(406): Lingers (Tadashi)

More Tadashi x Reader where Tadashi has survived the fire as requested by MANY of you. In case you haven't realized, I'm doing the requests that were asked for by many to get them out of the way.

-
The pain was blinding.

The pain had knocked him off of his feet. One minute, he was watching his professor slip Hiro's neurotransmitter headband over his head, the next, there was a wave of heat and agony over him. He remembers screaming, but not if there was a sound coming out. His body was writhing under the excruciating pain; trying to wiggle out of it. His body longed for a cool surface, a drop of water. Just one drop of water on his tongue. Just one quick rush of relief, that's all he longed for.

When he got it, it wasn't like he thought.

He could feel hands dragging him out of the flames. He knew that he was being lifted, being saved. Or was he? Was it just a sick illusion that his head was using to block out the pain? Tadashi could feel himself fading out of reality and back into the reality of the raging flames.

-

When he came to, his vision was blurry.

A small cry of pain exited his lips from the nights of agonizing sleep.

"Shh, shh! Tadashi, Tadashi, can you hear me? Sweetie, I'm here. I'm here." That voice. Tadashi peeled his eyelids open and tilted his head to the left, catching sight of the most beautiful person he's ever seen.

"___," he breathed. You, his girlfriend of three happy years, were sitting next to him. He could finally focus on your face. You were beautiful; just as perfect as when he had seen you last. You looked so tired, though. There were tears running out of your (e/c) eyes that were so heavily shadowed with purple. Guilt overcame him immediately. What had he done that resulted in so many sleepless nights for you?

"'Dashi, I missed you," you whispered. He lifted his hand off of the sheet. He wanted to touch your face; to stroke your cheek, to brush the hair off of your forehead, to trace the outline of your lips with his fingers. A wave of pure pain crashes over his body at the smallest movement. "No, don't move."

Tadashi dropped his eyes down to his lap. There was a sheet over his bare legs, but his hands were resting next to his thighs. And something was wrong with them. They were wrapped up in white gauze that stopped at his wrists. From there, his entire arm was red and blistered. It nearly brought vomit into his throat. "Wh-" He didn't realize that he was crying until the salty tears hurt his sensitive cheeks.

"'Dashi, calm down," you breathed, your voice soft and filled with concern. "Do you remember what happened?"

He searched his head for the exact memory. "Callaghan..." he answered, his eyes not leaving his arms. "I went to save Professor Callaghan, and then it hurt. It was so hot, and I couldn't see. I couldn't see anything, and I tried to scream, but I was choking. I fell or something, but the pain didn't stop." He looked up when he heard you choking down a sob.

"I'm sorry, Tadashi," you said.

"H-How long was I out?"

"Almost a month," you answered. "Aunt Cass and Hiro went home to catch up on sleep. I called them as soon as you started to stir. They're on their way."

He could feel his lips curling up into a smile. It hurt his face, but he couldn't stop it. He wanted to see his family more than anything. "___, how bad was it?"

Your voice was the quietest whisper he had ever heard when you said, "Your heart stopped three times the first night. You slipped into a coma right after. They weren't sure if you would wake up with a memory of what happened, us, or even how to talk."

"I'm so sorry."

You shook your head and smiled. "Don't be. You're okay now, 'Dashi. We'll get through this and we'll be together."

Shock overcame Tadashi as your words lingered between you and him. "You still want me?"

You leaned forward and smiled. "Tadashi Hamada, I'll want you everyday for the rest of my life. Nothing that has happened will ever change that."

Now, as Tadashi lays on his side, his left arm draped over you're sleeping body, he believes your words. He never doubted your loyalty, but there was always a part of him that thought you would flee at each trip to the ER, each time he would fall down during physical therapy as he learned to walk again, each time he forgot something small, each time he brushed through his hair and watched a clump of dead strands fall to the floor, each time you took a glance at any of his skin.

He's completely disfigured. Not in a way where his skin was pink, slightly blistered. It's five years after that, and other than having a golden ring on his finger to signify your love, he's the exact same. Because of the fire, he's forever changed.

His skin is wrinkled, reddened, drooped, in constant need of lotions and cremes to keep it from cracking. His hair has grown back, but it doesn't stay for long. Rarely does he ever get a full head of hair without a couple of bald spots.

No one would ever find him beautiful.

But here you are, perfect. Small and fragile in his arms, curled up around the small baby bump forming at your abdomen. Your hair is sprawled across the pillow, your eyes closed. Tadashi lays his cheek on yours, gazing down at your perfect body, face, and hair. The tank top that you wear is pulled up because of your growing belly. He smiles. His fingers trace the bare skin of your stomach. He leaves kisses against your neck and jaw.

You're so perfect. Despite him looking as he does, you find goodness and perfection in his heart and soul. You married him for who he is, not for what others thought of him. You once said that you could never picture your life without him, and that everytime you look at Tadashi, you don't see what everyone else sees. While everyone scoffs and grimaces and turns away at him, you gaze lovingly. You touch him as if his skin is normal. You kiss him as if his lips aren't always chapped and dry. You grin at him as if he's just as he was before the flames engulfed him. And now you lay here, sleeping soundly in his hold. Tadashi continually caresses your stomach, right where his baby son or daughter is. The happiness woven through his little family masks any pain of what happened previously.

Although the pain of the fire lingers in your lives, it doesn't consume it.

Tadashi buries his face in the back of your neck.

"I love you."

-
So this was different, but I really liked it tbh.