(414): Ants (Wasabi)

Wasabi x Reader requested by hankbeast. I decided to make this one a married Wasabi x Reader one shot, since it's been a while and I love writing those. 

And for those of you who are asking why I stopped updating What We Need, it's because I didn't like the way the story was heading, so I scrapped over half of it. I'm currently writing in the chapters that I scrapped. It'll be back up and running soon, I promise. ♡

                                -
You can hear the sounds of Wasabi shuffling around in the kitchen. It's late in the morning, which is a normal time for you and your husband to get up on weekends. You yawn and slowly get out of bed, get dressed, and head downstairs.

He's standing at the counter, making two sandwiches. "Hey," you say, making your way over to him.

He smiles over at you and leans down, pressing a kiss to the top of your head. "Good morning, my beautiful, beautiful wife."

"Hm, you're in a cheery mood. What's going on?"

"Can't a guy just appreciate how breathtaking his wife is?" he asks.

"Well sure, I won't stop you. But what's this about? Are we having turkey sandwiches for breakfast?"

"Yes, ma'am." He goes to the sink to wash his hands before he grabs a rag and starts to wash up the counters, wiping away any traces of tomato or mayonnaise. "I thought that today would be the perfect day for a picnic at the park. What do you think?"

"I think you're right," you answer. "I'll go get ready, okay?"

"Alright." He kisses you quickly and softly before you start to the bedroom.

Although the weather is nice out, the only crowded place at the park is the basketball court. Wasabi takes your hand and leads you to a place in the shade, where there's enough sunshine and shade to be comfortable.

You spread out the blanket while he unpacks. Wasabi has brought it all; sandwiches, strawberry lemonade, chocolate chip cookies, your favorite chips, and potato salad. You sit beside him, your left shoulder pressed against his chest.

"More potato salad?" he offers.

"Sure," you say, taking the container from him. You spoon a bit out onto your paper tray and hand it back to him. 

"Ah!" he suddenly shouts in a high-pitched voice. "Ah, ew, ew, ew!"

"What?" you asks. 

He grabs your waist and pushes you up as he screams, "Get up, get up, get up!"

You shoot right up, expecting to see a dead body on the ground or something. "What? What? What is it?" 

He wraps one arm around you and drags you back with him, pointing shakily at the picnic blanket. "Ants!" he shouts in terror. 

"Wha-" You peer down and see a small line of ants, all marching in a line towards the potato salad. "Ants made you scream like that? Seriously, sweetie?" You shake your head and turn towards him. 

"They're disgusting, and they're all over! Look at them!" He holds his head in his hands and groans. "They completely ruined our picnic! And everything that I made..."

"Wasabi," you say with a laugh. "Calm down, dear. Nothing is ruined. We'll just move and throw the potato salad out. There wasn't much left, anyways."

"B-But-" he mumbles, continually shaking his head. "They're ants!"

"I love you, Wasabi," you say. You bend down and start to clean up the mess. He nervously watches from a few feet back. When it's clean, you walk back to him and shrug. "There, that's it. Do you want to go?"

His face falls. "No. Ugh, I'm sorry. I'm such a wimp... but I have a good reason. Those things get everywhere. One minute you're potato salad is perfect, the next, it's just ant food."

You laugh and reach for his hand. He takes it. "Come on, let's go to the playground."

"Why?" he asks. "We don't have kids."

"Yeah, but I want to swing." You grin up at him. 

He chuckles and squeezes your hand. "Alright, alright."

The playground is nearly empty by the time you and Wasabi reach it. The sun is going down, the little kids packed up in their mom's vans with kid's meals on their laps. You sit on the swing and look up at your husband. 

He crosses his arms and sighs. "You expect me to push you, don't you?"

"What are husbands for?" you ask. 

He rolls his eyes and walks around you. You feel his hands against your back as he pushes you forward. As you swing back, he presses his lips to the back of your head. "I love you."

You look up at the sky and close your eyes. "I love you, too." You drag your foot across the mulch to slow the swing. Wasabi grabs the chains and pulls you to a stop. He walks around you. He just stands there, his dark brown eyes gazing at you. "Aren't you gonna kiss me?"

"But there are kids-"

"We're the only ones here, silly!" you exclaim. 

He chuckles and bends down. His lips land softly on yours. He holds the chains of the swing tightly as he tilts his head. You sigh against his mouth and pull away. You nuzzle your nose against his before he pulls back. 

"Ready to go?"

"Not yet. Push me again?"

He rolls his eyes and starts to push you again. You laugh at him and close your eyes, enjoying the wind against your face as it blows through your hair. Suddenly, there's a loud, high-pitched squeal coming from behind you. You gasp and stop the swing, turning quickly. Wasabi is running off as fast as he can. 

"What in the-?" you mumble. You cup your hands around your mouth. "Hey, what are you doing?" you scream. 

"There were ants on the swing!" he shouts back. 

You roll your eyes and look up at the couple of ants that are crawling around on the metal links. You can't help but laugh at how ridiculous he is, but you can't help but love him for it.