Chapter 29: Thorn

Watching the rain fall was quiet, calming, then again, anything that a normal person would find boring I found comforting. I had woken up before everyone, my eyes a little red from tears, looking around the room, I saw that South had left the key next to his mat so I took it and unlocked my ankle chain. I now sat at the window in the kitchen, my eyes glancing above wearily towards the dark cluster of clouds hanging above, the sun held captive behind them, its ray of light invisible. Bring my knees up, I rested my head on my knees, feeling another line of tears fall, I wanted to fall back asleep but my dreams played with me, leaving me to wake up sobbing. It was nearly impossible to tell the time, with no clocks in the house, and the sun being held captive, I could only guess was it was early, everything seemed dead, the forest outside that surround us seemed to be dark, the large trees hiding everything else within it.

As I had my eyes focused forward, I notice a figure walking towards the house. Slowly, I lowered my feet to the wood flooring, leaning forward to see if the figure was getting closer or if my eyes were just playing tricks with me. But as I watched it more, I saw it was really someone, and they were making a beeline for here. I could only watch as the figure got closer, the mud behind them showing faint footprints. As I watched the footprints continue showing, I quickly looked towards the door when I heard the doorknob jiggling back and forth for a second before it stopped.

Slowly, I stood up, moving slowly across the floor with my bare feet. As I slowly pressed the palm of my hand on the side of the wall, the figure moved in front of me, causing me to jump, a scream escaping my mouth as I fall back, landing on my back. Seeing the figure jump themselves, before they pulled something from their side, pointing it at me as they moved back, hitting the wall with their free hand before they found the lights, the kitchen lighting up as I finally met eye contact with the person.

"What the heck?!" The person said, keeping the-the-oh crap.

Resting right in the person's hand was a black pistol, pointed right at me as I sat on the floor, paralyzed in fear. Dressed in loose black jeans and a navy blue shirt, stood a boy with wet blonde hair, his blue eyes locked on me, the gun in his hand not even moving as he kept it on me.

"Who the heck are you!?' He whispered loudly, causing me to close my eyes and look away, the pain in my right arm taking place, I was trying so hard to fight the tears.

"I asked, Who. The. Heck. Are. You!?' He said a little louder, his eyes dark as a I swallowed.

"S-Skyler-r." I whispered out lightly, the first line of tears falling.

The pounding of footprints caused the boy to glance into the other room, a voice speaking up. "What the heck is- Chase?" The voice said, the boy keeping his gun still locked on me as he moved a little, his head turned away.

When I moved my eyes to look at the kitchen entrance, my heart stopped as I saw it was Mr. Hill, his eyes full of confusion as he came into the kitchen half way, before stopping in his tracks, his eyes on me.

"Dad, who is this?" The boy said, letting out a heavy breath, not lowering his gun, Hill still looking at me.

"She's one of my slaves." He mumbled, turning his head towards the boy.

"Keene!" Hill called, the boy, or Chase, slowly lowering the gun as Keene came into view.

"Please take Miss Oaks back upstairs with the others and lock her back up, I'll talk with her later." He said lightly, a hint of anger specking.