors of his eyes.

"Sorry about this." I mumbled, dropping the chain from my hand and let it hit the ground, Lewis looking down at it before he looked at me.

"Why are you helping me?" He asked, looking around, before his eyes that had mixed emotions looked right at me.

Placing my hand on the wall, I looked down. "I was kinda in the same spot you were before other things took place, I would of tried to free the others, but I couldn't." I said looking as he looked at the shackles around his wrists.

"W porządku." He mumbled, his tongue letting the words slide out making me look at him confused.

He saw my confused face and laughed a little. "It's fine." He said looking at me.

I just smiled a little until I grabbed at my ear, a loud noise coming through before it died off, static through. "Skyle-this-Joseph-where-you-are-" I couldn't even make out half of the words he was saying as the static seem to cut him off on everything.

"Joseph?" I said, pressing my hand to my ear seeing Lewis lean against the wall, kicking at rocks.

"Sky-" Man, this static was being a pain.

"Joseph, I can't understand you!" I yelled and Lewis looked at me, his still chain wrists resting in front of him.

"Where-are-you?" His voice came through.

"Some alleyway. I have a boy with me." I said and Joesph didn't answer.

"Joseph? Joseph!" I yelled.

Silence.

I growled as I removed my hand from ear and looked back at Lewis to see that he was looking towards the road, before he looked back at me.

"Looks like we're on our own." He smiled a little.

I hated it on how he was right.

Deadlock's POV

Deadlock went poking through the files, reading everything over and over again, trying to see which two he wanted to go after. Everything was the same, boy after boy, he wanted to have fun with a girl, boy's were more of a pain and he loved watching the girls whimper, it meet he could sweet talk them, which he loved doing. Just as he went to turn the page, his head went up to a loud knock on the door, the girl's voice calling to him.

"I got it, sir!" She called as Deadlock just smiled as he returned to his peaceful hunt, only for that to end with the sound of clicking heels.

"Donavan!" A woman's voice shouted and Deadlock let out whistle, telling her where he was. He was not prepared for what entered through the door. His boss.

But she was dressed in full black, her blond hair pulled into a bun, her bangs curled and hanging at her sides, he smiled, raising a brow. "What did I miss? A satan party?" He chuckled to himself, looking up to see that fire was burning in her eyes.

"Day, you're lucky I'm not in a bad mood." She hissed as she made her way over to him.

"When are you never?" He mumbled to himself, his eyes landing on a name that made him freeze in place.

"What was that you said?" She demanded, walking over to him, her heels getting louder.

"Nice dress." He mumbled as he sat forward, looking at the name.

"Skyler Oaks." He said, letting the name roll from his tongue.

Why did the name sound so knowable?

"Day!" The women yelled, snapping her fingers in front of his face, making him jump.

"Woman!" He yelled as he got up and set the folder onto the desk, looking at his boss who had her arms crossed over her chest.

"I heard you made a deal with Mr. Hill." She said, spitting his name out like it was venomous.

"And if I did?" He said, arching an eyebrow at her, making her growl at him.

He smiled. Oh, how he loved pushing her buttons.

"You know I don't trust that man." She said softly, seeing he was just playing with her.

"I know, but this deal you're going to love." He said smiling.

"If I can catch two of his runaway slaves, he's going to pay me- I mean us, triple on what he was for his son." He said and he saw the women's eyes so dark.

"Which ones?" She asked, moving over to him slower, and he opened the folder to show her.

"Most of these aren't his but I looked at this one, Will Bower." He said, watching as she slid the folder in her hands.

"Who else?" She asked, looking at him.

"I saw this one, Skyler- Skyler Oaks." He said finding the picture of the young slave, her name still bugging him. He saw the woman's hands tighten around the paper, her knuckles going white.

"She has a 15 year old brother." She mumbled and Deadlock looked at her like she had lost her mind.

"I read nothing of a brother, how could you know?" He asked and she looked at him.

"Because I do." She said, slamming the folder onto the desk, biting her tongue.

"Plus, she has a large star-" the women raised her hand to hush him.

"Who are you going for first?" She asked.

He rubbed his chin. "The boy, he lives by himself, right by a store so he might be easy to snatch first, no one to stop me." He said looking at the boy's picture. The women closed her eyes for a second before opening them.

"I have three men sent here to help."

"Help?" I don't need help." He fired back.

"Oh, yes you do. I'm still covering your tracks from the courtroom and we don't need any more blood on our hands, three men, that's all. 24 hours. You get the boy, then you snatch the girl, then you're right back here." She said pointing at the ground. Deadlock growled.

"Fine. But you need to watch the girl then." He said the women cursed.

"Just chain her to the bed or something."

"No, I need you to take her back to Dr. Williams." He said.

"And why?"

"She asked about her name two weeks ago, I slapped her and told her to never ask the name again, but I've seen her go through my room and try to find answers, Dr. Williams needs to know." He said looking towards the door.

"Fine, but I don't know if she can do much, the girl's memory is going to try to fight back, you know that."

"Yes, but I can't let it to where she's getting nightmare flashbacks and the next thing I know, I'll have a knife to my throat, her hand all over it." He said looking at the women and mumbled.

"Fine, fine. I'll take her to get checked out, I'll call the men and have them meet with you. Remember, stay hidden. One more slip and I wouldn't be able to save your butt." She said, looking at the picture of the girl one last time, something showing in her eyes before it disappeared and she walked out of the room. Deadlock hearing her call for the girl as he got himself ready for another kidnapping.