(385): What Was That? (Hiro)

Hiro x Reader requested by iAnimae_34.

-

Hiro sits on the couch in the garage, his hands covering his face. You're supposed to show up at his place any minute now, and he was working himself into a panic attack. His nerves were getting the better of him. How could he tell you what he wants to say? Should he tell you that he's pretty sure he's seriously in love with you? You two are still kids, for crying out loud! And she's in high school! He hardly sees you at all except for on the weekends ever since he skipped grades like crazy and went straight to San Fransokyo Institute of Technology.

There's a knock on the side of the house. He drops his hands. "Hey, kiddo," Aunt Cass says from the open garage door. "___'s here." She grins at him and waves. "I'll leave you two to hang out. Dinner will be ready before too long, so don't eat a lot of junk. I'm mostly talking to you, Hiro."

"I won't, Aunt Cass," he promises.

Hiro looks up to see you, his best friend since elementary school, walk in. "Hey, Hiro." You smile at him and place your laptop and small purse onto his desk.

"Hey," he mumbles, shifting on the couch awkwardly. He moves over so you can sit down if you want.

"Ugh, you'll never believe what happened in lunch today!" you exclaim in horror. "I was sitting alone at my table, just eating my food and studying for my English test, and some kid decoded to throw a piece of his ham and mustard sandwich at me. It got mustard all over my new white hoodie." Your face burns with embarrassment.

"The hoodie Cass got you for Christmas?" Hiro mumbles.

"Yeah," you answer sadly. "I don't know, I know it's really not a big deal, but everyone laughed at me. I don't have any friends there as it is, but they made fun of me. All of them." You cross your arms and look down at your shoes.

Hiro's heart clenches. He's had an experience with bullying himself, being the youngest kid in San Fransokyo to ever graduate high school at the age of thirteen. Eight years of being punched in the face, shoved onto the floor, stuffed in lockers, tripped in the middle of gym class, being called names, and much more left him completely scared and miserable. He never let anyone know that it bothered him. But realizing that you're being bullied, too, leaves him angry and hurt. Who would pick on you? You're perfect! To him, anyways.

He sighs and shakes his head. "___..." You look up and wipe your hand across your cheek. How does he tell you that it probably won't stop? He can't. He can't protect you, either. That leaves comforting you. Hiro holds his arms out and says, "C'mere."

You don't hesitate to sit down next to him. His arms encircle you and pull you close. With your head rested on his chest and your legs curled up on the cushion, you feel safe. "I know that I shouldn't feel this way, but I wish that you were in ninth grade with me. I wish that you never went to college early, and I'm sorry. That's so mean of me to say."

"No," Hiro says, his hands patting your back. "It's okay. Sometimes I wish that I was in high school with you, too. That way I could make sure that no one made fun of you."

"It's not so bad sometimes, but when it does get bad... I miss you a lot." You grip on him tightens, and Hiro imagines what it would be like if he just told you how he felt right now. The moment was perfect. You were close, you were opening up to him, and he was opening up to you. Say it! He screamed in his head. Come on, Hiro, you can do it! She's just a girl! Just ___!

His lips never move to spill out the words that have been building up in his throat for weeks. He sits there in silence, offering you nothing but a warm, friendly embrace. You're such a joke, Hamada. Before too long, you move to grab your laptop and log on. You move to the other side of the sofa, leaving Hiro space to think.

Say it. Just say... '___, I've liked you for a while now. I think you're really pretty now... no, you've always been pretty! You're just... prettier now...' Hiro, you're killing any chance you have while you're practicing in your head. Just. Say. It. Just blurt it out. Come on-!

"___?" Hiro says quickly, his eyes on his lap. "R-Remember how I said that I didn't want anyone to make fun of you?" He takes a quick glance at you. You're staring at your laptop screen, but you're nodding. His eyes fall back down. "Okay, well, I said that b-because I really... I like you, okay? A lot. I think you're hilarious and beautiful and you're the nicest person I've ever known. I might... I might even love you. I know that's crazy because we're only fourteen, but I do. I think you're absolutely amazing. I love you."

Nothing but silence. Hiro tenses as he slowly looks up at you. You turn to him, and much to his dismay, you take out the earbuds he didn't realize were in your ears. "What was that, Hiro?" you ask.

He falls quiet. The loud noises coming from the speakers make his blood pump harshly with embarrassment. His face burns. "N-Nothing."

"No, really. You can tell me."

Hiro shakes his head and stands up. "I'm gonna... uh... just go see if dinner is almost done. I'll be right back."

"Okay. Can you bring me a soda?" You flash him a giant smile.

He returns a smile that's equally as big. "Sure, yeah." He starts towards the door. His legs feel like jelly, his blood still boiling underneath his skin. Great job, Hiro. Now what are you going to do? How are you going to say that again? What did you even say in the first place? Ugh, you really messed up now! Hiro shakes his head as he enters the front door and starts up the steps, cursing the stupid earbuds and the stupid loud music that ruined it all as he goes.