Chapter 28: His touch

"Lane himself lit a cigarette as the train pulled in. Then, like so many people, who, perhaps, ought to be issued only a very probational pass to meet trains, he tried to empty his face of all expression that might, quite simply, perhaps even beautifully, reveal how he felt about the arrival of the person."

Was what I was reading form Franny and Zoe, stacks of organized books towering over me as I went to turn the page, but stopped when a knock on the wood made me pause, glancing behind me to see Heath standing by the door way, something in his hands as he looked around, most likely looking for me.

"Right here, Heath." I spoke, setting the book down and standing up, seeing Heath turn his head towards my direction, his eyes looking at the tower of books.

"Well," He spoke lightly, looking around. "You look like your having a lot of fun." His eyes kept looking around, but his feet staying glued in place before he looked back at me.

"Um, Hill said to bring you this." He said, reaching out and placing the object in my hands, my stomach flipping when I saw what it was.

"Tell-him-thanks?" I said, looking at the food. I wouldn't even call it food, whatever it was.

He let out a laugh, his eyes lightly up a little as he just shook his head, before walking around me and picking up one of the books, his eyes looking over it. "How do you do this?" He said, setting the book down, looking over at me as I looked at him confused.

"Do what?" I said, cocking a eyebrow.

"Organize books. I would be here for ages having to repeat the ABC's for each book." He said, looking over at me as I snorted, shaking my head.

"It's actually quite calming." I said, watching as he scrunched up his face.

"You? Skyler Oaks, a book girl? I'm shocked, I took you as a phone girl." He said, his lips curling into a sly smile.

"Always been one." I said shrugging, my smile slowly fading.

"Hey Heath, I-I just want to say sorry. I didn't been for you to-" My speech was cut short, Heath placing a hand on my shoulder, his hazel eyes locking on mine.

"Sky, if it's about the whole party, brush it off. I went with you, knowing what danger I was in." He said softly, his hazel eyes staying calm as he looked at me, the smile that once was there, gone, the room going cold as I could only look back at him.

"Heath, it's my fault, I'm the one that got you back in this cage." I said softly, looking down at his hand, seeing his hand had a few cuts.

"Sky, I'm telling you, it wasn't your fault. I knew what I was getting into." His voice spoke lightly, his hand lightly brushing a piece of hair behind me ear.

The room fell slightly as I could only look at the ground, still not liking how Heath was taking this so-so nicely. Looking back up at him, it was like it was just me and him back at the ball party, his hazel eyes sparkling, a smile across his face so large, you would of thought it was going to fall off. His hair lightly brushed down, a few hairs poking up, but if you were just meet him, you would of never thought anything of what had taken place. For the moment, I kept the eye contact, his eyes just smiling down back at me, I complete forgot where we were.

Finally able to find my voice, I spoke, my voice falling just above a whisper. "But, why did you look so mad?" I said, feeling his hand brush against my chin, making me look back up at him.

"Sky, I always look mad. It's just how my face is. I was just happy to see you were alive, though, not here." He said, his eyes wondering over to the door for little.