(413): Why (Older Hiro)

So I was watching Boy Meets World (which has been my favorite show since I was a small child) and I had a bit of inspiration after one episode to write something that has been requested a couple of times before.

-

It had been four days, and you still couldn't believe it. Your best friend, Hiro Hamada, a seventeen year old robotics prodigy that you had been crushing on for months, was dating Ashley. Ashley wasn't your friend, or someone that you could even tolerate. She was incredibly cruel to you. But what bothered you wasn't that. It was that Hiro knew how evil she was, and he asked her out, anyways.

He had been there to hold you during each and every breakdown you had after each name she called you. He had complained about how stuck up she was. He had made comments about how no one in their right minds would want to date someone who wore skirts that short and foundation that orange. You would elbow him every time he said that.

"What, she's mean to you!"

"Yeah, but that doesn't give you an excuse to be mean to her, Hiro."

"Well, she's mean to you! Someone who's mean to you deserve it."

And now he was walking hand in hand with her to the cafeteria. You stood at the corner by the bathrooms, watching sadly. He laughs lightly and she giggles. She reaches up and presses her lips against his cheek softly.

Hiro's chocolate brown eyes glance over at you. "H-Hey, ___."

You freeze and stiffen. You tear your eyes from him and walk away, keeping your head down.

"Don't bother with her, Hiro," you could hear Ashley say. "She's not worth anything."

The tears were streaming before you could even run into the bathroom. How could he stand there and hold her and kiss her after she had treated you so terribly? Hiro had always treated you like you were the only person in the world. When you were struggling in your Robotics class, he tutored you. When you were sad and crying on Saturday night, he brought scary movies over and held you when they got too scary. When his brother died, you stayed at his house and sat next to him, never letting go of his hand. When he showed you that he was actually part of Big Hero 6, you laughed and asked if you could join.

He had been with you since your first day here in San Fransokyo three years ago, and you two had clicked right away. It was so easy for him to talk to you. And yet, he was with the one person that made your life miserable.

Your Advanced Engineering class was the hardest part of the day. The day Hiro had asked out Ashley, he left your lab table and left you without a partner. That was the hardest part of it; you hadn't even known until that moment. It broke your heart. You picked up your books and ran out of the class, ignoring the concerned glances you received. And now you were forced to watch them cuddle and kiss during class every day.

Today, Hiro wasn't there by the time you stepped inside of the class. Ashley was, though, and she was applying a fresh coat of dark orange foundation. You walked by her desk to get to yours. You weren't paying enough attention the the pink heel that shot out from the desk. You tripped over her leg and fell flat on your face.

"Oops," she says cheerfully. "I'm sorry, ___. I just didn't see you there."

You sit up and ignore her, your face burning a bright red.

"What, can't talk?" she asks with a pout. "Look, just take it as a warning. Don't look at my boyfriend ever again, and you won't be tripped again. Deal?"

You look at her and force a smile. "Maybe I'm not looking at your boyfriend. Maybe I'm looking at the orange mess on your face and wondering 'how many carrots has she been eating in her strict diet?'"

Ashley's smile faltered and she shot up from her seat. She grabs onto your wrist and holds you into place. "Do you realize what I can do to you?" she growls. "You're nothing to me and nothing to him. Don't you see that I won?"

You yank away from her and raise your hand. Before you can think to stop yourself, your hand has already smacked roughly against her cheek. "You have no right to talk to me. Who Hiro asks out is none of my business. He's nothing to me anymore." You turn around and collide right into his chest. You look up at Hiro and almost let yourself break. He looks incredibly sad. Instead, you walk around him and leave the class.

You're heading towards your car quickly. All you want is a night alone in your apartment with weird movies and lots of snacks. You need a break from all of this; from Hiro, from Ashley, from campus...

"___!" he shouts. You speed up and grab the handle of the driver's side door. You yank the door open. Hiro's hand shoots out and slams the door closed. "Wait."

"Get your hand off my car, Hiro," you say sternly.

"Not until you listen to me!"

"I don't have to listen to anything you say," you reply. You glare at him. "Get away from me. I don't want to hear about anything your girlfriend has to say about me. As far as I'm concerned, she deserved everything I did to her."

"I agree," he says.

You stop and roll your eyes. "Whatever. That's your girlfriend-"

"Not anymore!" he says. "Stop and listen to me for a second! ___, I only dated her to get your attention!"

You freeze. Your words become jumbled as they leave your tongue. "M-My attention?" you force out. "What do you mean by that?"

He smiles and shakes his head. "___, you mean so much to me. I only wanted your attention."

"You're sick," you say to him. "Hiro Hamada, you had my attention from day one. Why do you think I stayed up all night with you after Tadashi died, or brought you coffee at three in the morning during finals week? Why do you think I took you out to dinner, to the movies, hugged you? I've been in love with you since the beginning, but you just left me for the girl that had made my life miserable for months. Why?"

His face fell. "I-I'm sorry. I was stupid-"

"You think?" you scoff, crossing your arms and looking away.

Hiro reaches out and touches your cheek. "Hey, wait. I wasn't thinking. I'm so sorry, ___. I was just panicking because I knew that I wasn't enough for you, and I never would be, but I love you."

"I love you," you breathe. "I just... I just... why?"

He smiles. "Because I'm stupid, you said so yourself." You laugh a little and look away. "Wait." You look back up at him and his other hand cups your other cheek. You let in a sharp intake of breath as his eyes fall to your lips and he starts to lean in.

"H-Hiro-" you breathe.

He smiles and his lips touch yours. He kisses you softly, his fingers cradling your face with so much care that it feels like you're floating. He pulls back and smiles. "By the way, your comeback to Ashley was weak but awesome."

You laugh. "Um, thanks?"

"Anytime." He drops his hands. His fingers blindly find yours. "So... movies at my place? I'll even buy us a couple of coffees."

"Hiro, you live on top of a coffee shop that your Aunt owns. You don't have to pay for coffee."

He rolls his eyes. "Right, right. Look, I'll take you out for ice cream, then."

"That's better." You squeeze his hand and open up the driver's side door. He walks around and opens the passenger door. "Wait, Hiro. Shouldn't you break up with Ashley first?"

"Nah, I think she got where I was heading when I decided to run after the girl who slapped my girlfriend instead of comfort her. She was screaming at me when I left."

You laugh and roll your eyes. "You seriously are stupid, Hiro."

"I know. Good thing you still love me."