(439): Looking Up [Older Hiro]

requested by TurtleTomboy

Christmas/Holiday requests are now CLOSED. Thanks for requesting, everyone! I'll hopefully have all of them up by New Year, but I have a lot of upcoming parties/dinners starting tomorrow. I hope you all have a Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays!

//

You left your house with a smile on your face. The green truck waiting in the snow covered driveway was thundering as it struggled to keep running in the frosty air. It had to have been in the negatives that night; one of the coldest nights in San Fransokyo.

Your gloved hand yanked hard on the passenger side door. It was iced shut. You laughed as Hiro, your boyfriend, leaned over from the driver's side and pushed on the door. It broke open, tiny pieces of ice shattering around your snow boots.

You climbed in, flashed a smile at Hiro, and shut the door tightly. The heat inside the truck burned your frostbit nose. You sniffled and searched for the top of your seatbelt.

"My hero," you said breathlessly to him.

He chuckled and turned up the heat for you. He smiled warmly at you, though you could hardly see it in the light coming off of your porch.

"You're wearing the scarf I got you last year," he noticed, reaching out to run his fingers along the knitted, red fabric.

"Yeah," you said. "It's the first time I could wear it since you bought it for me."

"You look beautiful with it on," he said.

You blushed. Taking off your gloves, you weaved your fingers together with Hiro's. He leaned over and gave you a quick peck on the lips before turning his head to back out of the driveway.

"So what do you have planned?" you asked.

This was the first date you've been on with your boyfriend since before Thanksgiving; finals and projects kept you from spending any time together. In addition, San Fransokyo had a rare and huge blizzard just a couple of days ago.

"The park has some Christmas lights up," he said. "Aunt Cass said it's like a festival or something."

"That sounds great, babe," you said.

Sure enough, when Hiro pulled into the parking lot of San Fransokyo Park, cars were driving in and out. Lights were wrapped around the snow covered trees;  red, blue, white; snowmen, trees, gingerbread men. Hiro parked and you both began your trek up the salted sidewalk, gazing up at the twinkling lights in amazement.

"Hiro, look at that," you gushed, pointing your gloved hand toward the tallest tree. It was wrapped in white lights and adorned with sparkling snowflakes, all twinkling to the music that played in speakers hidden in the bushes. "Isn't it beautiful?"

"Yeah," he agreed, nodding. "That looks sick."

You laughed at him and rolled your eyes. He flashed a grin. The song changed, and the lights dimmed for half a second. When the next song began, Hiro sighed.

"Hiro, are you all right?" you asked.

"Tadashi loved this song," he muttered, shifting his glazed eyes to the snow.

You frowned. You never knew his brother, but Hiro spoke of him often, and he missed him terribly. You could only imagine the pain in his heart every Christmas season.

You reached for his hand and took it tightly. He glanced up at you, a sad smile touching his lips. You leaned close, tucking your hand in the space between his arm and his side.

"I like this song, too," you said.

"You and Tadashi would've gotten along great," he replied.

"I have no doubts about that," you said. You pulled away, keeping just his hand. "Let's get some cocoa, all right?"

"Wait," he said, pulling you back to stand in front of him. He grasped the tops of your arms and squeezed gently. "I love you."

You smiled. "I love you, too."

"Having you here for this Christmas has really helped me," he said. "I couldn't do any of this without you."

You wrapped your arms around his neck, pulling him close. Your red lips spread into a grin as his nose touched yours. He dropped his hands to your waist and kissed your lips lightly.

"I would do anything to take away the pain you feel around Christmas, Hiro," you breathed.

"I know," he whispered.

"Even if it meant that I had to sit out here and freeze," you added, making him laugh. "I love you."

"I love you, princess," he said again. He kissed you.

"So don't force yourself to do things for me," you continued. "I can see how hard it was for you to come out here. You shouldn't expect yourself to just get over this, and I don't expect it, either. If time is what you need, I'll be more than happy to give that to you."

"Thank you," he whispered.

You shivered. "I could really use a cup of hot cocoa right now, though."

Hiro laughed. "Aunt Cass is serving peppermint hot chocolate and and sugar cookies at the café."

"That sounds amazing," you said.

"Let's go, then," he suggested.

He left an arm around your waist. You both started down the sidewalk, playfully kicking snow at each other's boots all the way to the car. Before Hiro hopped in, you heard him whistle along with a Christmas song. You smiled, and silently hoped that he would get better over time.