(392): New Job (Tadashi) (Part Two)

Here's part two! Tbh I didn't like how this turned out, but it's fine, I guess.
-

"What is it?" Hiro asks, shoving a scone in his mouth as you clean up the shop. The café has just closed for the night, and Tadashi is upstairs studying.

You look up at him and shake your head. How could he tell there was something wrong? True, you've been acting off all day... but since when does Hiro pay attention? "It's August. School's starting soon."

"Ugh, right. College. Gross." He fake gags as he reaches for a sugar cookie.

"You should really consider applying, Hiro," you say, grabbing a couple of empty trays and dumping the crumbs into a trash bin.

"And sit through boring lectures that'll just teach me what I already know? Ha, no thanks."

"That's not the kind of attitude you should have, knucklehead," Tadashi says as he walks down the steps. He passes behind the counter and smacks his brother on the forehead. Hiro flinches and hits his brother on the back.

"Knock it off, Tadashi!" he grumbles.

"Aunt Cass is gonna kill you if you keep eating sweets," Tadashi points out, bending down and snatching a couple of pastry puffs from the counter.

"And what are you doing? You think she won't kill you?" Hiro asks smugly, shoving another cookie in his mouth.

"I'm an adult," Tadashi reminds him.

You laugh and shake your head. "Okay, did you come down here to pick on your brother or steal leftover dessert?"

Tadashi purses his lips together and looks up, tapping his finger against his head, like he's thinking. "Hm... yes." He looks down at you and grins as you giggle. "But I also wanted to talk to you."

"Oh?" Your eyebrows shoot up in surprise.

"Yuck. I'm going to bed before you two make out or something," Hiro says.

"Hiro," Tadashi warns, his cheeks a bright red.

Hiro snickers. "Right, right. Sorry." Hiro laughs loudly as he sprints up the steps.

Tadashi shakes his head and pinches the bridge of his nose. "Ugh, he is such a pain! I'm sorry, ___. He was just joking around-"

"It's not that big of a deal," you assure him, laughing to lighten the mood. "I expect no less from him, actually."

Tadashi smiles at you. "Yeah, I wouldn't expect anything else, either." He takes off his cap and runs his hand through his hair. "So, um... do you wanna hang out tomorrow afternoon?"

"I would, but I'm driving to San Fransokyo University to take a tour. The semester starts in just a month, and I need to get everything ready."

Tadashi's face falls. "Oh, right. That's fine. Are you looking forward to college?"

"I'm kind of nervous, actually," you say with a small smile.

"Really, why?" he asks.

"Because I've never been smart. I mean, I graduated, but my grades were never... good. And since college is supposed to be crazy hard... I don't know, it's just kind of nerve-racking."

"Yeah, I see what you mean." Tadashi places one hand on your shoulder. "___, you don't have to worry. You're one of the most determined people that I know. You can do this." Tadashi's eyes meet yours, and you find yourself melting in his view. His eyes are such a deep, rich brown that reminds you of dark chocolate. They're warm and sparkling.