(398): Still Beautiful (Wasabi)

Wasabi x Reader requested by RebeccaMeagher. I didn't have actual braces- I had invisalign - but they were equally as painful and not as invisible as they say. Literally everyone noticed them and my gums bled all of the time because the sharp plastic cutting my gums. It's INSANE.

Also - all tags will be going into my new book: Book of Tags

So be sure to check that out if you want. ♡♡

-
"Alright, Miss ___," your orthodontist says, grabbing a mirror off of the desk. "Here's the start of a new you!" She shows you your reflection.

Your mouth is lazily pulled up into a forced smile, revealing the metal brackets spread across your teeth. Your tongue prods at the metal wires. You wince.

"What do you think?" he asks.

"They're... nice," you lie. "Thank you." Your gums are practically throbbing against your teeth in agony. You get off of the chair and follow the dentist to finish filling out paperwork.

You're eighteen. Eighteen and getting braces. 'This is ridiculous. I look incredibly dumb.' You're angry at yourself, at your parents, and at the cost for keeping you from getting them until you needed to be mature.

You're sent out of the office. As soon as you get into your car, you check your reflection in the mirror. "Stupid," you mutter, "so stupid."

Your phone rings as you start the car. You answer is without looking. "Hello?"

"Hey, sweetie," the voice of your boyfriend, Wasabi, says in your ear. "How was it?"

"Painful," you answer truthfully, prodding at your gums with your tongue. "It feels like someone punched me in the teeth."

"I'm sorry," he says. "How about you come down to the labs and hang out with me? I'll even buy ice cream."

You smile. "Sure-" Then you remember your reflection. The grey metal covering your teeth, swelling up your lips and cheeks. Your smile fades into a frown. "No, I - uh - I can't."

"Why not?" he asks sadly.

"I've got studying to do," you lie. "I'm sorry, Wasabi. I love you."

"Ah, no big deal. Love you, too," he says.

"I love you more," you continue.

"I seriously doubt that," he replies with a laugh. "Bye, ___."

"Bye." You hang up the phone and drop it into your purse. You take a deep breath through your sore mouth and whimper. 'Were these even worth it?'

At home, you're standing in front of your bathroom mirror. After an attempt to brush away the taste of metal, you're left with tears in your eyes and a destroyed toothbrush. You swish mouthwash around your mouth, wincing as it splashes against the cuts on your gums. The pain is unbearable. Your eyes keep stealing glances at the pair of scissors on the shelf. 'Just cut the metal. Tell the dentists that you're done with these things. They are not worth it. Nothing is worth this pain.' You shut your eyes and groan. "Stop it, ___. This is worth it. It is." You push yourself away from the sink and go to the kitchen. You decide to fill a kitchen towel with ice cubes and press it against your swollen cheek. You take a dose of painkillers and get a glass of iced tea. Anything cold to keep the pain down sounds good to you. You're starting to rethink your decision on getting ice cream with Wasabi. Ice cream sure sounds like it would help right now... You lean against the counter and shut your eyes.

Your phone buzzes, making you grit your teeth in annoyance. You yelp and mentally smack yourself. "You're brilliant, ___," you mumble quietly. "Just. Brilliant." You pick it up and read the text from Wasabi:

Open the door

You do. Wasabi's standing there with a tub of ice cream in his hands. "Hey, sweetie," he says. He frowns and touches your chin. "You're pretty swollen... I am sorry. I know that it really stinks, huh? Are you in a lot of pain?"

You nod, afraid to open your mouth and let him see. You move aside and let him step inside. Wasabi sets the ice cream on the counter and starts grabbing bowls and spoons out of the cabinets and drawers. "I even brought chocolate syrup and rainbow sprinkles," he says. "I had braces when I was thirteen, and I remember how bad it hurt. Just don't eat any hard foods. Mashed potatoes for dinner, oatmeal for breakfast, applesauce and ice cream for snacks."

You nod and sit down at the coffee table. Wasabi looks over at you and smiles. "Smile," he says. Your eyes widen as you shake your head. "C'mon, ___. I've had them, too."

You cover your mouth with your hand as you speak. "When you were thirteen."

Wasabi brings over both bowls of ice cream and takes a seat. "It's doesn't matter. Sweetie, I'll think you're beautiful whether you have crooked teeth or braces. You're so perfect in my eyes." He gently grabs your face in his hands. You slowly drop your hand and curl your lips up into a smile, revealing your braces. "See?" he whispers, tracing his thumb across your bottom lip. "Still beautiful."

"I love you," you breathe, reaching up and pulling his face to yours. He kisses you softly. "Ow."

"Sorry," he says, pulling back. He strokes your cheek and pushes the bowl towards you. "You'd better eat it while it's frozen. Seriously, the one good thing about getting braces is the ice cream."

"I do love ice cream," you agree, shoving a spoonful into your mouth. You sigh in relief. The cold really does help you out. "Thank you, Wasabi." You link your arm with his and snuggle next to him, no longer acting bothered by your braces.