Chapter 22

A week later

Leanne was in her office finishing up on a patients notes when there was a knock on Leanne's door she looked up to see Neal at the door.

"What's wrong Neal are the kids alright?" Leanne said bluntly

"Hello to you too Lee, the kids are fine calm down"

Leanne frowned "then why are you here?"
Neal chuckled "always straight to the point aren't you Leanne"

Leanne sighed and looked away from Neal for a second " I am actually here because , I have a favour to ask, could you possibly pick up lolly and Maddie from a friend's house and possibly drop them to cheer and horsing riding?Jackson is at a friends house for the night so, need to worry about him at this moment"

There was a slight pause until Leanne spoke again "Yes I can... but why can't you, take them?"

Neal rubbed the back of his head and chuckled "If you don't want to be part of their lives then fine Leanne, I will ask someone else to do it"

Leanne glared at Neal "Of course I want to be part of their lives Neal what a stupid question".

"Well then what is the problem? You are providing transport for your children and their friend which is a parent's job" Neal asked bluntly

"Nothing, I know, what time do I need to be there?" Neal handed Leanne a piece of paper

"You need to pick the girls up at 11, I have another favour could you have the girls over tonight I have to work all today and tomorrow and because I could be gone all day"

"Ok but, are the girls ok with this. I mean me looking after them?" Leanne had a worried look on her face

"They'll understand and anyway you wanted to spend time with them now here's your chance"

"No Of course I will do it, I'd love to Neal" Neal smiled at Leanne "thank you for this" Neal left Leanne's office.

Later that afternoon Leanne was busy doing her job "Ermm Leanne, aren't you meant to pick the girls up round about now?" Jesse looked at his watch and Leanne glanced at the big clock on centre stage wall.

"Shit" Leanne took off her white coat and shoved it at A nurse  and chucked her gloves in the bin "Jesse will you come with me, you have how many sisters? You know what car-pooling involves" Jesse followed Leanne out of the ER  "I have 3 sisters by the way" they left the Hospital and jumped in the car because they were running behind. Once they pulled up outside the friend's house Maddie and Lolly were sitting on the steps waiting for her with bored and rather angry looks upon their faces. Leanne got out of the car and the girls got up of the step and made their way over to Leanne dumping their bags in front of Leanne for her to pick up.

"Hi, I'm Maddie and Lolly's mum" Leanne said to Maddie's friend who smiled sweetly.

"your late" lolly said bluntly as she chucked her bag on the ground and opened the door of the car when Jesse grabbed the door "you can give your mother a break" lolly rolled her eyes and got into the back of the car leaving Leanne to pick up their bags and put them in the boot of the car. Maddie got into the car next to lolly and Maddie's  friend sat next to Lolly.

Leanne got in to the car, dropped Maddie's friend home and then they headed off to drop the girls home. The ride in the car was quiet until Leanne spoke "how was cheer and horse riding?" Leanne looked at lolly and Maddie waiting for their replies.

Maddie was the first to speak up "It was so much fun" Maddie squealed and lolly just rolled her eyes and looked out the window rather than look at "her".

"Lolly how was cheer practice?" Leanne pushed at the question

"Fine" lolly mumbled

"well that's good, so your dad mention to you that you're staying at my place tonight so I thought it would be nice to invite grandma over for dinner what do you think?"

"Awesome" Maddie smiled and Lolly just shrugged "whatever"

-

Lolly was on the couch watching TV, while Leanne and Maddie cooked dinner until they heard a knock at the door "you keep stirring", Leanne smiled at her youngest as she put down her wine glass and answered the door

"Leanne dear how are you?" Joan smiled as her daughter answered the door "who died?"

"What?" Leanne looked confused

"It's not every day your own daughter invites you over for dinner" Joan smirked

Leanne just rolled her eyes "lolly and Maddie are here I thought you might of wanted to see them that's all" Leanne moved aside as her mother walked into the house.
" what no Jackson?" Joan asked
" he's at a friends for the night" Joan nodded.

-

"Dinners ready" Leanne called out from the kitchen Joan and Maddie moved from the bench to the dining table and lolly slowly dragged her self away from her TV show

15 minutes into dinner

"So how was work today Leanne?" Joan asked, as her conversation with lolly was not going far

"I knew it wouldn't take long before this whole night turns out to be about mom and her work," Lolly said in a raised voice before getting up and walking to the spare room

"Um thanks for dinner mom I'm going to go to bed" Maddie walked over and hugged her grandma "it was good to see you I missed you" Maddie smiled at the both of them before heading off to the second spare room

Leanne took a long sip of wine before making eye contact with her mother "so why did you invite me over Leanne?"

"I don't know what to do anymore my life's a mess, Neal hates me, lolly hates me, Maddie and Jackson I don't know" Leanne said giving her mother a weak smile.